Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #1

Rear Kitchen

The wife and I have been looking at different floor plans for quite some time and have come to the conclusion that the rear kitchen layout solves our space and living area concerns better than other options. I have heard the stories about the disadvantages of rear kitchen flooorplan being more prone to shake all the contents of the cabinets and refrigerator.

I would like to hear the pros and cons of you folks who have the rear kitchen floorplans in a fiver.
fonz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #2

Rear kitchen- - kiss the gorgeous scenery of sitting on a bayfront in Alaska looking out across at the whales and glaciers while you sit in your lounge with your coffee looking out that big rear picture window. Normally the best scenery is out your back window. Had both, sure take the rear lounge any day. I didn't particularly appreciate what the bouncing did to the cabinet contents either.
Bob
Old 05-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #3

our previous 5er had the rear kitchen, the Living room had huge up/down windows that allowed an enormous amount of viewing space, ie if your parked next to a river... beachfront... the down side was the fact that things did have a tendency to leave the cabinets and find there way every where... like the hot chocolate that mixed with the cans of soda that broke open, when our dishes took a dive...... WHAT A MESS..... Now I have the Montana with the Upper Living Room, love it for the view, we spend alot of our time either at a lake, or at the beach, this gives us a comanding view of the area around. Very much like this one... 2004*Keystone*Montana 3655FL /3 Slides also Truck*listed on RVOnline.com

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 02:42 PM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Our first 5th wheel had a rear kitchen. We learned our lesson! What a mess after every trip that involved any rough roads. Never again!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club

I've had 2 rear kitchen floorplans. my current coach has over 8K miles and has a rear kitchen. I have never, ever, had a problem with breakage, spillage or any other issue. Not one thing.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:21 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Our first fifthwheel had a rear kitchen. Hated it! The pantry shelves holding the canned goods broke several times before I rebuilt them out of much heavier material. Also, everything moved and became jumbled up. We could not leave anything sitting on the counters as it would be in the floor in short order. The last two rigs have had center kitchens and nothing moves. We love the rear bay windows and the great views they give us in many places we have been. BUT.....buy what YOU like!!!!!!
Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #7

We have the rear kitchen and also have the problems mentioned above. Have never had cabinet doors open , but dishes get jumbled around, the silverware makes it way from the top drawer to under the bottom, several shelves in the pantry have broken. The next one will have a center kitches.
Larry
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
We've had rear kitchens on all of our fifth wheels and have had very little problems. The suspension you have on both the fifth wheel and the truck (which would include items like the hitches with air bags) makes a BIG difference in how items in a rear kitchen ride.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #9

We really like our rear kitchen 5'er. It has a large rear window that provides a great view. The only time we've ever had a problem with things rattling around is if I happen to miss noticing a 'speed bump' and hit it going a bit too fast. Other than that, we've never had a problem with things rattling around inside. No cupboard doors have ever opened that's for sure.
rick_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

I guess it depends on how well the unit is built and how well the suspension works. We have a rear kitchen in a 26' Sportsmen towed by a F250 and have not had any problems with anything out of order in the kitchen. We do not leave anything out on the counter top while traveling and have made several 600 mile trips without anything upset or broken.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #11

DW likes the layout of the rear kitchen. Yes we've had a couple of mishaps, but had similar problems with side and front kitchen units. The problems occur when the driver fails to note those big rough spots. We really enjoy having full cross ventilation and the separate living/dining-cooking areas.
JJnLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:39 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
We like the rear kitchen. Yes things do get bounced around on rough or the dipsey does on the road. But we bought a few of those spring loaded stick things and with some creative loading it is not normally a problem. As far as the view, we can see out the huge back window just fine. It is espcially great at the dining room table with coffee in the morning. But it eliminates people marching thru the kitchen when you are trying to prepare dinner. And it also seems the livingroom area it larger. We looked at a lot of 5ers but when we went in this one and sat down it was like Yeah this is the one. You'll figure it out.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post

I've had 2 rear kitchen floorplans. my current coach has over 8K miles and has a rear kitchen. I have never, ever, had a problem with breakage, spillage or any other issue. Not one thing.
Ditto on no problems, We love ours!
Wingnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
JAH

We've had two, both rear living rooms, and we really like the view, especially if you are backed in overlooking a lake. We had a disaster in our first fifth wheel, everything flew around when travelling. We had Mor-ryde IS installed and it rode like a dream, we even left things out on the counters etc. I guess I second a previous sentiment, it is the suspension much more than the kitchen location which makes for a smooth ride.
JAH is offline   Reply With Quote