Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
Aaa

Remove roof AC and use portable room AC when camping during summer

Ok, has anyone done this and what is your feedback.

Currently have 21 foot travel trailer and most trips are either spring or fall so no AC needed.

The roof AC is stupid loud and for that reason alone I want to get rid of it but the plan would be remove it and replace with another roof vent then buy a portable room AC to use on the rare occasions I camp in the summer. (usually SC or CO visiting family)

I pack light so am not worried about the portable AC taking up floor space and it would only be brought along for the summer trips.

Also I do all my own work and camper mods so the cost would only be for another vent. To be honest I am almost certain I'm going to do this but it never hurts to ask if other people have done it and how they felt after the change was done.

For the record I am not worried about resale value with the roof AC gone, even if I do sell the camper some day then, whatever.
Aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #2

Why remove the A/C unit. Maybe try to use a small window A/C unit. Agree the A/C units are loud. I had two on my 5th wheel. When sleeping we would only run the A/C in the living area. That way we could sleep.

I can see cutting a rectangle out of a wall to fit a window A/C unit but that would ruin your trailer maybe. If you could do it in a way to make it nice like trim work and even a way to fill it in nice and tight if not using the window A/C unit. I have seen this done with seasonal trailers that stay on site but they looked crappy.

Again I would not remove the factory installed A/C unit but rather try to add a window unit.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #3
Aaa

Window unit is a non starter. A, the hobo look alone would kill the deal and secondly, there is no way to mount a heavy window AC in the tip out windows.

Now I had considered building in a window AC fitting it under the lower bunk but that is a huge job and I'm really not interested in a permanent AC for how little use it gets. Appreciate the input though.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:52 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I agree with not removing the roof A/C. You'll ruin the TT. I have friends that carry a small swamp cooler for additional cooling. It stores under their dinette when not in use.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:53 PM   #5

We hardly ever use our AC as well, as we camp more remote. Guessing you don’t have a fan already installed.
We have a fantastic fan directly above the bed, so really no reason to remove the AC. We do love the fantastic fan. Does a great job of cooling down the trailer at night.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:02 PM   #6

All the portable air conditioners I've used are more noisy than the roof air.

In case you never used one, I suggest you listen to a few before deciding.

Also, units with intake and exhaust hoses are better than the ones with a single vent hose.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:06 PM   #7
Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
I agree with not removing the roof A/C. You'll ruin the TT. I have friends that carry a small swamp cooler for additional cooling. It stores under their dinette when not in use.
Won't ruin it, quite frankly it will look better without that huge black box up there.

Swamp cooler is an option but it ain't gonna work in SC by the ocean in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
We hardly ever use our AC as well, as we camp more remote. Guessing you don’t have a fan already installed.
We have a fantastic fan directly above the bed, so really no reason to remove the AC. We do love the fantastic fan. Does a great job of cooling down the trailer at night.
Have 3 other vents. One in the bathroom and 2 in the living area. I would use the cash from the sale of the roof AC towards 4 maxxair vent fans the one in there now are the single speed Hengs and they are terrible. Camper is a 2016 with very little use, the AC should bring a fair amount.

Appreciate the input.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:09 PM   #8
Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
All the portable air conditioners I've used are more noisy than the roof air.

In case you never used one, I suggest you listen to a few before deciding.

Also, units with intake and exhaust hoses are better than the ones with a single vent hose.

I had an 8k portable in my Taxa Cricket a few years ago and it was relatively quiet, quiet enough to easily sleep with it running.

Guessing a 12k unit makes more noise but I'd bet good money that nothing is as loud as the roof AC in my camper. We have a portable 10k in an upstairs bedroom (big window, faces the sun, hottest room in the house) I'll have to pay more attention to how loud it is, it is my kids room and I'm rarely in there when it is running.

Will be a good test to put it in the camper on a hot day and see how it performs and how loud it is.

I'd get the dual vent portable and would vent though the wall or floor using marine deck plates so the hole would be sealed tight when not using the AC, this was the set up in the Cricket.

Another option is putting the portable on the trailer tongue in a vented weatherproof enclosure with a hose set up to only allow the cool air into the camper, once again though that is a major mod that I'm not really keen on doing.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:03 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Noise cancelling sleep buds/ear buds?
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:08 AM   #10

You'll want that noisy AC when you go to SC in the summer.
Old 12-07-2022, 05:22 AM   #11
Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfin View Post
Noise cancelling sleep buds/ear buds?
A good option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Dog View Post
You'll want that noisy AC when you go to SC in the summer.
I know, that is why the camper will still have AC.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:18 AM   #12

More money. More work. Residential mini-split.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have one of those floor models on wheels that does heat, AC, and dehumidifies, on my enclosed porch. It doesn't do a very good job and it's pretty bulky. I would stay away from those.
Why not just replace the current AC with a newer, more quiet AC?
Old 12-07-2022, 06:35 AM   #14
Aaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
More money. More work. Residential mini-split.
Agreed, it would be the best option for sure and I did look into it, but yeah too big of a job.

The mini split should be the future of the RV worlds AC situation.

Tags
camping, roof