Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2020, 08:33 PM   #15

We've also been struggling with this but in the end, we have just made the decision to purchase. Right decision? Time will tell.

But, one major factor for us is that we wanted to create memories in OUR family trailer. I have 2 young kids and we have rented in the past, but it kind of just felt that we had a fancy place to lay our heads.

We want to have our kids (and us too) to make new great memories in the trailer that is ours, and that we intent to keep for a long time. When we look back at pictures etc. Our little home away from home. For that reason, among others mentioned already by others, we decided to buy.

I am a little stressed about the cost, but this is a hobby after all. And just like other ones, it is done out of enjoyment and cost, as long as it can be afforded, really isn't a factor in doing any hobby.
My 2 cents!
greenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like stated before; some of us rented a unit to see if the RV life style was the thing we wanted to do. The rental was an older unit, clean, and fairly well laid out, and gave us a direction to head in. Since then, we've logged tens of thousands of happy miles, crashed once, made memories and discovered that we didn't use our boat at all after we started to RV.
Now, to be fair, we live in the west where land is a plenty and there are so many places to visit.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:18 AM   #17

Since you have rented in the past and the wife enjoyed it here is what I would do. I would take my budget and apply it to a USED rig. I have done the new route once and have now been full timing for 12 years in a used high end rig we found on a consignment lot. At this point you have not done enough rving to know exactly what you want or need or how much it will actually be used.
Before buying used you may want to have a rig inspected. I would not worry about a warranty if you are the least bit handy. With the lower price of a used rig I never gave a warranty any thought. Understand you will be making repairs or maintenance on anything you get and forums and Utube are great sources of learning to do things.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:39 AM   #18

I agree about buying a higher end model used, I bought my 2002 model year coach used in 2016, when it was 14 years old financing at $500 per month over 4 years. I recently did the math on it, looking up historical interest rates from when it was built, etc. and if I had bought it brand new at the end of 2001 for 75% of MSRP, and paid at the same $500 per month rate, I would still be paying on it for another year.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 11:41 PM   #19

I think a house is the only thing I would buy new! maybe. There are many used campers available and they are well below new pricing. Know what you want, don't compromise and be willing to travel to inspect potential offers.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:01 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It all boils down to cost, convenience and personal choice. The above post pretty well list the pros and cons. There is no right answer that anyone can give for your situation.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:38 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
My last camper was bought new in 2001 for 13k. Sold it in 2020 for 8k.
5k of depreciation over 19 years. Length of ownership will greatly reduce your annualized depreciation. Keep it clean and maintained and you are far ahead over renting.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:11 PM   #22

I would buy used and not even high end...buy something relatively inexpensive with the intention that you will sell it it in a year or two. By that time, you will have had enough trips and experience to really know what you liked, what you don’t, and can zero in on exactly what you want to upgrade to. That is when you want to aim for your $30k unit. Camping owners seem to upgrade every so often. Once you’ve caught this camping/glamping bug, no vaccine in the world is gonna rid you of it!