Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Removing long screws from the inside of the frame

I am converting a 35' Wilderness TT into a workshop. The interior cabinetry, appliances, flooring, etc. have been removed.

I know that a TT is built from the inside out. Since I am not taking the siding off, removing the cabinetry was essentially done by brute force in some areas. What remains are a lot of long screws that held the cabinets, and some interior walls, in place. The heads of these screws are, of course, just under the aluminum skin. Since I am not removing the siding, I need to either a) completely remove the screws from the inside from the wood frame, or b) cut them off flush.

This may sound like a silly question, but it has me stumped right now. Using a hacksaw is time-consuming, tedious, and awkward. (I like power tools.) I tried using a Fein Multi-tool but the screws seem to be hardened (20 years old) and simply laugh at the blades.

My next thought is a grinder? With some type of cut-off blade? I don't own one (yet), but am willing to add it to my collection if that is the way to go.

There are dozens of screws sticking out of the walls and overhead and I need to keep this project moving along as fast as possible.

Any suggestions, please?
Attached Images

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 07:15 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
You can also use a multi tool with a metal blade. Less sparks than a cut off wheel on a grinder but slower.
Mr.Geritol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:21 AM   #3

YUP==grinder with cut off wheel or multi-tool....depends on which tool you need more, have both and find grinder more usefull over a wider range of uses.....IMHO
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:26 AM   #4

Carpenter's nippers work well on nails...here are some examples carpenters nippers | eBay But I have not tried them to nip off a hardened screw.
OldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:27 AM   #5

Grinder with a 4.5" grinding wheel. You can buy a nice one (Makita, DeWalt, Bosch, etc) for around $50 to $100, or if you won't use it again, go to Harbor Freight and pay $15 to $20 for one. Note: If you do any extended grinding, you will burn it up!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:28 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Either will work but cut off wheel probably better but even a bolt cutter would do the job. I've got a medium sized one and it works just fine and not sparks.

I'v bought two electrical item from HF thinking that I'd just throw them away when they burned up. That was about 8 years ago and they are both doing just fine. Can't seem to wear them out. One was a 4" grinder and the other was a cut off saw. Good tools. Don't forget to use one of the 20% off coupons as well. You'll need one for each item you buy but they are in about every magazine.

I also bought one of their infrared temperature gauges for under $20. Works great. I even use it to check my wine fermentation temperatures. Neat tool. Heck it may be off a few degrees but who cares???? Still gives an idea.

TeJay
Old 01-06-2016, 07:38 AM   #7

Try grabbing them with Vice Grips. Rock the grips back and forth and the screw usually snaps off very short.

When we laced conveyor belts, the kit came with hollow tools to slip over the long bolts. A few side to side rocking, snapped them clean.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:53 AM   #8
YC1

Dremel tool with cutoff blades. You can get close and clean. They will cut through anything.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

x2 on twinboat's vice grip plan. Grab the screw securely right up against the wall.

Angle grinder from Harbor Freight would be my back up plan (<20.00). Prior to cutting all the way through them with one of those, you could even use that to notch the screws prior to breaking them off with the vice grips. That would allow you to get through a bunch of them pretty quickly.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:24 AM   #10

Either break it off as suggested or cut them off with grinder.
Old 01-06-2016, 10:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Dremel tool with cutoff blades. You can get close and clean. They will cut through anything.
Don't burn up your Dremel on a project like this.

angle grinder = Dremel tool with 100 times the power and reasonably inexpensive disks

4-1/2 in. 4.3 Amp Angle Grinder
4-1/2 in. 40 Grit Metal Cut-off Wheel 10 Pc
Old 01-06-2016, 11:37 AM   #12
YC1

I have used the same Dremel tool for years. It it will NOT burn up. It will cut through screws like a knife through butter. There are two types of cut off blades available too. Some very thing and light weight, some that seem to have fiberglass in them.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #13
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks, guys! Problem solved with your help.

I went with a grinder. Harbor Freight is about a 2-hour round-trip, so the savings would have been devoured by gas and time. Lowe's is only about 20 minutes away.

Lowe's has one on sale right now for $29.97:

Hitachi 4-1/2-in 6-Amp Trigger Switch Corded Angle Grinder

I picked up a couple of cut-off blades. (I already have good eye/ear protection.) Just tried the first screw. It is like cutting butter with a hot knife. Got a clean cut flush with the wood frame member.

Now, onto the rest of the remodel.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #14

You'll now find that tool indispensable. One of my most frequently used hand tools.

Tags
scr