Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2018, 06:09 PM   #1

Recommended sites to buy?

Hello peeps, I hope Im posting this in the right place. I'm new to the trailer world and looking for my first pull trailer. I have a small budget (under $5k), so Ive been browsing the usual places for used trailers from owners, such as CL, LetGo, and OfferUp, but havent found a good group on FB. I've been surfing the same sites for months and I feel I hit a rut. Does anyone have a site or FB group they recommend for buying cheap used trailers? Thanks for the tips!
AshAndBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 07:02 PM   #2

You’ve hit the major goto sites. Try RV Trader as well. My first question is what are your expectations? What size or type are you hoping to purchase for your money?
With your price range those trailers get grabbed up pretty quickly. You’ll have to do some hard searching and be at the right place at the right time and jump on it. I assume a pop up is out of the question? I also assume your willing to do some of work on the unit to get it Road worthy. While $5000 is a decent sum of money it’s likely to get you a unit built in the 70’s and 80’s and may not be a fully working trailer and will likely require work. New tires for sure to get it on the road. As long as the major components work that would be a decent start. Normally trailers in that range get sucked up by hunting camps who look for older units that only need a working furnace for the most part. One suggestion I have is to take a drive around some more rural areas and your likely to see some older model trailers just sitting in the fields or next to a garage or barn and the owners would be willing to part with it. Best of luck for your search.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickho View Post
You’ve hit the major goto sites. Try RV Trader as well. My first question is what are your expectations? What size or type are you hoping to purchase for your money?
With your price range those trailers get grabbed up pretty quickly. You’ll have to do some hard searching and be at the right place at the right time and jump on it. I assume a pop up is out of the question? I also assume your willing to do some of work on the unit to get it Road worthy. While $5000 is a decent sum of money it’s likely to get you a unit built in the 70’s and 80’s and may not be a fully working trailer and will likely require work. New tires for sure to get it on the road. As long as the major components work that would be a decent start. Normally trailers in that range get sucked up by hunting camps who look for older units that only need a working furnace for the most part. One suggestion I have is to take a drive around some more rural areas and your likely to see some older model trailers just sitting in the fields or next to a garage or barn and the owners would be willing to part with it. Best of luck for your search.
Thanks, I will try the RV Trader site.

As I'm new to the trailer stuff, I'm not sure if my expectations need to be adjusted. I'm treating shopping for a used trailer like car shopping. I know my budget is small, so I don't have high expectations; I'm looking for functionality above looks.

I know what seems to be available within my budget are older trailers, average seems to be 70s to 80s, and occasional 90s. I'm weary about anything 70s, as those will be harder to find parts for and I'm concerned about insulation and wiring for modern needs. I need something small enough to tow, so I'm looking at 18 to 20 ft trailers with weight below 3500 lbs.

I know plenty of the ones I'm seeing are abandoned projects. Unfortunately, I can't afford and have no means to complete some big project. I can do small stuff that doesn't affect livability and I don't care about things looking old or dated. I'm looking for functionality; can I live in this while I do any repairs or will repairs affect my ability to live in this? I want basics to work; electric, gas and water should function. Should have windows with glass panels (not missing) and a door that shuts and preferably lock (tho locks could be added or changed). No obvious mold and/water damage; if damage is very visable, then it is probably extensive and requires a lot of money and work to fix.

Most of what I've come across has been projects, and many don't list all the damages and I end up finding then in person when I see the unit. Others make arrangements for me to see it, but sell it to someone else before I get there. For some reason, most trailers I find are nowhere near me. They tend to be a 1-2 hr drive away. Seems I just need to get lucky and have the trailer still be there when I arrive and not be completely falling apart.

Or is my expectations too high? Am I asking too much for people to show the trailer's electric/gas/water working? I would think I wouldn't buy a used car without a test drive, is it different for trailers? Seems silly to just take someone's word that it fully works without seeing it for myself.

Thanks for your advice! I'm a total noob to all this, though I'm learning.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #4

I bought our truck new with the knowledge we knew what we wanted in our next trailer. We had to delay a couple of years as I had other unrelated opportunities to get into but when it came time to shop for our next trailer it took us another two years to find the right one that ticked all the boxes. I had to drive 280 miles to look at it but it was like new and well taken care of so I bought it at a fair price. So if you are not in a hurry be patient as the 'right one' will come along.

As for asking to see what works and what doesn't is a reasonable request. In your price range be prepared that you may have to do some repairs so be realistic.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I bought our truck new with the knowledge we knew what we wanted in our next trailer. We had to delay a couple of years as I had other unrelated opportunities to get into but when it came time to shop for our next trailer it took us another two years to find the right one that ticked all the boxes. I had to drive 280 miles to look at it but it was like new and well taken care of so I bought it at a fair price. So if you are not in a hurry be patient as the 'right one' will come along.

As for asking to see what works and what doesn't is a reasonable request. In your price range be prepared that you may have to do some repairs so be realistic.
Thanks for your story! I will keep looking. I have another appointment to look at an 87 Kit this Sat. We will see what happens.

Yeah. I expect I will have to put some elbow grease and upgrades on some level. Thanks man!
Old 03-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #6

Just be aware that spending more money now for something newer may save you money in the long run.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I see you are in Napa. How far are you willing to travel to look?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 03:40 AM   #8

Recommended sites to buy?

I agree, never take their word. Ask to see everything working. Crawl around and get dirty. Look under the unit good, check for soft spots in the floor, pay close attention to the roof and ceiling for leaks and soft areas. Again, tires may be dry rotted on older units so look closely. There out there waiting for you. Don’t be afraid to take that 300 mile drive, it could be worth the effort.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another possibility, if you have a 3/4 ton or larger truck would be a cab-over camper. Fewer things to go wrong and fix, but not as much room.
Wife and I started RVing that way years ago and worked our way up.
Good luck and have fun in your search!
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Just be aware that spending more money now for something newer may save you money in the long run.
The problem is money availability, not willingness to spend. If I had the means, I would much prefer a new one!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I see you are in Napa. How far are you willing to travel to look?
I've been driving 1-3 hrs out every weekend to Sac, to Laguinistas and south to Meeced. If I could have someone guarantee that they won't sell it before I get there (happens all the time, including today), I will drive as far as I can!

Just not having any luck, they tend to sell them while I'm driving to meet them. Sigh!
Old 03-30-2018, 08:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Another possibility, if you have a 3/4 ton or larger truck would be a cab-over camper. Fewer things to go wrong and fix, but not as much room.
Wife and I started RVing that way years ago and worked our way up.
Good luck and have fun in your search!
I just have a 6V Blazer. One day I can upgrade, but for now I can only have one vehicle and this one has to get to about my daily and trailer tow when needed.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:50 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Keep looking! There's one out there with your name on it. All you have to do is find it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Keep looking! There's one out there with your name on it. All you have to do is find it.
Thanks!