Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2021, 10:36 PM   #29

WE have traveled in very cold temps.....winter camping trips

Nothing quite like walking into a warm trailer for lunch break/potty break or after setting up when it is COLD outside

YES we have run with furnace ON, Fridge ON and couple of times with water heater ON-----
RV Propane system is VERY safe.

Research the safety features and make your own decision based on FACTS not Internet misinformation/fear
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 03:48 PM   #30

When I had a propane fridge, I ran it on 120 volts off my inverter. Have plenty of roof top solar to keep it going while traveling. I would turn off my propane valve before hitching the trailer.

I now use a 12 volt DC compressor fridge.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:17 AM   #31
IC2

I have always left the fridge running on propane while traveling. I'm starting to reconsider that with the current crop of cost reduced propane Dometic and Norcold fridges and the age of our 5er. If I could install the ARP safety device without removing that 200+/- pound Norcold 1210 fridge from its compartment, would never shut it off while traveling.

Your choice, but most travel with the fridge running on propane
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 03:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
...... If I could install the ARP safety device without removing that 200+/- pound Norcold 1210 fridge from its compartment, would never shut it off while traveling.
I have been running one now for about 5 years and would not be without it.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 12:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDandGREY View Post
I always run it on, you’re not going to die
Same
toester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:53 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atir View Post
PLEASE, someone help me, if i am on the move, can i have my refrigerator on using propane ? Travel Trailer 20"
Yes, you can but the reason they recommend not to, is because in the event you should get into an accident and a fire start, that would exacerbate the problem. I leave mine on and the refrigerator on Propane when we are on the road. It is totally up to you!

rjoney55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #35

Life is full of risk/reward decisions.

Is the risk of food poisoning from too high refrigerator temps greater/lesser than the chance of ................

In 24 years/1/4 million miles, I leave the refrigerator on propane except when refueling, tunnels, etc. My choice.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:09 PM   #36

I have never traveled a long enough distance in one day to worry about the refrigerator getting too warm. I do not like having open propane and a flame with all the horrible possibilities that could occur due to no error of my own.
Horrible roads and even worse drivers!
We travel a max (+/-) 6 hour day and the refrigerators are always plenty cool by the time I plug it back in at the next stop or destination.
Roncsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #37

Mines always on after disconnect from shoreline while moving. Even on during fueling. Never a problem in 25 + years between travel trailers and now Motorhome!
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:41 PM   #38

This is a question that people have strong feelings about. Ultimately it is up to you and your risk tolerance. The issue is really not whether to run the refrigerator but whether to shut off the propane. When stopping at a gas station, by law you cannot have open flames. Your refrigerator has an open flame. Consequently, you should shut it off when you pull into a gas station. As far as leaving your propane on going down the road, if you do get a leak and it catches fire, your RV will burn up quicker. It can also because a hazard when you blow out a tire. Many travel trailers have a propane line very near to the tires. You can imagine if a tire blows and damages the line, a wheel hitting the highway would easily ignite the escaping propane. Some RVs have a safety device on the tank valve that shuts it off if propane begins to escape faster than an appliance would use. All that being said, I never shut off the propane on our MH. I did not when pulling a trailer but was not aware of the lines near the axels at the time. If I were pulling a trailer today and the lines were near the tires, I might have second thoughts about leaving it on.
gmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #39

Propane Refrig

Your Refrigerator should automatically switch to propane when mobile unless you are running generator. And Hey, only stupid question when it comes to RV's is the ones you do not ask. Salesman often know very little about function of equipment.
Inspector#19
Okiebigmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:51 PM   #40

Tunnels...

I've seen mention of tunnels in the thread and transporting propane through them.

Tunnels that "dip" (for example the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel) generally do not allow you to transport propane through them.
Tunnels that "rise" or are higher inside the tunnel than the entry point (for example the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the Pennsylvania turnpike) do not have a similar propane restriction.

Why? Propane is heavier than air. If there is a traffic jam *and* a vehicle carrying propane has a leak, that leak would pool in the bottom of a tunnel dip with potentially disastrous results. Tunnels with a rise will allow that propane to "run out" through the lower entry point. This is also why propane is stored outside and not in your basement (like fuel oil).
NomadRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:02 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadRider View Post
I've seen mention of tunnels in the thread and transporting propane through them.

Tunnels that "dip" (for example the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel) generally do not allow you to transport propane through them.
Tunnels that "rise" or are higher inside the tunnel than the entry point (for example the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel on the Pennsylvania turnpike) do not have a similar propane restriction.

Why? Propane is heavier than air. If there is a traffic jam *and* a vehicle carrying propane has a leak, that leak would pool in the bottom of a tunnel dip with potentially disastrous results. Tunnels with a rise will allow that propane to "run out" through the lower entry point. This is also why propane is stored outside and not in your basement (like fuel oil).
If gasoline leaks out in a low-point tunnel the results will be far worse when the first cigarette is tossed out.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #42

Been trough Chesapeake Bay Bridge tunnel and only reqd shut off propane for the transit and they provided pull off area to comply.
Minor inconvenience and good safety practice.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, refrigerator