Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #1

Recommendation on brand

Hi there, we are in search of a new or slightly used travel trailer. We're looking between 21 to 24' with one slide-out or with a big open window. Any brands you recommend or to stay away from? Have had a thor before and liked it.
Appreciate any info you can give.
Thanks for your help.
GandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #2

forget it. Go somewhere, where they have all kind of brands and look at those within your budget. The answers you get will always be- hey I have a xyz and it's awesome- you need one too.
The brands are doing all the same, under the covers there are all the same parts, just in a different way installed and they work all good. at the end is- what do you like.
Regardless- you get, what you pay for- either it's a lot of equipment, but cheap (do you expect a fully loaded vehicle for a price of a base model?) or it's just basic and therefore little higher quality. the truth is somewhere in the middle in combination, what you're looking for. You pay for it and you've got to be happy- not some guy in some forum.
Good luck searching.
Oh- and if you plan a trip to camping world- that's ok, as long as you look around- nothing wrong with that- they got a huge selection and all kind of floorplans. it gives you an idea what to look for- but if you plan on buying there, read the reviews- you will either say - no thank you- or like me and million others- what could possibly go wrong, and then you see, what can go wrong. your choice.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:34 AM   #3

That's a tough question and hopefully doesn't turn your thread into a huge debate..

I would just look at what's available in your price range and then search that specific year and people whom may own it and ask how they like it. For example, say you have a chance to buy a 2010 Jayco for $8,000, go to the Jayco forums or this forum ask about that specific year/model.

If you're buying used check the going rate on that year/size, a lot of people are in debt on their TT and want you to pay what they owe which is foolish.

Also, take opinions with a grain of salt, I might have a TT that has been great and we love it, yet somebody else may have the same one and they hate it declare it junk.

Don't be in a hurry, take your time.
cpt_majestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #4

Find a floor plan you like and then compare different manufacturers. They all sell pretty similar layouts. Check dealer reviews. Some say not to buy from CW but I've heard very good reviews for one in NC and SC. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Have read that RVs sell anywhere from 20 - 40% of MSRP. But is the most realistic percentage off?
Thanks
Old 08-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandT View Post
Have read that RVs sell anywhere from 20 - 40% of MSRP. But is the most realistic percentage off?
Thanks
25% off is average. 30% off is a good price. 35% off is a great price. Anything more than that is probably something like a closeout 2016 model that's still on the lot or something.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbos1958 View Post
Find a floor plan you like and then compare different manufacturers. They all sell pretty similar layouts. Check dealer reviews. Some say not to buy from CW but I've heard very good reviews for one in NC and SC. Good luck, let us know what you decide.
nooooope- I am so burned from CW in Spartanburg and also from NC in Fletcher- They could not sell me anything anymore- not even as giveaway.
The problem with CW is, when they take over a dealer, it works fine, until they start changing the staff and making everybody working after CW guidelines- this is, when it goes down the drain. Read the reviews. same complaints all over the US, regardless, where you go.
I once also thought: hey- people just complaining, when something's wrong- and they have a lot of customers- I was in customer service long time and so I know how to take it. my mistake. I learned the hard way, that CW is one of the businesses, where you really can believe the reviews- everything all others was complaining about, happened to me 1:1. As long as they haven't had my money yet, everything was great- nice, friendly and it seemed like they are really interested in having you as a customer (what a wrong thinking- they just was interested for you to push the money over the table). After that- promises was not kept, what cost me right at pick up date 500 unexpected $$$, the parts guy laughed at me, as I said, the salesguy promised me the WDH as invoice, because I paid cash. then they haven't had the hitch there, because the parts guy sold it 3 days before pick up to someone else, the only hitch he had was one number bigger (and more expensive of course) and as I declined to pay $150.00 for assembly, he left the hitch laying on the counter and walked off. I had to put it in the buggy and pay for it. As I assembled it, I found- no hitch ball- back in and they charged me another $35.00 for the ball. And the whole process took 2 1/2 hours!!!!!! because the parts guy was not able to stay with me, until I had the part all the time- he ran off and I was standing there like an idiot. The walk through was by a guy looking like someone who lived somewhere in the mountain for 50 years and just came back this morning. he had no idea what he was talking about, did not know nothing about our camper (nothing about any camper) and every second thing he said: y'all figure it out. They filled the fresh water tank up to the rim, even though I told them not to, and refused to let it back out. I crawled under it and opened the valve and the shop foreman came and cursed me out, because all the water was running over the pavement. As I finally was able to leave, my wife, my dogs and I (we planned ~2 hours and was there for 5 hours!) was down with the nerves.
Then directly to the camp ground 5 miles away for the first night. TV not working. I called and called- nobody was picking up the phone on service department. on our way home I found them closed- so I drove home. On our first trip, I found the wire bracket under the slide broken, before I even let the slide out and the wire was blank from laying on the tires while driving. I called and called and called during our 4 day trip to pigeon forge (with window open and TV cable routed through the window directly to the TV) and nobody ever picked up the phone. on our way home, I stopped and I was ignored for 30 minutes- everybody who came by told me- not responsible- wait on soandso. then the guy came up and asked me : do you have an appointment? I was so mad- and answered- if you would had picked up your phone the last 4 days, or listened to your 500 voice mails, I left for you, you would know, why I'm here. well- and it went on and on for almost 3 months, my camper sitting on their lot- untouched and if you ever get someone on the phone, they lie to you- manufacturer don't answer, warranty declined, parts backordered...- but we knew better, because we was in contact with Forest River Customer Service. after almost 3 months (after 3 month they was not even able to make a warranty claim to FR)- I went there, found my brand new camper full with mud and bird poop in the last corner of the lot- with app. 25 others untouched new looking campers with tag (the technician, who told me, where my camper is, called the lot the warranty graveyard). I had enough and picked it up. arranged with FR an appointment with another local dealer and my camper was very good repaired after 1 week- everything was done and they even found 2 more things, we didn't even noticed yet.
now- just google reviews and find out, how many people saying the same- independently from cw shops all over the us and decide, if you want to risk it.
Good luck. and if you still think, you got to buy from them- go ahead- I'm glad to read your complaint report here in the forum. and my answer will be: I told you so...

I forgot CW in Spartanburg. the salesguy was very nice- until we told him our budget. I did not know, that you're considered to be a poor sucker, when you are around $25000. he lost all interest and ran away. we got a hold of another one- done us the same way. We just left.
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #8

This is too easy, coming from a Winnebago motor home, why not go with what you know?

Minnie travel trailer, top of their class in quality, fit, finish. Based off the old Sunnybrook line of trailers.

Example:
2017 Winnebago MINNIE 2201DS for sale and rent Family RV California 402310

Or just get a closeout price on a new one:
http://www.bestrv.com/detail.cfm?ID=...WO ENTRY DOORS
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandT View Post
Hi there, we are in search of a new or slightly used travel trailer. We're looking between 21 to 24' with one slide-out or with a big open window. Any brands you recommend or to stay away from? Have had a thor before and liked it.
Appreciate any info you can give.
Thanks for your help.
Here is the BEST PIECE OF ADVICE I CAN GIVE YOU! Buy this book and it will do you right. NO, all TT's or MH's are not basically the same. This book has been right on for me and I won't make another purchase before doing my homework here. Believe me, the cost of the book will be greatly overshadowed by the quality and accuracy of the contents...order it!!!

Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide Hardcover – Unabridged, 2017
by Randall Eaton (Author)
/* * Fix for UDP-1061. Average customer reviews has a small extra line on hover * https://omni-grok.amazon.com/xref/sr...teTemplates#40 */ .noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; } 4.3 out of 5 stars33 customer reviews

Check it out...I bought both the Motorhome & the Travel Trailer Edition...they were both great!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot07 View Post
25% off is average. 30% off is a good price. 35% off is a great price. Anything more than that is probably something like a closeout 2016 model that's still on the lot or something.
This book will also go into great detail about the above...

Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide Hardcover – Unabridged, 2017
by Randall Eaton (Author)
/* * Fix for UDP-1061. Average customer reviews has a small extra line on hover * https://omni-grok.amazon.com/xref/sr...teTemplates#40 */ .noUnderline a:hover { text-decoration: none; } 4.3 out of 5 stars33 customer reviews

Let me know what you learn from it... It helped me save several thousand $$$ on my last purchase and end up with a better quality product at a better price.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #11

Floorplan is not the first thing to look for and my experience and several of my friends experiences were not good at CW. They, along with many many other dealers are your best friends UNTIL all the paperwork is signed, money has been exchanged, and the rear wheels of your purchase have hit the street from the dealers lot.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy65 View Post
nooooope- I am so burned from CW in Spartanburg and also from NC in Fletcher- They could not sell me anything anymore- not even as giveaway.
The problem with CW is, when they take over a dealer, it works fine, until they start changing the staff and making everybody working after CW guidelines- this is, when it goes down the drain. Read the reviews. same complaints all over the US, regardless, where you go.
I once also thought: hey- people just complaining, when something's wrong- and they have a lot of customers- I was in customer service long time and so I know how to take it. my mistake. I learned the hard way, that CW is one of the businesses, where you really can believe the reviews- everything all others was complaining about, happened to me 1:1. As long as they haven't had my money yet, everything was great- nice, friendly and it seemed like they are really interested in having you as a customer (what a wrong thinking- they just was interested for you to push the money over the table). After that- promises was not kept, what cost me right at pick up date 500 unexpected $$$, the parts guy laughed at me, as I said, the salesguy promised me the WDH as invoice, because I paid cash. then they haven't had the hitch there, because the parts guy sold it 3 days before pick up to someone else, the only hitch he had was one number bigger (and more expensive of course) and as I declined to pay $150.00 for assembly, he left the hitch laying on the counter and walked off. I had to put it in the buggy and pay for it. As I assembled it, I found- no hitch ball- back in and they charged me another $35.00 for the ball. And the whole process took 2 1/2 hours!!!!!! because the parts guy was not able to stay with me, until I had the part all the time- he ran off and I was standing there like an idiot. The walk through was by a guy looking like someone who lived somewhere in the mountain for 50 years and just came back this morning. he had no idea what he was talking about, did not know nothing about our camper (nothing about any camper) and every second thing he said: y'all figure it out. They filled the fresh water tank up to the rim, even though I told them not to, and refused to let it back out. I crawled under it and opened the valve and the shop foreman came and cursed me out, because all the water was running over the pavement. As I finally was able to leave, my wife, my dogs and I (we planned ~2 hours and was there for 5 hours!) was down with the nerves.
Then directly to the camp ground 5 miles away for the first night. TV not working. I called and called- nobody was picking up the phone on service department. on our way home I found them closed- so I drove home. On our first trip, I found the wire bracket under the slide broken, before I even let the slide out and the wire was blank from laying on the tires while driving. I called and called and called during our 4 day trip to pigeon forge (with window open and TV cable routed through the window directly to the TV) and nobody ever picked up the phone. on our way home, I stopped and I was ignored for 30 minutes- everybody who came by told me- not responsible- wait on soandso. then the guy came up and asked me : do you have an appointment? I was so mad- and answered- if you would had picked up your phone the last 4 days, or listened to your 500 voice mails, I left for you, you would know, why I'm here. well- and it went on and on for almost 3 months, my camper sitting on their lot- untouched and if you ever get someone on the phone, they lie to you- manufacturer don't answer, warranty declined, parts backordered...- but we knew better, because we was in contact with Forest River Customer Service. after almost 3 months (after 3 month they was not even able to make a warranty claim to FR)- I went there, found my brand new camper full with mud and bird poop in the last corner of the lot- with app. 25 others untouched new looking campers with tag (the technician, who told me, where my camper is, called the lot the warranty graveyard). I had enough and picked it up. arranged with FR an appointment with another local dealer and my camper was very good repaired after 1 week- everything was done and they even found 2 more things, we didn't even noticed yet.
now- just google reviews and find out, how many people saying the same- independently from cw shops all over the us and decide, if you want to risk it.
Good luck. and if you still think, you got to buy from them- go ahead- I'm glad to read your complaint report here in the forum. and my answer will be: I told you so...

I forgot CW in Spartanburg. the salesguy was very nice- until we told him our budget. I did not know, that you're considered to be a poor sucker, when you are around $25000. he lost all interest and ran away. we got a hold of another one- done us the same way. We just left.

Ok, I've been corrected IRT CW.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM   #13

Thanks we bought the motorhome one and liked it.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #14

We've been happy with the Winnebago Minnie TT we bought almost 2 years ago. They seem to be a step above the "starter" trailers.