Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2021, 12:56 PM   #1

Quality small TT

I have always had an RV. I started with one of the first Motor Homes called a "Westfalia"... lol. Then we bought a EXCELL 22' TT (1979). Lasted 15 years with 2 kids and only a water pump go bad (never replaced because all I had to do was tap on it with the end of a screwdriver to get it to work). Then graduated to a Carriage 5th > A large DP MH > back to a GD TT. I also now have a small TT for USFS CG, booning, and National park type camping. I am now LOOKING FOR the best QUALITY small (18-22' in actual measurement) TT to replace this small piece of Keystone junk. Weight is not a problem. I want interior hardwoods and walls thicker than 3/16 of an inch, lots of windows, and mechanicals that are reliable and not sub-standard. Water fixtures should be residential, modern electronics LOGICALLY placed throughout. Exterior frame and accessories should not rust. Finally, (here's the kicker) reasonably priced. Since all RVs depreciate, "reasonable" is not unreasonable. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?
JJtravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #2

what you describe doesn't exist......and if it did, it wouldn't be what most would consider "reasonably priced".

All there is available are the better trailer brands; Outdoors RV, Arctic Fox, Nash, Lance, etc. but they all use the same appliances, windows, accessories, axles, etc. with minor changes.

There are some "outside the box" offroad units like the Black Series trailers, but even then there are some compromises and I'm not sure I'd consider their cost "reasonable".

The closest I've come to what you describe was when we built some customized mini toy haulers from commercial cargo trailers......but it still wasn't cheap and my 16' trailer ended up at 6,500 lbs loaded.

After looking at many different brands and a ton of really crappy stuff, I bought an Outdoors RV 21RBS and I'd buy it again. It still has Norcold, Dexter, Suburban, Maxair, etc. etc. etc. and it's not perfect......but it has a heavy duty frame, decent suspension with shocks, good tires, large tank capacity, dual pane windows and thicker walls, etc. than most others.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 10-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #3

My ORV 24KRS had a pretty decent kitchen faucet, but the bathroom faucet could not have cost ORV more than $1.27. Fortunately it is pretty easy to upgrade that sort of thing.

My Arctic Fox has pretty decent plumbing fixtures. The range, oven, and microwave are all Furrion. They look and feel good, but I don’t know how they will hold up.

I’ve never had an issue with Norcold or Suburban components.

My advice is get a trailer that has the basic floor plan and size you like, and plan to upgrade it yourself.

I like Arctic Fox. I was a little disappointed in my ORV, but I might have just gotten a “Friday special”.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #4

+1 on Arctic Fox

Like you we have been up the entire scale of RV types.

The only thing I have found wrong with my Arctic Fox after 2 years is that one speaker output(6 total) of the Jensen dvd / cd / radio doesn't work. I don't care enough about it to pursue the fix.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:50 PM   #5

I have tow tt and a mh. One is a toy hauler made by play-mor. It is a solid sturdy trailer. If you don't want a toy hauler, I would visit with them as they could build to suit. Basically the toy hauler is metal sides, metal roof, solid and sturdy. It might be worth looking into and talking with them.
Kenrbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:59 PM   #6

If you want quality in a small package then look at Oliver and Bigfoot.
Oliver is about as good as it gets for a TT in a small package.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #7

Agree, Oliver, and Bigfoot are great brands. If you can find a decent used one, they don’t lose much value. Anything new today is way overpriced.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Also look at Escape and Oliver trailers. Quality and pricey.

Ken
Old 10-24-2021, 09:51 AM   #9

Lots of good advice above!

All of the recommended TT's will likely seem wonderful since you have a Keystone. Likely hood of bad experience with Keystone, Dutchman, and Voltage is high.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:24 AM   #10

Our current trailer, number 4, has been the best quality of all. It tows great, solid, no failures, break downs, or build quality issues. It’s a 2021 22’ Airstream 22FB. It’s also the most expensive trailer we’ve had, but worth it.
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #11

TT

25’ Airstream Flying Cloud FBT
Best TT we’ve had
Old 11-02-2021, 06:47 PM   #12

Airstream!
Pick your size they have every size
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 05:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJtravel View Post
I have always had an RV. I started with one of the first Motor Homes called a "Westfalia"... lol. Then we bought a EXCELL 22' TT (1979). Lasted 15 years with 2 kids and only a water pump go bad (never replaced because all I had to do was tap on it with the end of a screwdriver to get it to work). Then graduated to a Carriage 5th > A large DP MH > back to a GD TT. I also now have a small TT for USFS CG, booning, and National park type camping. I am now LOOKING FOR the best QUALITY small (18-22' in actual measurement) TT to replace this small piece of Keystone junk. Weight is not a problem. I want interior hardwoods and walls thicker than 3/16 of an inch, lots of windows, and mechanicals that are reliable and not sub-standard. Water fixtures should be residential, modern electronics LOGICALLY placed throughout. Exterior frame and accessories should not rust. Finally, (here's the kicker) reasonably priced. Since all RVs depreciate, "reasonable" is not unreasonable. ANY RECOMMENDATIONS?
You will either love it or hate it, but take a look at Sundowner Trailblazer. It does look like a cargo trailer, but it is built. I just bought a 2022 model 2086. Box is 20.5 ft, overall it is 24, and it is 8.5 ft wide. All Aluminum construction, aluminum walls, floor, roof and decking (no TPO or EDPM) ... And the entire frame is aluminum, not steel. No Darco underbelly, it is diamond plate aluminum. Torsion axle suspension, hardwood cabinets, crown molding around the ceiling and the largest RV Bath I have ever seen in a trailer. I have owned 11 RV's in my life and finally just decided I wanted quality over anything else. I bought this trailer and immediately took it on a 4,500 mile trip. No issues whatsoever. Just my .02, but I am very happy and frankly like the fact it doesn't look like every other RV. Good Luck!
Gregors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality