Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go get a new fire extinguisher.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAndBone View Post
Looks to be in really good condition. Good find.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:53 AM   #31

If you plan on living in it, and not towing it anywhere right away, the tires and bearings can wait. If towing it at all, this would be the first thing on the list. Good advice on the fire extinguisher. As stated, go over the roof with a fine tooth comb. If any of the caulking looks old, replace it with the proper caulking. This is not silicone, and must be bought at an rv place. Its worth the extra money to buy the right caulking. A camper that age that has leaked is almost worth nothing, and living in mould is not advisable. Have the propane checked for leaks. Hopefully you got all the manuals with it. Read all of them to understand how everything works. You are already on the forum here, so you are one step ahead on learning anything you dont know. Good luck on your new trailer.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:32 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
First thing I would do is inspect the roof for even the tiniest caulked seam that needs attention. Get down on your hands and knees and cover every inch. Look at the top seam caulking of all the windows.

How old are the tires?

I think the only other thing, do you know how long ago the wheel bearings were last greased?
Sorry for such a late reply. Right now, I have no real information on the trailer from the owner, as I bought it from someone that was not the owner. And after taking it apart, I found a lot more problems "under the hood." Lots of water damage, some old decent patch jobs and newer crappy patch jobs. I can't afford/don't have time to do a complete rebuild. So I'm going to be fixing what I can and patching what I don't have time to completely fix. I will have to make this work to my best ability. Taking apart some walls, the ceiling, some floor and redoing the bathroom. That's a tall order since I have one more month and not much money to do it with. But I my goal is to just making it livable. I'll post up my current progress.
AshAndBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
First thing I would do is inspect the roof for even the tiniest caulked seam that needs attention. Get down on your hands and knees and cover every inch. Look at the top seam caulking of all the windows.

How old are the tires?

I think the only other thing, do you know how long ago the wheel bearings were last greased?
In reference to your questions, the tires have good tread, but are starting to crack due to sun exposure. I will have the wheels changed and bearings regreased. I'm working on fixing the interior before I drop more money for someone to go under and do all that. I'm working on a small budget, so its bits at a time when I can get them in level of livability priority.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:01 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
If you plan on living in it, and not towing it anywhere right away, the tires and bearings can wait. If towing it at all, this would be the first thing on the list. Good advice on the fire extinguisher. As stated, go over the roof with a fine tooth comb. If any of the caulking looks old, replace it with the proper caulking. This is not silicone, and must be bought at an rv place. Its worth the extra money to buy the right caulking. A camper that age that has leaked is almost worth nothing, and living in mould is not advisable. Have the propane checked for leaks. Hopefully you got all the manuals with it. Read all of them to understand how everything works. You are already on the forum here, so you are one step ahead on learning anything you dont know. Good luck on your new trailer.
Sadly everything I found on the market had leaks of some nature. This one was just one of the cheaper ones I found. There is some black mold, sadly. I'm trying to repair the water damage and kill any mold I find, though I dont have the time and means to rebuild everything. I plan on resealing everything I can with mold-killing primer before rebuilding what I was able to take apart. Replacing insulation, too. From the looks of it, this one won't be a long term keeper. But it will be a first step into living the RV full time lifestyle. I will learn a lot from my first year living in this.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I'm going to be relying on YouTube for instructions on how to work everything. I will get a new estinguisher, fire alarm, battery and propane tanks. I don't trust the old ones and I can take that with me to the next trailer.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #36

For anyone following this that's interested in my progress, you can follow the chain here: http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385829

Project Seal It