RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

Question about Grand Design "Real" Price

** I didn't see a Grand Design owners' forum, so I'm posting here. Mods please feel free to move the thread if need be. **

My wife and I have found a travel trailer with a floorplan that we like. We have noticed looking at various dealer websites that the "dealer discount" or markdown from MSRP for Grand Designs is about half (10-20%) as for other brands (25-40%).

I was wondering from any Grand Design owners if this is typical of your experience & how much negotiating room you have with a dealer. Does GD simply have less of an MSRP markup over dealer cost, or a dealers just charging a premium for this product & there's still plenty of negotiating room?

The salesperson messaged me yesterday with a quote of a "sale price" barely 10% off MSRP. I would think I'd be able to negotiate down a couple thousand dollars more (closer to 20% off MSRP). I'm sure as fall hits the pricing will only shift in my favor, though it is a newer floorplan & 2020 model - Transcend Xplor 265BH.

Any input & advice would be appreciated & thanks.
Fridge56Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Grand Design is owned by Winnebago so perhaps it should be there. If people are willing to pay close to MSRP why would they discount more than needed to sell them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #3

As I've seen on GD forum and FB groups, most people have been successful in negotiating about 30-33% off msrp.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fridge56Vet View Post
** I didn't see a Grand Design owners' forum, so I'm posting here. Mods please feel free to move the thread if need be. **
Here are few links to the Grand Design forums.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/foru...-Design-Owners
and this one run by Grand Design.

https://gdrv4life.granddesignrv.com

I prefer the first one most.

I'm not sure why they do not have a section for Grand Design on IRV2.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #5

Thanks, will check out.
Fridge56Vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 03:11 PM   #6

Check out this site: https://seedealercost.com/products/c...egorySlug/recv
It takes a bit of navigating, but you can find the invoice price for the trailer in which you are interested. I found it to be very accurate.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner9 View Post

I'm not sure why they do not have a section for Grand Design on IRV2.

I do wonder why Grand Design is not on here. Is IRV2 a manufacture supported site that only allows certain makes to have a section for themselves or what ? There are a lot of Grand Design owners out there for fact. Their numbers are growing very fast. I think they were started in 2012 and were bought out a few years past by Winnebago. They make and build about the same as all the others , but they really support their campers for issues above and beyond.
Rolling Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #8

We are always shopping, so we have looked at dozens of Grand Designs. We have even pulled buyers orders on several that we were seriously considering.

In Florida, new ones are significantly higher priced than like-equipped competitors. Used ones, however, are priced THE SAME as those same competitors.

That tells me that you eat a lot more depreciation on a Grand Design than most other brands. It also shows that it is a great idea to buy a lightly used one and save a bundle.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design