Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 10:36 PM   #15

When I'm on vacation it starts when I get to the camp site and the TT is setup.

Anything before that is still work to get to there.

when I put my TT away I don;t spend 3 hours cleaning it up. Looks like the day I bought it.

to each their own... Tough Crowd!
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 08:35 AM   #16

Hi My name is Hamp and I will try the fan solutions mentioned above but in addition to the problems above my Ice Maker only makes about one batch a day. Will the fan issue improve the performance of my ice maker. I have put in a new I.M. and valve system and I already had the anti freeze wiring installed. Can you help. Hamp
Hampphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampphillips View Post
Hi My name is Hamp and I will try the fan solutions mentioned above but in addition to the problems above my Ice Maker only makes about one batch a day. Will the fan issue improve the performance of my ice maker. I have put in a new I.M. and valve system and I already had the anti freeze wiring installed. Can you help. Hamp
The inside Fridge Fix fan will help cool down quicker and will keep the temp more even. The exterior fans will remove the excess heat and will improve the efficiency of the unit. The ARP will improve the safety and control the fans.
Good luck
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:50 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When we had the Dometic we left it on 24/7/365 since it doesn't take much electricity and we had the rig right beside the house. DW ALWAYS overbuys at the store so we used it for the overflow. Right now we have two freezers full as well as the kitchen side by side. The MH refer/freezer is empty still since it was at Cummins for 5 weeks. Going from a 10 CF refer and storage bay freezer to a 22 cf home side by side and the DW STILL had me buy another storage bay freezer! I guess I need to get busy and hook it up though!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #19

Frig mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
If you check into three modifications that you can do to your fridge you will find that you can greatly improve it's performance. The first change is to add an ARP control to your fridge. Google ARPRV to see the advantages. Look at the model with the fan control option. Second change, add fans at top vent if you have one and if your fridge is in a slide out then add one on the lower vent and one at the top vent. The fans mounted on top blow out. The fans mounted in slide outs have the lower fan sucking in and the upper blowing out. Same idea on both. To make these fridges more efficient you need to improve airflow. Third change is to add a Fridge-Fix to the inside of the fridge. This is a great unit that circulates the inside air and eliminates the need to defrost the fridge because the moving air prevents ice build up.
The fan control can be wired up to control both the exterior fans and the interior fans. They will operate only when refrigerant is being produced which is the only time they need to run. If the unit is not cooling then there is no excess heat to remove.
On my RV I added 2 Corsair 120mm fans that do a great job exhausting the excess heat. Not that difficult to remove the upper vent cover on the roof and install the fans and wire them to the ARP.
When I left home last Tuesday I didn't turn on the fridge a day or two early, I turned it on at noon and it was down to normal temp by 4PM. This is the new normal. The cycle to keep the unit at the set temp is also shorter because the internal Fridge-Fix circulates the air and speeds up this portion of the cooling process.
I have posted several posts similar to this one and I am a believer in these products. If you add them you will experience similar results. You can add them in stages if cost is an issue. I think the total cost for all three was about $300 maybe slightly less depending where you purchase.
Give these a try and you won't regret it.

I found the corsair fans and ordered them but I can't find the ARPRV. Can you tell me what that is. Is it an item already on the frig or do I have to buy it and from where, Thanks Hamp Phillips
Old 05-13-2015, 01:16 PM   #20

I found the corsair fans and ordered them but I can't find the ARPRV. Can you tell me what that is. Is it an item already on the frig or do I have to buy it and from where, Thanks Hamp Phillips
Old 05-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #21

and the trouble I am having is that the ice cream is not hard, will this help that situation?
Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 PM   #22

I won't be able to plug it in a day early as driveway won't fit the TT. How can I cool it down while traveling? Just run on propane?
Jbird1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:57 PM   #23
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird1311 View Post
I won't be able to plug it in a day early as driveway won't fit the TT. How can I cool it down while traveling? Just run on propane?

Go to where it's parked, about 12-24hrs before you leave, run the fridge control to the highest number and switch fridge to propane. It usually takes this long for a properly working rv fridge to get sufficiently cool for storing food. at the end of the 24hr period, the freezer should be around 0 to +5 and the fridge box in the upper 30s. You could then turn the control # to 3-4 if Dometic or 5-6 if a Norcold. And yes, leave it on propane when traveling down the road then switch to electric when parked and plugged in to ac.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:28 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I start my fridge no less than three days before a trip so if it does not work I can get it fixed or replaced in time. To run it two extra days is not a big deal.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird1311 View Post
Yes, just run on propane. If you have an auto setting and run it on propane it should switch over to 110 when you plug in at camp site and then return to propane when you disconnect and head home.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampphillips View Post
The ARP stands for absorption refrigeration protection. Google ARPRV and you should find all the info you need. Paul Unmack owns the company and he is great to deal with. The model with the fan control will control the fans. As your fridge becomes more efficient your ice cream should stay hard. My grand daughter would be unhappy with soft ice cream.
You should also look at the Fridge Fix to add to the inside of the fridge. This is a big help for initial cool down and also maintaining an even temp. The Fridge Fix attaches to the interior roof of the fridge and blows on the cooling fins and circulates the air just like your home unit, it also prevents ice build up.
Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:11 AM   #27

Great! Thanks guys. I pick up the TT Saturday. I'm excited and nervous. Hoping it goes well and I don't have to come home without it. 6 hrs one way to get it.
Jbird1311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #28

Two quick questions on this subject. My current trailer is the first one for me with a real rv refrig in it. The frig is located in the slide and it has a vent/louver type directly behind it. The louver has 2 small tabs to keep it closed, the dealer said to make sure the tabs are closed when on the road. So if you are supposed to keep the tabs closed how can you travel with the frig. running? Also, is it safe to travel with the gas on and frig running?

Thanks in advance for your help.
BiggJimm is offline   Reply With Quote