Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #1

I was wondering how often do you guys check and repack your wheel bearing? I'm probably going to be doing this soon as I don't know when mine where done last since I just bought it a few months ago.

Also are doing the wheel bearings on a TT similar to car wheel bearings? Ie. Cotter pin, nut, pull the assembly apart, repack and replace the seal? Also is there a way to know what size seal to use before tearing everything apart?

RedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:33 PM   #2

I was wondering how often do you guys check and repack your wheel bearing? I'm probably going to be doing this soon as I don't know when mine where done last since I just bought it a few months ago.

Also are doing the wheel bearings on a TT similar to car wheel bearings? Ie. Cotter pin, nut, pull the assembly apart, repack and replace the seal? Also is there a way to know what size seal to use before tearing everything apart?

Old 07-25-2008, 10:39 PM   #3

RV wheel bearings are pretty similar to car wheel bearings of old.

I'd suggest using a synthetic grease rated NLGI GC-LB, meaning it meets their highest rating for both wheel bearing and chassis application. Also use new seals. There should be a metal tag on the axle which will give make/model (most likely either Al-Ko or Dexter).

The one thing that is different than cars is that lighter electric brake axles generally do not have self-adjusting electric brakes. Generally, with the axle safely off the ground (jack plus safety stand) and the tire/wheel installed, spin the tire/wheel forward while adjusting the star wheel out until you can't turn the wheel. Then back the star wheel off until you can turn the tire freely, plus about 4 or 5 good bites more on the star wheel...

Unlike manual adjusting drums (really old cars) when properly adjusted you will still hear a skiffing on electric brake axles, which will be the magnet running along the armature surface.

Both Dexter and Al-Ko have very nice downloadable pdf manuals for free.

Under "Service Information" select complete service manual.

http://www.dexteraxle.com/products___literature

And here, just click on "Owner's Manual".

http://www.al-kousa.com/

It is worth it to save both to your hard drive.

As far as frequency, I think both say every 6 months, which I think is a little unrealistic. You would probably never have a problem if you adjusted the brakes a couple times a year, and repacked every two years if you use the trailer frequently. Mine sits up, which I think allows condensation to build up and grease to seperate, so I repack every year.

Good luck, and post back if you have any questions. Sorry about the long post.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #4

Repacking trailer wheel bearingsis time-consuming but not hard. Recommended interval is 12 mos. or 12K miles. Recommended electric brake adjustment interval is 3K miles per dexteraxle.com FAQ . The grease seal will have a number on it, take the old one with you when buying new ones. Any good automotive store sells replacements.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM   #5

Thanks guys! That's what I was looking for. Now I just have to get alittle time to get to it. Got a couple few hundred mile round trip planned in about 3 weeks, so I'd better get to it!

Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM   #6

I finally got to those wheel bearing this weekend and I'm glad I did! I found a couple potential problems, one wheel bearing had a damaged cage, so I replaced it. Another wheel the last person that did the bearings left a spring from a wheel seal in there inbetween the outer bearing and washer! When I pulled that cap I was wondering what had made the gease black on this one wheel (the others where a pretty clean red), that spring in there was eating away at the washer and probably causing ALOT of heat. The bearings still looked good though and there was no pitting or scoring on the races or bearing so I reused them. For now I just flipped the washer around so the smooth side was towards the bearing as I was running out of daylight, but next time I'll make sure to pick up a new washer. I used Kendal High temp grease.

Glad I got this out of the way, one more thing off my mind. Plus I finally got to check the dates on all my tires as 3 of them had the dates on the inside. 3 of them where made in mid 2004 and one in late 2005, so I guess I'll be due for tires in the next year or two. How long do you guys typically run your tires? 5-6 years?

Old 08-04-2008, 03:53 AM   #7

Much easier to do wheel bearings at home, as opposed to out on the freeway once one of them has spun onto the spindle...

Tire wise not going past 6 years is probably a good safe rule.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #8

Jeff is right. There is a valid reason manufacturers of ST tires limit the warranty to 5 years. Goodyear has a 4 year warranty on some lines.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote