Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2020, 04:41 PM   #1

Prowatt transfer switch

Hi, I have just purchased the prowatt transfer switch h to go with my prowatt 2000 inverter. My trailer is 30 feet long with the inverter in the front storage area and my electrical panel is in the back of the trailer so my question is do I run two wires to the back of the trailer and plug the switch into the inverter or run a heavy duty extension cord to the panel area and plug the switch into that.
popeye1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2020, 09:04 AM   #2

It does not matter...

I am assuming you will use the transfer switch to switch between shore power and inverter power.

Put the switch near the main power panel. Shore power carries more current than the inverter. Use the longer 12 gauge cable to the inverter instead of the larger 10 gauge cable needed for a 30 amp shore power cable.

The most important issue is to keep the inverter close to the battery bank.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 12:52 AM   #3

Thank you for the advice much appreciated.Now where do I connect both sides inside the panel. There's not much info out there really. I was thinking of getting an electrician for the panel connection or is it something simple that I. Not seeing?
popeye1447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:26 AM   #4

What I did, was pick the circuit breaker for the outlet that I wanted the inverter to power and followed that wire out of the back of breaker box.

I cut that wire and wired the cut end FROM the breaker to the IN terminals. Then I wired the cut end, that leads to the outlets, to the OUT terminals.

I used an extetnsion cord from the plug on the Auto transfer switch to the plug on the inverter, which was near the batteries.

I only instalked a 1000 watt inverter and run a coffee maker, TV system and phone chargers/laptop computer chargers.

What are you trying to run with a 2000 watt inverter ?

If you want to run a gas/electric fridge on inverter, don't. It will run your batteries down FAST. A residental 120 volt only type is OK.

A microwave will be at the top if the inverters capacity but OK for short 4 to 5 minute runs. Probably need at least 200 AH of batteries ( 2 GP31s, 2 GC2s ).
Same with a toaster or hair dryer, lots of watts consumed. A mixers not to bad.

Never run your converter/ charger from the inverter. You can't charge batteries from themselves. Air condition will run for a very short time, unless you have 6 or more batteries and my still overload the 2000 watt inverter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, transfer switch