Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Questions before buying a TT

Hello all and tks if you can offer anything.

We are selling our 39 ft class A gas rig and looking now for a TT. So while we know a bit about RV's, nothing about TTs.

1. In class A's, there are clearly OK, great and high end units regarding build quality and reliability. Does this apply to TT's? Any brand recommendations or "stay away from" thoughts?
2. Can you survive on one AC or is the second AC a good idea?
3. Have never towed a TT. Our class A needed suspension help to go from horrible to pretty good. Do stabilizers really work on windy days??
4. Do TT brakes stop the TT, or just assist and the auto brakes must do some of the work?
5. General "watch out for" comments welcome.

May buy used but hope for new, probably at least 33 ft size, mostly in RV parks with little dry camping, just two of us retired folks. Oh, and one pug creature named Yoda.

Tks all
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 PM   #2

Questions before buying a TT

I have only owned the TT that we have now as far as any kind of RV goes, so my information will be limited.
The trailer brakes do stop the trailer based on having a good trailer brake controller that is adjusted properly. Most of the newer trucks have built in brake controllers if they have the tow package. A trailer as long / heavy as you may be talking will need dual sway bars if you have the standard WD hitch. I have heard great things about some of the new hitches that do both at the same time that claim to totally eliminate sway.
You need as much tow vehicle power as you can afford to make towing less strenuous. If it is just the two of you, you may want to consider a shorter trailer, since the length of a trailer is all livable space where a MH is partly cab and engine area. A 33' trailer, plus the tongue, plus the hitch, plus say a 20' tow vehicle is a little harder to maneuver, but can be done. As some people say "you can never have too much truck", I would also say you could never have too much A/C, ha. Like ALL RVs, better insulation and dual pane windows, would help. Most of the nicer trailers have "ducted" A/C, so one large one would actually reach and should cool all areas of the trailer.
One "watch out for" is the tires. Even new, there are some BAD trailer tires, (Chinese bombs).
Most MHs have built in generator, but I don't know of any TT that does, so you will need a nice quiet generator if you don't have electric hookup. The best set up seems to be two 2000 Honda's or similar linked together for the A/C use. You can then just use one when full power is not needed.
You didn't say why you are wanting to change, or what you will tow with, but I am sure you will enjoy it all just the same. Good luck with it and let us know what you get and post pictures.
BigBill3111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:06 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think if you start reading on this forum you will find the answers to your questions and a few answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet. Take your time in this new venture and don't believe anything a salesman tells you.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:30 PM   #4

Appalachian Campers
1. Oh yes, I've got a Sierra 5er and it's MSRP is $61K, similar Cardinals come in around $100K. All depends on your needs, taste and wallet. I've got to say my Sierra is really nice and I have loose plans on living in it in the near future.

2. A second AC is always nice, but I've done fine on a single unit. I'd go second AC if possible, end of the day it will be worth it.

3. Stabilizers, sway control are all worth while. There's variations on a theme, some love the Andersen WD hitch, it looks intriguing enough. I've got the Andersen 5th wheel hitch and it works well. Now, unless you're stuck on a TT, a fifth wheel takes care of the sway issues amazingly well. I was really impressed with how solid my 5er feels compared to my TT which pulled nicely.

4. The trailer brakes are supposed to stop the trailers weight. I set my controller up where I can feel the trailer pull back on the truck slightly so I know all is well.

5. Nothing big to mention, mind your storage options because you're likely to be disappointed going from an A to a TT. Again, a fifth wheel tends to do better than a TT in that respect also. Since you haven't mentioned your truck I'm assuming you will be buying one, get a diesel, stay away from Ford 6.0 engines, get bigger than you need.

Have fun with it!
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:40 AM   #5

I say if you're over 25 ft and spending any time in the south during the summer deffinitely consider a 2nd A/C unit.

My 30' in the Texas summer heat and sun will cool ok on it's one a/c unit, but won't get as comfortable as I'd like without having a lot of shade to help it out.

If I had it to do over again, I'd buy a TT that size with a second a/c even though it would mean stepping up to needing 50 a amp service.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:42 AM   #6

Evergreen Owners Club
If you research the Outdoors RV travel trailers you will find the quality you are looking for. I researched for hundreds of hours and finally stumbled onto the Outdoors RV travel trailers. Top of the line is the Blackstone line. This is what I will be traveling to Utah for on the 30th of this month. These trailers are insulated at least twice as well as any of the so called top brands: Keystone, Forrest River and such. Thus a person only needs one A/C unit. Also their build quality is far superior to these other brands. I know since I own a 2013 Keystone Cougar High Country 321RES that will be traded for my new Blackstone 280RKSB. All bulbs throughout these fine trailers are LED's thus reducing the power requirements immensely!

Do a search of Outdoors RV or Blackstone. These trailers are advertised as the step back from the motor home for persons just like you trying to downsize. You will not be disappointed.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:49 AM   #7

One brand to consider might be Open Range .we have their 308bhs set up on a f150 with an equalizer hitch the truck has the ecoboost ,max tow and heavy pay load package it tows quite nicely.open range has many lines to choose from ...check out the lounge instead of booth style dinette as an option
We love ours..worth a look on their website
ko308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:19 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're going 33ft + in size I suggest a 5th wheel and a diesel. That decision will help you focus on the rig more. The truck you buy will be just as important as the trailer.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
My Forest River TT is 29' 9" long including the tongue. I was always a little apprehensive when towing with my F-150. It was adequate, but in my opinion, just adequate. I just got my new Ram 2500 diesel, and I'm hoping the next trip will prove it to have been a wise choice. We will be upgrading our TT within a couple of years due to the population explosion our family is experiencing... (6 grandchildren in 4 years!) We will definitely be getting a unit with double air conditioners, and a bunk house. We were in Arkansas for a week last summer and the single unit didn't quite keep up. From everything I read, I'll probably be at least looking at the Outdoors TT lines. These things all seem to use the same appliances, etc., so getting a quality shell, frame, windows, and axles seem to be the places to look for a quality product. There are no Outdoors RV dealers in my part of the country, so we may be taking a drive to pick it up if we go that way. I've heard good reports about Evergreen RVs as well... so we'll be looking at them also.

Best of luck in your search...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP reply update:

Thank you everyone. I will keep this post updated. While the class A is for sale its still with us so we are not in a hurry and will use the time to learn a lot.

Tow vehicle: Well we "hope" to use a Toyota Sequoia with the v8 & tow package. But its not the diesel that I'd prefer. Unfortunately I don't work for the Government so I'm not rich, just an ordinary retired guy. But the Sequoia is big and has good power. This is also why no 5er. Wish we could but will work within our limits.

I have heard of and looked at the Open Range and liked them. Noticed they are heavier than comparable units so that means build quality but also weight. I'll just be sure to match the TT to the tow vehicle. Even if we have to reduce length to have a proper setup.

PS: I always try to reply to the unanswered post, especially on the Class A's so I appreciate everyones input.

?? Does anyone go to Elkhart to look at and even buy TT? Or always from local dealers??

Tks
Old 07-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #11

Stay away from the wood frame tt's as the aluminum frame models are much lighter (and from what I've seen are the more high end models) may not always be the case.
Duel Ac units recommended (I just had my second one installed because I live in the south and I just in case I have problems with one it won't totally ruin the trip)
Cajunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With the Sequoia I would suggest you stay under 30 feet in total length.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:47 PM   #13
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IMHO...the size and type of TT is determined by your tow vehicle,the what type of camping or traveling your going to do. 4 season? Weekend camping?.
The budget? You don't want to be TT poor. If possible tour the manufacturing plants of the TT. I hate to say this, however ,you will most likely have problems with you TT. I like to buy from local dealer with a service centre for repairs and from a relatively local manufacturing. Our trailer was made in La Grande Oregon... About a 10 hour drive. It's a relatively small privately held manufacturing..not a subsidiary of a conglomerate company. Open Rqnge is owned by Jayco. Dutchmen/ Keystone by Thor. Forest River is owned by Warren Buffett, head of Berkshire Hathaway. Nothing wrong with that I like to help the little guy if I can..given all things are equal.
Just my 2 bits.
Coops
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote