RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 PM   #1

Quick electrical question.

I replaced two of my led puck lights. The first was over my recliner and I had to pull out the two wires from the hole in the ceiling after removing the old light. The wires were way up there but I got them out. One white wire and one black with wire nuts on them. The second was over the kitchen sink and when I pulled the wires from above the light with the wire nuts one was white and the other was yellow. I kept digging in the hole with my finger trying to find more wires but couldnít. The light works but Iím second guessing myself that I may have hooked it to the wrong wires. Neither light works from a wall switch they are both independent. Just turn on by touching the center. So is the yellow wire the right one?
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 04:22 PM   #2

What is wrong with hooking them up the way you found them? If they worked before the new ones will work also. Just hook them up the way the old ones were.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

The wire in question was pulled away and no longer connected. I had to dig my finger in the hole in the ceiling to find wires. I pulled out the white one thatís was still connected but the black one on the light was separated. The only other wires I found up there were yellow. I hooked the black wire from the lamp to the yellow and it works. I just wonder if If the black is up there somewhere in the recess or if they use yellow occasionally at the factory. I tried hard to find more wires but couldnít and I donít want to take apart the cabinet to see if itís there somewhere when in fact they used yellow instead.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:55 PM   #4

The LED lights will need 12V DC power, check with a multimeter and verify that you have 12v + and - available in the white and yellow wires. If they are both - then you will need a black + wire. You can check for continuity and see if they are both - (ground) wires. If the yellow is indeed a 12v + then it may be switched. A yellow 12v+ wire would be unusual in most applications. Do both of the wires have the correct connection for the light fixture, or just the white?
Old 02-21-2021, 07:03 AM   #5

I donít have a multi meter handy, but will get one. I hooked the light up to it and it works, and I shut off the 120 volt power and it works. So that tells me itís running off the battery. My guess is at the factory they used the wrong color as there are many TT not built exactly the same in the factory. I over think things all the time but my purchase of a multi meter will tell the ultimate story.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:10 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If the light or lights are running according to plan, that is they can be switched on and off as normal then no worries.

Electrons are color blind by nature and will travel down any color wire.

Rv builders like to try and mimic AC wiring in that the white is often the ground/negative/NEUTRAL wire for 110 volts. The hot wire can be just about any color (except) white....

Snow flakes of course so the meter is the truth teller.

I have lots of wires running around with 12 volts in my cabinets that are yellow.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 07:14 AM   #7

There is no wrong color that the factory may have used. There is no color code that they follow. The guy wiring one spot grabbed a yellow wire and the guy wiring the other spot grabbed a white wire. Don't overthink it. There are no wiring diagrams or schematics for building most rv's.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #8

Thanks. That’s where the wires in question are. Running in a space at the bottom of the cabinet. Which of course can’t be gotten to without damaging the cabinet. I’m not panicking anymore. I appreciate the time.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:17 PM   #9
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
Thanks. Thatís where the wires in question are. Running in a space at the bottom of the cabinet. Which of course canít be gotten to without damaging the cabinet. Iím not panicking anymore. I appreciate the time.

Very often you can go into the cabinet. The thin floors are like door skins and held in place by tiny U shaped staples. The trick is getting them out. I use a small screwdriver with a sharp corner. Once they are lifted a bit you can pull them out.

Removing them can be easier as you go by lifting the board up and using that pressure to help them come out, or put a screwdriver between the deck part and the little boards they staple to.

In any case, take the bottom of the cabinet inside out and you can have easy access. I have several cabinets where the board has not be fastened down again to provide easy access. In one case the bottom board was cut short and a corner notched because the darn thing needs a zipper for easy removal.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Very often you can go into the cabinet. The thin floors are like door skins and held in place by tiny U shaped staples. The trick is getting them out. I use a small screwdriver with a sharp corner. Once they are lifted a bit you can pull them out.

Removing them can be easier as you go by lifting the board up and using that pressure to help them come out, or put a screwdriver between the deck part and the little boards they staple to.

In any case, take the bottom of the cabinet inside out and you can have easy access. I have several cabinets where the board has not be fastened down again to provide easy access. In one case the bottom board was cut short and a corner notched because the darn thing needs a zipper for easy removal.
Thanks. I did see the staples and thought I maybe able to do that but feared how fragile the wood may be and Iíd damage it. Anyways I managed to fish the wires out with my finger but your tip will stay in my memory bank if the future dictates it.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:21 AM   #11
YC1

The wood is actually very tough. It is a thin plywood. One floor I had a hard time lifting out after removing the staples has a nice round hole to put my finger into as a pull. It is not seen unless you are really looking and floor was so tight it just would not lift easily.

The boards are often found in other cabinet spaces as well. It is amazing some of the storage we have found. Under our sink is room for 5 rolls of paper towells. That space was made by making one of the "intake" vent areas removable with cabinet latches.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:56 PM   #12

Most RV's have siamese wire for 12v. One white wire and one colored wire. They usually use several different colors. Look at your 12v fuse panel and see what colors are connected to the terminals next to the fuses.

If you found an un-terminated wire you probably found the one that the black pulled loose from.

As you saw, the black and white wires are simply pigtails on the fixtures, the wire runs are other colors.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 07:14 AM   #13

Iím learning new things all the time. The first light I replaced had a black and white wire. The second had the white and yellow I mentioned. My mind was thinking about wires in a home and it concerned me that I might start a fire. Like the previous poster said I overthink things. Thatís a very true statement about me. Over caution which isnít a bad trait. I suffer from analysis paralysis sometimes. Knowing yourself is a good thing.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
I replaced two of my led puck lights. The first was over my recliner and I had to pull out the two wires from the hole in the ceiling after removing the old light. The wires were way up there but I got them out. One white wire and one black with wire nuts on them. The second was over the kitchen sink and when I pulled the wires from above the light with the wire nuts one was white and the other was yellow. I kept digging in the hole with my finger trying to find more wires but couldnít. The light works but Iím second guessing myself that I may have hooked it to the wrong wires. Neither light works from a wall switch they are both independent. Just turn on by touching the center. So is the yellow wire the right one?
If you're not good with a volt meter. You should at the least carry a 12 volt test light and learn how to use it. Very simple.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical