Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 12:48 PM   #1

Replacing entire roof

Hey all, Im new here and need some advice.

I have a 30 ft prowler 5th wheel, i think its a '95 that has been sitting around for quite awhile and has some water damage and needs the roof replaced. Im looking to redo virtually everything about this trailer, excluding moving any plumbing or electrical work.

That being said. I need to start with the roof. The entire thing will need replaced and Im not sure where to start to find a guide or a how to or any kind of information to be able to diy this thing. Has anyone replaced one before? Does anyone know any good sites or even books i can use to figure this one out? I need to have this done by the end of this summer.

I appreciate any help you all can offer. Thank you!!
Dbobsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 03:08 PM   #2

go on you tube and do a search on rv roof replacement. it will give you an
idea what your up against. maybe someone who has done it before
will chime in. i thought i did see someone on here had done it with pics. good luck
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Next door neighbor just had his roof replaced by a RV tech, not a dealer, cost him $3500.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #4

You can do it yourself. Go on Dicor website and see installation videos. Also many on Utube. You should be able to do it for around 12-1500. Not hard or difficult. Simple steps that anyone can do. Just takes some time.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:56 PM   #5

I learned that a complete roof replacement for a 28' replacement, not counting plywood and anything structural like framing, runs around $6k... my wife and I replaced the roof on out 28' Motorhome and spent every off work hour till 10pm for 2 weeks doing it... we shamed the dealership we bought the camper from into providing the rubber but the cost for a 29' x 8-1/2' sheet of 045 epdm from dicor runs around $800... the other materials maybe another 200 - 300... I replaced our shower ceiling including framing and put in a fantastic fan....

It was worth it even with 3 full sheets of 3/8 plywood decking and 7 sheets of luan...

Buy a dozen tubes of self leveling caulk and a half dozen non...
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I replaced the roof and sheeting on our 44' 5er. Just took it apart and replaced the sheeting. EPDM was replaced using some instructions I found on the web.

Did it by myself but if I were to do it again I would have someone to help with laying the membrane.

While the roof was off I replaced the interior lights with LED. Added another circuit and made it dimmable.

Cost for 60 mil 50 x 10 EPDM plus glue and sealant was around 800. Cannot find the name of the supplier but it was a roofing supply in Phoenix.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #7

I watched a new roof go on an OLD MH down in Rocky Point Mex. a couple of months ago. They used a fiberglass scrim material over the previous roof and then rolled on white roofing material that is used on large buildings. I think they used 3 coats of the roll on and 2 of the scrim material. They removed all the roof attachments (a/c unit, antennas, etc). Seemed a reasonable way to go for an OLD MH. Looked pretty good when they were done.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof