Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Renting out

Any experiences with renting out your rig when not using it, whether using a third party management or self?
trij65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 10:01 PM   #2

DO you own it out right....no loans?
If still paying on it check with loaning institute.

Do you carry FULL Coverage Insurance?
Medical/Personal Liability etc

Can you afford to fix/repair/retrieve your RV due to damages/breakdowns/abandonment?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 PM   #3

This topic comes up about once per week around here, though usually regarding motorhomes. The vast majority of people say don't even think about it, a few have done it and regretted it, and a very very few have done it and are happy.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Any yet many on these boards will say rent one before you buy one to see if what you think you want actually fits your needs. If it were all that bad there would be no one to rent from.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:15 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You can rent from places like Cruise America think thats what people are saying about rent one, I dont think most people with that much invested in their rig would rent theirs out
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
Any yet many on these boards will say rent one before you buy one to see if what you think you want actually fits your needs. If it were all that bad there would be no one to rent from.

Commercial Enterprise that has a fleet of RVs typically Class C.
They are running a business.

Not an individual will a trailer that is NOT set up like a business with insurance/break down resources/retrieval resources/replacement units etc

Big difference.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #7

The OP posted in the TT section so I assume the question was about renting out their travel trailer. Looking at the Cruise America website it appears they only rent out truck campers and class C motorhomes. Locally there a few who regularly rent out their trailers each year. Some will pull their trailer to a campground for the customer. There was also a small private operator who exclusively rented out a fleet of about 20 TTs and operated it successfully for 20 some years before retiring. When they went up for sale they all looked pretty good. Yes there's a possibility of damage but that's true of any kind of rental whether it be travel trailers or roto-tillers.

To the OP if you want zero risk don't do it, that's an impossible expectation to meet. You might be better off talking to those who do it regularly than a group of enthusiasts. Good luck.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I, too, interpreted the OP's question as being about renting out their RV. They would have no reason to rent one themselves because they have an RV listed in their signature.

Most posts you'll get are from those without actual experience.

Post 4 in THIS THREAD is from a member who actually rented out their pop up. Take a look.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
In a similar vein, my buddy has a 47 foot Carver yacht that he listed for rentals with a yacht charter company where he moored it. One would hope that the clientele of a yacht charter company would be of a certain caliber...

Long story short, he got tired of playing "what did they steal/break now?" and constantly paying for repairs to the most ridiculous things and the yacht being out of service for repairs so he removed it from the charter fleet and was surprised to find stuff was still going missing from the boat... so he and a buddy moved it from the dock one night before telling the charter company it was gone and to cancel his moorage.

He is much happier now and his family gets to actually enjoy their time with the boat.

If you don't mind headaches and aren't emotionally attached to your stuff, give it a try. But you aren't likely to make a ton of money based on what I've seen.

Remember the old adage: "Nothing drives like a rental!"
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:38 PM   #10

I wouldn't recommend it if you have any expectation of inexperienced wannabe campers taking any kind of good care of your rv. Big headaches ahead in my opinion.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:29 AM   #11

The other big issue with renting a trailer, is the question of the renter owning an appropriate tow vehicle.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
DO you own it out right....no loans?
If still paying on it check with loaning institute.

Do you carry FULL Coverage Insurance?
Medical/Personal Liability etc

Can you afford to fix/repair/retrieve your RV due to damages/breakdowns/abandonment?

Excellent points to consider. The 3rd party insures and provides support for problems, but didn’t think about the loan.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:49 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Commercial Enterprise that has a fleet of RVs typically Class C.
They are running a business.

Not an individual will a trailer that is NOT set up like a business with insurance/break down resources/retrieval resources/replacement units etc

Big difference.

That’s the benefit of a third party management service and why I am intrigued.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
The OP posted in the TT section so I assume the question was about renting out their travel trailer. Looking at the Cruise America website it appears they only rent out truck campers and class C motorhomes. Locally there a few who regularly rent out their trailers each year. Some will pull their trailer to a campground for the customer. There was also a small private operator who exclusively rented out a fleet of about 20 TTs and operated it successfully for 20 some years before retiring. When they went up for sale they all looked pretty good. Yes there's a possibility of damage but that's true of any kind of rental whether it be travel trailers or roto-tillers.

To the OP if you want zero risk don't do it, that's an impossible expectation to meet. You might be better off talking to those who do it regularly than a group of enthusiasts. Good luck.

No such thing as zero risk. The benefit of recouping some costs instead of it sitting in storage for long periods of time seems worth it. And, it’s a way to provide some joy to others by letting them get out.