Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2021, 03:12 PM   #1

Quiet air conditioning possible?

Hi, I have a 20.4 Coachman TT with a non-ducted roof-top air conditioner located over our dining table.

It is to loud and to drafty to use while we eat.

I was thinking of adding a 12,000 Btu/Hr mini-split across from our stove, mid-way to the sleeping and dining area. We would run this at night since the existing unit doesn't really cool he sleeping area - we would also run it once the rig is cooled down since our existing 16,000 Btu runs only about 60% of the time.

Has anyone done this?

Where did you locate the condenser?

Is it as quiet as it advertises?

thank you
stuartbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #2

I am tempted to do this for the RV, did it at our sticks and bricks for the master bedroom.

If the bedroom door is going to be open then you should be good else you may need to put some sort of power air movement process to move air through the bedroom into the common area.

If its an open plan you should be good. The interior unit can be where ever on a wall such that the pipes can be run to the outside. The best place for the outside unit would be either on the front triangle if bedroom in the back or the back bumper if bedroom is in the front! I plan on doing this for our rig sometime. My guess is that if you buy a good size split cool you wont use the roof top unit at all, given that its so inefficient and very noisy. The difference in cost for upsizing the inverter based split cools is not that much, you could sell your roof unit to more than make the difference up!

If you have space for the chocolate bar inside unit those are ubiquitous in the market space.

If you don't want to lose an overhead cabinet here is a wall or ceiling mount flexibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Conso...0944689&sr=8-1
Old 05-14-2021, 05:27 AM   #3

This has been done. However, I highly suggest a 120v system, not a 240v system. You'll have a hard time finding 240v at campgrounds. Also the typical generator used for camping does not have 240v.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8QYCG4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:35 AM   #4

There are at least three threads here on IRV2.com where RvR’s have done it. Some look cosmetically better than others. Also at least a couple of YouTube videos of others who have done it.

Mini-splits are so quiet I installed one in a radio station studio I once owned and no one could hear it run when listening to my radio station.

It is definitely the way to go for quiet, more efficient air conditioning. I agree you want to use a 120 volt unit.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbell View Post
Hi, I have a 20.4 Coachman TT with a non-ducted roof-top air conditioner located over our dining table.

It is to loud and to drafty to use while we eat.

I was thinking of adding a 12,000 Btu/Hr mini-split across from our stove, mid-way to the sleeping and dining area. We would run this at night since the existing unit doesn't really cool he sleeping area - we would also run it once the rig is cooled down since our existing 16,000 Btu runs only about 60% of the time.

Has anyone done this?

Where did you locate the condenser?

Is it as quiet as it advertises?

thank you
Not directly on subject, but my new TT has a black unit on top with the word evolution on it. It is smaller square than my old ones and QUIETER. I noticed that right away from the outside... I checked into it and it is the new version of the Dometic brisk air 13,500 unit. So far so good. Apparently it is relatively new... I'm actually surprised it is on the new Aspen Trail. I've seen others same model same year with the older white units on them.

"cooler, stronger, quieter and lighter!
The Brisk II puts it all together for an all-new, best-in-class RV air conditioner, starting with 15% increased air flow and improved cooling capacity. The unit also has a smaller carbon footprint, tighter specification allowances, and improved materials create energy efficiencies that reduces operating costs and environmental footprint while improving fit and finish - we call it smart design! The all-new Brisk II Evolution improves upon the Brisk II platform to reduce noise, increase airflow and improve performance. A custom designed blower wheel and redesigned evaporator coil provide better airflow and cooling. This reliable platform uses EPP foam to make the air conditioner lighter, better insulated and aerodynamic, while adding structural integrity and reducing noise and vibration. This unit is not only the smallest RV rooftop air conditioner available but also has a small carbon footprint, tighter specification allowances and improved materials that create energy efficiencies and reduce its environmental impact."

So, IF this as good as they say, another way to approach the noise problem.
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #6

If you want a quiet AC buy a Atwood AirCommand
Old 05-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #7

I have installed mini-splits in several TTs. I always use a 115v model. The only problems we run into is where to locate the indoor unit, sometimes we have to eliminate a cabinet.

The outdoor units are almost always placed on the rear bumper if the TT is going to be moved. If the TT is going to be static then we place the outdoor close to all of the utilities.

I have installed both 9000btu and 12,000btu models.

Another benefit is heat without burning propane!
Old 05-16-2021, 07:16 AM   #8

Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loumarch View Post
I have installed mini-splits in several TTs. I always use a 115v model. The only problems we run into is where to locate the indoor unit, sometimes we have to eliminate a cabinet.

The outdoor units are almost always placed on the rear bumper if the TT is going to be moved. If the TT is going to be static then we place the outdoor close to all of the utilities.

I have installed both 9000btu and 12,000btu models.

Another benefit is heat without burning propane!
May I come to Bryn Mawr and have one installed? Stu@shearwater-sailing.com
Old 05-16-2021, 10:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback View Post
If you want a quiet AC buy a Atwood AirCommand

Atwood taken over by Dometic. Louder than Brisk???
Old 05-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #10

Have you tried this ?

https://wackoproducts.com/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9598.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	328474
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #11

it's all in the insulation and how it's installed. I have 2 lo pro dometic penguins and there very very quiet in my rig
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartbell View Post
Atwood taken over by Dometic. Louder than Brisk???
We bought ours after the takeover and it was still made in Australia. I would of returned it if it was China.

Not sure how quiet a Brisk is as I can no find it published but the AirCommand is 65db on High.
1320Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:53 AM   #13

Quote:
We bought ours after the takeover and it was still made in Australia. I would of returned it if it was China.

Not sure how quiet a Brisk is as I can no find it published but the AirCommand is 65db on High.
The new Evolution as I noted is a Brisk nex gen apparently. I noticed its size but particularly the lack of noise on my new TT. I noticed how quiet it was first outside like dramatically, but also inside when going through the ducts vs direct flow. It's still there, but it noticably quieter. I can't find much on it as it appears to be quite new...
Redfour5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:38 AM   #14

Quote:

Read something about an Australian company that launched a rocket last weekend and it blew up, lost its payload, a second in a row or some such.

Tags
air, air conditioning, quiet