Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Real World Numbers

Got back a while ago from our first real trip with our Trailer. Just wanted to share some real world numbers with people looking at trailers....

Trailer 2017 Jayco 28BHBE. Yellow sticker weight 6,716 (batteries and propane tanks included) Our weight 7,940. That was a little over 1,200 pounds of "stuff". Funny how it adds up for those who think they are packing "light"... This was just my wife and me, empty tanks, cooking stuff, outside BBQ, small portable heater and fan, tools, bedding, clothing, bicycles (and rack), food, soft drinks (several cases) and Alcohol. Okay maybe lots of Alcohol, after all we were going to Utah.

Truck weight (2017 Ram 2500 CTD CC LB )with two people, full tanks, trailer spare tire and "personal stuff" was 8,580 leaving just a little over 1,400 pounds for hitch weight.

Loaded weights with trailer spare tire in truck bed. Front axle 5,020 (empty was 5,060), Drive Axle 4,340 (empty was 3,320) and trailer axles 7,160. Sorry no actual tongue weight since we didn't get a weighing with the WDH off. Gives me a Truck weight of 9,360 (max 10,000). Leaves Plenty of room for our Kayaks next trip NOTE empty truck axle weights are off 200#. I was standing outside when I weighed the truck on not in it. But I weigh 200# so I added that to the total truck weight.

Seems my true tongue weight is a little low. BUT I moved the spare back to the TT a ways in front of the axles so I expect that weight to increase. Also purchased a new Tongue weight scale to check it out. Weights were on Oregon Weigh stations that were closed (so weight displayed, but nobody home). WDH was a Equalizer 1200. Trailer was level or just a tad high in the nose (lowering it would make it 2" lower. Handling was great. No sway at all when Big rigs pass.

The trip was from NW Oregon down to Zion UT and then back to Carbondale CO before heading home. Quite a few hills including a long 6 mile 6% downhill. The truck with it's engine braking and Tow mode made downhills a breeze. Never even used the brakes.

Real world mileage. Traveling between 62 and 65 mph with cruise control (except pulling grades) was 2,922 miles @ 11.44 mpg towing. With another 546 miles @ 19.5 mpg sight seeing without the trailer.
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #2

That's wild. I have weighed ours packed full and we never had 1,200 lbs worth of stuff, even with a little bit of water in our fresh tank. I was surprised at how light ours was packed down for a trip.

I also weighed it empty and it was within 20 lbs of the sticker weight, which I thought was impressive.

That's good mpg for a 3/4 ton pickup. Running a Ram Ecodiesel, we got 11.1 mpg on the way from Dallas to Colorado and 13.8 mpg on the way back (tail wind, down hill).
Old 06-13-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

There's just the two of us and we travel light. I've weighed what we carry on board and its usually around 450 lbs. for the two of us. The truck carries the generator, a few tools, and two gravity chairs.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
That's wild. I have weighed ours packed full and we never had 1,200 lbs worth of stuff, even with a little bit of water in our fresh tank. I was surprised at how light ours was packed down for a trip.

I also weighed it empty and it was within 20 lbs of the sticker weight, which I thought was impressive.

That's good mpg for a 3/4 ton pickup. Running a Ram Ecodiesel, we got 11.1 mpg on the way from Dallas to Colorado and 13.8 mpg on the way back (tail wind, down hill).
Well I am also assuming the yellow sticker is correct. Also beefed up the front bed (a few pounds), added the Jayco rear receiver (a few more pounds), and a bicycle rack. Not to mention 2 bicycles. Maybe we need to take less alcohol.. Nah....
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:05 AM   #5

I’ve got a ‘13 Jayco 28BHBE, and in the same ballpark for weights. Yellow sticker is 7050. In the scales it came in at 8300. We have a lot of stuff in it but did not expect it to be 1200 pounds.
DanFromGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #6

My rig is close to yours. 2006 three quarter ton Dodge diesel. My MPG is about 14 mpg measured at same speeds and up and down some hills. Wish I had the engine brake, but I'm not envious of your emissions controls. My truck is pretty immune to weight as I've pulled fifth wheels and two different TT's and several heavy boats. MPG stays between 12 and 14 gallons as 60 to 65. Mystery to me why.
Hames57 is offline   Reply With Quote