Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #1

Question Removing fresh water tank from underbelly

It feels impossible to remove the fresh water tank so I'm hoping someone can help. I have a 2008 Starcraft Travelstar trailer and sheared off the fresh water tank drain valve when driving. To get it repaired or replaced, I need to take out the 29.5 gallon plastic tank. I have cleared out the insulation in the 4" access hole and noticed a plastic inlet valve for the water fill. Because of that, I can't slide the tank down. Even if I could slide the tank down and remove the 2 metal braces (held by self-tapping screws), the tank is too wide to slip out of the welded rails holding it up.

I could just destroy the tank to get it out but if I did, how would I get a new tank into the welded rails? I hope I'm missing something obvious. Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6962.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	302424   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6960.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	302425  

matt0932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #2

I'd undo the support straps and bend the supports apart.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #3

Could you epoxy a new valve in place without removing the tank?
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:06 PM   #4

mines about the same way. it looks like they welded 2 lengths of 3/16 or 1/4 angle the length of my tank, my tank has a flange around it. then they laid the tank in and put the flooring on top. its never coming out. lucky my drain is on the side of the tank.

here's what i would try. i would cut a piece 1/4 ABS or any type of plastic and glue and screw it to the tank opening on the bottom where the drain was. i have had very good luck with Amazing Goop or just Goop. it sticks to any thing I've used it on, including plastics. i would then do the same thing on the side of the tank for the drain. you can get a socket flange and screw it to the side, a series of sheet metal screws. then come off of that to a valve.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:22 PM   #5

I can't tell from the pictures but the description makes think this.
The rails hold up the tank and are attached to the frame with self tapping screws. The straps between the rails (the one in the picture screwed down from the top) don't really support the tank they are there to stop the rails from splaying out. Personally, I'd cut those, remove the self tapping screws holding one rail and lower the tank out. The hose (vent and fill) should disconnect from barbed fittings. You should be able to disconnect either at the wall or top of the tank. I'd go for the wall because it will be easier to reconnect later when the new tank goes in. Label all the wire for fill level unless you plan not to use later.
I'd also guess the valve could be replaced assuming no other damage to the tank. Picking the right glue would depend on the tank material. Since the tanks are molded without the fill valve, it can't be that difficult to replace it. I haven't looked, but there might be an access hatch on top of the tank that you can get to once the tank is lowered. I have never replaced a tank or the valve so this is speculation on how the valve was installed went the tank was new.
As A side note, I hate that my valve is the low point going in and out of my driveway and I have to watch it closely and use 2x6 under the tires sometimes, depends on mt entry angle.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:09 PM   #6

All I can say is good luck. I was under my trailer just a few days ago wondering how to change a gray tank valve. There is so much stuff in the way it has me scratching my head to figure out how big a job it is going to be.

They ran the propane line on the same side as the valves...ugh.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:33 PM   #7

I would not be surprised if the tank was dropped onto the frame before the floor was laid.
chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

Can the welds be ground off?
Reinstall using fasteners?
Just a thought.
Seon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #9

It looks like you are saying you can't get to the hose connections to remove them. Just snip the hose up higher and re connect it later or replace it. Ans as it's said, you can replace the drain valve without taking the tank out,
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:35 AM   #10

another idea IF you don't mind the drain being on the bottom. measure the id of the opening on the bottom. then go to your local hardware or plumbing store and look at some PVC AND CPVC PIPE FITTINGS see if you can fined something that will fit snuggly into your opening. you may need to bush a smaller size up with a second fitting. or oversize it a little and then grind it to fit. i would try and end up with a threaded fitting coming out keeping it as close to the bottom as you can. then just put a threaded plug in it that way you don't have that much hanging down to get ripped off agian and you can remove the plug to drain it . just glue the fitting in with a suitable glue.
Jay D.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #11

just glue the fitting in with a suitable glue.

There is the issue. It's really difficult to get over the counter glues to work on rv tanks. I had a 5'er with a hairline crack in a black tank. I tried everything to seal it and finally got JB Weld to work. It would only pee out on the ground if you were several days into a trip. Note: Pun Intended this time.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscowles View Post
I would not be surprised if the tank was dropped onto the frame before the floor was laid.

That's exactly what I observed when we visited the Winnebago plant last year. It may be different for other makes or models though.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
That's exactly what I observed when we visited the Winnebago plant last year. It may be different for other makes or models though.
Mine has heavy welded rails and yes they dropped the tank in and put the floor over it.
Jay D.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #14

I think Tomahawk has it right, at least according to the removal and reinstallation of a fresh water tank that I assisted on. The angle pieces support the tank. Ours were screwed to the frame with self-tapping screws. Remove the fill inlet that’s screwed to the trailer wall. There should be enough play to be able separate the fill and vent lines from the inlet piece. Remove one angle support and drop the tank.
Hope that works for you!
Tomsrancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water