Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #1

Rear bumper rating for 2012 Coleman 15bh

I recently purchased a 3,000 watt generator to mount on the rear bumper of above model however, I should have done further research since after receiving I ran across an article about rear bumper problems. I believe I should install 'Mount-n-Lock safety struts. The cargo carrier weights about 40 to 50 lbs and the generator is 100 lbs there is a spare tire, as well.

I have been unable to find the rating on the bumper? And wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I am new to this and was hoping for some help on this issue.

Thank you,
Rick
rmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I would get a Stromberg Carlson Cargo rack that fits over the propane tanks on the front. The rear bumper is very weak and all that weight bouncing around is pretty iffy even with the Safety Struts. I used them and put a bike rack back there but it was much lighter. The Genny on the back bumper out of sight also makes it easier pickings for the dishonest.

Since you are new here and a new RV'er I want to mention that I hope it is a nice quiet inverter style generator. A contractor generator is very loud and annoying to other campers and its use is frowned upon unless you are boon docking with no neighbors.

Welcome to the forum !
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 12:44 PM   #3

Thank you, that is what I am finding out so I did buy what you recommend but I am smaller size older retired fella and the 100 lbs up and over my head is a bit much. It is a new Champion inverter generator for the reason you mention. I may try and sell it and buy 2 a size smaller inverter type and parallel them ... lesson learned. Very interested in boondocking on BLM and NF property. Again thank you for the advise.
rmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #4

I had the same concern so I had a welder weld on a thicker bumper. It’s still 4 inch square On the outside but a thicker guage so the inside is smaller and there for I could no longer House the sewer pipes in there. I bought a round pvc tube and mounted it underneath.
bigred6695 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coleman