Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #1

Rear View Safety Wireless Camera System

I just got done installing the Rear View Safety Digital Wireless Quad Camera System and felt I should share my first impressions. I purchased the system at bhphoto.com as their price at the time was $300 which was $50 cheaper than elsewhere. Rear View Safety Digital Wireless Quad Camera System RVS-CW-CAM

With the link, I'll leave it to you to look at the specs. But what I purchased is the system with one camera, one mount that can mount to windshield or elsewhere and a 7" color monitor. You can add up to 3 other cameras with this system.

I installed it yesterday morning, so I've only used it to tow my trailer a short distance. I'll write an update later when I've actually used it on a trip, which will be later in May. First impression is that it works quite well. Reception is quite good. It would occassionally flicker (go black) for just a brief second, but that may be due to the fact that I accidently broke the antenna at the base. I removed the antenna, and reception was fine...so I think any problem was from the antenna. I called went online and chatted with Rear View Safety and they are sending me a replacement antenna. And to their credit, in spite of it being my fault, they aren't charging me for the replacement. So, great customer service so far.

The camera is in a metal housing and seems to be very solid. The monitor is made of plastic, but adequate for the job. I think I'll find a padded case to keep it in when not in use, and store it where it won't get bumped around.

I purchased this system because of the easy installation, and the camera simply plugs into the 12 volt outlet (cigarette lighter). And, installation was easy. I removed the center running light at the top rear of my trailer to access the wiring. I mounted the camera bracket about 10" below the light. About three inches above the bracket, I drilled a hole for running the wiring up to the running light wiring. For this, I had to get a 20 mm drill bit which required using a 1/2" drill. I attached the camera to the bracket. Once the wiring was completed, I made a preliminary test of the system. Once the monitor was plugged in, I turned it on and with a couple of button pushes, I had a full back-up view! After that, I just used the supplied rubber grommet to seal the hole around the wiring and applied some sealant where desired (around grommet, screw heads on mounting bracket, and around light housing). With the system wired into the running light, the camera works anytime the running lights are on and I don't have a problem running down the road with lights on.

I haven't figured out exactly how I want to mount/use the monitor bracket. I'll probably figure out the best setup for using the suction cup against the windshield and see how I like it for a long ride. The other alternative is to find a way to have it permanently mounted. In use, the monitor is fairly sharp. I haven't used it in the dark to test the effectiveness of the LED lights integrated with the camera. Again...I'll give a more thorough performance update after I've been on the road.

Bottom line is that I'm quite pleased with the system. I'll try to answer any questions. And, any suggestions re mounting the monitor would be appreciated.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #2

Do you want to permanently install the monitor? Seems like something to draw unwanted attention from a theif, especially if you don't use it all the time.
I would keep it stashed and just have it handy to pull out when needed.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

I also purchased the Rear View Safety Camera and used it on two trips so far. I don't like when it goes blank, especially when I was traveling in NYC. I was very frustrated with the microphone because traveling down the road it makes nothing but white noise, so I just turned the sound all the way down. Don't get me wrong, I really like being able to see whats behind me. I covers up to three lanes which was really nice to see so much, made driving down the road less stressful.
Time2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #4

I did end up getting a different antenna for the camera and mounted it on the driver's side of the trailer. That reduced the number of black outs. Likewise, I keep the volume turned down. Overall, I'm still pleased with the system as it has really been very helpful. But, I can relate to those that prefer a wired system. I just didn't want to get into the challenges of wiring a system for a travel trailer.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

Wired version

I went with the "wired" Rear View Safety Camera system. I purchased off eBay for around $350 with a single camera and a coiled connector cable that I just lashed to the pin connection to my TT. Mine has the ability for 3 camera inputs. I am thinking about a second one for a second area of the rear of the TT. Used it once already with a 7" monitor I can basically put anywhere inside the front section of my Ram. Best $350 I've spent so far when hooked up and heading down the road. Highly recommended.
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:09 PM   #6

I was going to write up a full review but never got around to it.

I had originally purchased the quad wireless system with two cameras. With one connected it worked perfectly. With two, one would always be so weak I wouldn't get a signal and the other worked great.

I call Rear View Safety and because I didn't plan on using all four cameras, they recommended I go with their newer 2 cam wireless system. They exchanged it out at no cost and RMA'd the old system.

I have a 37' trailer and a Ram 3500 dually (to give an idea of length). Both cameras are installed beside each other and it works flawlessly. Much less delay than the quad system and it hasn't lost connection and went to black once, as the quad system did when driving with one camera.

Overall, very happy with the system performance and the support from Rear View Safety.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would like to have a more portable system that I can see the truck when parked with the monitor inside the TT.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I would like to have a more portable system that I can see the truck when parked with the monitor inside the TT.

You would be able to take the monitor inside the RV with you. They have models where the monitor can be hard wired or, like mine, uses the cigarette plug. Your cameras would need to be wired to a constant 12V source (or install a switch, of course) instead of the running lights.
04266832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

I have my wired system configured to the truck ignition switch to have power when my truck is on. I have the camera lead (which has a plug on it to remove the monitor for storage) come up thru my center console and the mom into fits in my console almost perfectly. When I am out of the rig I can just put the monitor in my console or I can unplug it and store it separately if required.
BTCMUSN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera, safety