Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #1

The fabric on my TT's awning needs to be replaced. I can find the fabric on-line for between $200 & $300. I've spoken to a couple local RV shops & they will sell me the fabric for appx $300 and another $160 for labor(2 hours). I'm pretty good at handyman stuff but don't know how complex awnings are with springs, etc. If you have experience with this please respond on whether or not this is a fairly easy process or not. If it's just time consuming I don't mind the project.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:25 AM   #2

The fabric on my TT's awning needs to be replaced. I can find the fabric on-line for between $200 & $300. I've spoken to a couple local RV shops & they will sell me the fabric for appx $300 and another $160 for labor(2 hours). I'm pretty good at handyman stuff but don't know how complex awnings are with springs, etc. If you have experience with this please respond on whether or not this is a fairly easy process or not. If it's just time consuming I don't mind the project.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 10:50 AM   #3

My FIL had it done recently at a boat upholstery place. He opted for the Sunbrella fabric.

I looked at my awning the other day when I was replacing some weathered parts and it doesn't look too difficult, provided you do NOT take the roller tube apart due to the spring tension.

My "track" on the coach has either end (track or groove) limited by a screw and are a little "bent closed" which helps secure the fabric and the built in "welting" from sliding out. You just remove those screws, adjust the "groove" or "track" a little bit with a large flat screwdriver to open it up a bit and the awning fabric should slide out.

You have to coordinate this with the groove on the roller tube since the awning will need to be pulled to the "full-open" position to expose the awning fabric roller tube groove (there are usually three possible grooves). BTW, make sure you get the right groove and that the awning fabric is installed with the correct side "out" or "up".

I have seen people do this before and you might need a helper to start to "close" the awning to release tension on the new fabric and make it easier to slide in. I think the shops go all the way and release the tension from both springs but I wouldn't want to do this myself since they are very highly tensioned. BTW, the springs are tensioned opposite from each other (one is lefthand, the other righthand).

I may be completely wrong so please check with your local CW or MH shop.

Ken
Old 09-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Riverdog, if you are mechanically inclined and have someone that has done at least one before to help you, it can be done. You will need to be very careful as there is a high risk of personal injury and property damage associated with this job. THere are several ways that the fabric can be r & r. the awning needs to be fully out. The idea is that you have to unload the back end spring assmy while the front can be held in place by the ratchet lock assmy. To unload the spring, you will need to clamp on a good pair of vise grip type pliars and then remove the bolt holding the endcap to the are and pull it out; BE CAREFULL as much tension is on this spring. You will need someone to hold the tube and another to hold the harware arm. Unwund the springfully counting the number of turns it takes as you will later put at least the same number of turns back in; if the awning did not want to retract without help you may want to add acouple of turns. If you add turns to one end you should add the same number of turns to the other end.
Take the arm off the wall that will allow you to slide the fabric bead out of the awning rail mounted to the wall. If you can slide the fabric off & on at the front end this will be the preferred side. If not then you will need to remove the front ratchet end from the arm hardware. Remove screws that are in the awning rail, rain guter if needed and slide the fabric out of the groove in rail. Clean rail, straighten and even enlarge the opening a little to aid in reinstalling new fabric.
Mark the end cap and tube for realignment as well as the grooves used for the fabric beads.
Drill out the rivets from the rear end spring assmy. on the the tube. Slide the spring assmy out and remove the fabric from the tube.
Reverse the process to install fabric and awning back into place.
As you can see this is not difficult but one must know what they are doing and be careful. If you do not feel compfrtable at doing this then I would highly recommend you pay a qualified team to do it for you. The spring assmy can unwind at tremendous speed and if the pliars are attached to the end cap it becomes something like a propellar and be very dangerous. Be careful and let us know of your decision and progress.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #5

See, there you have it. Personally I like a challenge but the $160 to do it for you...and hopefully this covers any accidental damage by the installer, looks like money well spent.

Just my $.02
Old 09-28-2007, 08:15 AM   #6

You'll find the instructions here. From everything I know, you should have 3 people to do this safely. The springs can/will break a forearm.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote