Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

Replace these tires?

Getting ready for a 2000 mile round trip Wyoming I looked at my tires on the TT.
Goodyear Marathons lots of tread left. Previous owner I bought it from this spring said he just recently replaced them and it looked legit however the date were mounted on the inside and I never saw them. Today I crawled under to see they were mfg. January 2014.
It was stored outside also not sure if the tires were covered.
I think I know the answer but what would you guys do?
BTW the previous owner, bought the TT new in 2003, was in his 90's so he may have been under the impression that tires last longer I'm not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200925_122649.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	210.3 KB
ID:	302297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200925_122720.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	302298  

Bowtie Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 11:47 AM   #2

If you can afford to, I would if it were mine.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer tires AGE out vs wear out
Born on date was 4th week (04) of 2014 (14)

That makes them 6 yrs 7 months OLD

You can replace NOW while convenient and you can price shop OR you can replace while on trip with whatever is available at whatever price and after being on side of roadway for however long is needed

Your choice......
Seems simple
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

If it was mine I would put new ones on in front only.
Keep the removed ones for spares.
If a rear one goes flat, you should make it to a tire shop.
fishchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
No tire expert here, but nothing can ruin your day faster than a tire blowout in the middle of Bumchuck nowhere. I say good tires are about the best investment any RV owner can make. Most tire failures can be attributed to a few common things.

Weigh your rig and do not exceed gvwr.
Tire age.
Proper tire inflation, always.
Proper load range, usually a good idea to go up one range per axle rating.
Not exceeding the speed rating.
If you can guarantee the previous owner followed these guidelines, run them. If not, I'd replace them with high quality tires.
To me, nothing beats piece of mind. Just my .02.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #6

I'm with Bob, replace them .

A personal story . I was planning a long trip cross country , and took my five year old 5er tires off for examination, 70% tread remaining , having access to the equipment , I re-balanced the tires , none took more than 1/2 ounce of weight , and spun up true on the balancer . On the forth day of travel , sitting beside the RV for HH , I looked over to notice a bulge the size of my hand on one tire , a day of phone calls later a new set of tires was located ( trip delayed ; DW very ) while viewing the tires as they were removed for replacement , 3 of the 4 had separations .
Highway travel and heat will do things to the tire that just won't show up at any other time.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

mine were about that old on my last class-c. I thought I could go a little longer on them and went on a 400 mile trip. I had 2 that didn't make it. Luckilly I didn't have any damage because my TPMS warned me but I did spend hours on the side of the road.

Being that old, I would definitely replace them.
robburns76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I would replace them with the best quality tire you can get. A lot of recent research indicates the Good Year Endurance or Maxxis for trailer tires. For a motor home, I might continue to use them, especially on the rear. But for a trailer, I don't think its worth the potential damage.

Trailers don't have real wheel wells, lined with anything to absorb the impact. A blow out almost always rips the plastic fender skirt off the side and rips into the trailer floor above.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post
I would replace them with the best quality tire you can get. A lot of recent research indicates the Good Year Endurance or Maxxis for trailer tires. For a motor home, I might continue to use them, especially on the rear. But for a trailer, I don't think its worth the potential damage.

Trailers don't have real wheel wells, lined with anything to absorb the impact. A blow out almost always rips the plastic fender skirt off the side and rips into the trailer floor above.
That's exactly what I told my wife . She thought I was nuts for replacing them looking at the tread. Then I showed her a couple pics of the carnage it could cause.
I got some new Goodyear Endurance in the Load range D instead of C.
Thanks for your input guy I know I made the smart move.��

BTW what should I torque them to?
They were extremely tight almost frozen on.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie Jim View Post
That's exactly what I told my wife . She thought I was nuts for replacing them looking at the tread. Then I showed her a couple pics of the carnage it could cause.
Thanks for your input guy I know I made the smart move.��

BTW what should I torque them to?
They were extremely tight almost frozen on.

My Castle Rocks (Chinese tires the manufacturer put on) were less than 3 years old and looked perfect when 2 of them blew out in less than 200 miles of each other. I posted pictures in one of the threads of one of the failed tires. There was no warning of impending failure and I do use a TPM that had no pressure or temperature warnings prior to the blow outs. I still recommend a TPM, but its not a fortune teller...

There should be a sticker on the trailer, usually above the wheels that indicates torque. I believe mine were 100 ft/lbs, but yours could be different.

Good luck and happy travels. Hopefully with new tires there will be no worries.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:42 PM   #11

I replace my trailer tires every 4 years, where they need it or not.

I just bought a set of Goodyear Endurance.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2rv View Post

Thanks for your input guys I know I made the smart move.😎
Old 09-25-2020, 03:15 PM   #13

I don't know how I double post I think it's my stupid phone.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:48 PM   #14

I am not a fan of the Goodyear Marathon tires. I had a blowout on my boat trailer that had Goodyear Marathons. The tire had plenty of tread and was 5 years old.

With the higher speed rated tires like Endurance with 87mph speed rating and many others with 75mph speed rating I think it would be $$$ well spent.

The damage a blowout can do, to me, is not worth the risk.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, tires