Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #1

Exclamation Replacing Tires, Need Help ASAP

I had to replace my spare and rim this weekend and am having second thoughts about the replacements. Luckily, Discount Tire has offered to allow me to trade the tire and/or the rim for full credit towards another size/brand, but I need to give them an answer tomorrow as they are going to order a replacement wheel for me since they didn't have the right one in stock where I was.

So, I need some help figuring the best way to go. The tires on the trailer now are Carlisle branded ST205/75R15 from 2006. The wheels are 15x5.0. The 'temporary' replacement that I got is the same but 2012. Since I got lucky on the trip back (by not having to use this spare), I can trade for whatever I would like. This is where it gets a bit more confusing.

I have looked into getting 16" rims, but am not sure it is the best option. If I stick with the 15" rims, can I still put on LT tires, or am I limited to STs? I figure that, if I save money on the rims, I can get a better tire with that money. If I upgrade to 16" rims, what else must happen? Do they make 16x5.0 wheels, sice I would rather not replace the axles or brakes? What tire size do I need to keep it as close to stock as possible?

I feel like I'm in over my head, and could use some help from my more informed friends at iRV2!!! Thanks for the help!
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Stick with the 15's and get the best tire that you can afford. I would get ST's in the same size as factory.

BTW, a larger rim is not necessarily an upgrade unless you need some special look. You would not need to replace the axles or brakes.

So far, I have had good experiences with three different brands of ST tires.
I like Kenda's. Very thick, very heavy and very stiff.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
A good 16" LT Truck tire will have 50% or more capacity than the St's, will last longer, and be way less prone to blow out.

Your tire dealer will be able to guide you in selection, but you'll need 16x6" rims that will bolt to your exdisting hubs, and most likely 215, or maybe 225 - 70- 16 tires.

A lot will depend on the clearance available in the wheelwell.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

I guess I will jump in myself here... I bought 16x6.5 rims on Etrailer.com and bought 4 new LT245/75/16 BFGoodrich commercial T/A's to replace ST225/75/15 china bombs. It was the best upgrade I have done yet.... and the peace of mind is priceless.
07PSDCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Why do larger rims/tires give you peace of mind? The higher load capacity? I don't know all these abbreviations you're using. I get LT = Light Truck, what's ST?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #6

ST = special trailer
Not to be used in any other application.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #7

So why are LT tires better? Wouldn't we want a high ply count, hard tire for trailers?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
CD

If you have the clearence go with the heavier tires and wheels. I did that years ago on a 17' TT that I could only tow @ 40mph. After the bigger tires I could tow at 70 and it was solid as a rock. I don't tow that fast or reccomend it. I went from 14" 4ply trailer tires to 15" 6ply LT tires.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:50 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ST tires are made to withstand the twisting forces a trailer places on it's tires during tight maneuvers. The LT's are not, nor do the have the UV protection that the ST's have.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #10

Thanks Mr_D and CD, so it seems the larger ST tires are the best bet.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDgtlHipes View Post
Why do larger rims/tires give you peace of mind? The higher load capacity? I don't know all these abbreviations you're using. I get LT = Light Truck, what's ST?
Lt tires are readily available in 16"...not so much in 15" LT tires have a built in reserve capacity as they are used on passenger carrying vehicles where a blowout could be catastrophic. ST tires are rated at MAX and have to be aired up to MAX to carry that load. Given all the internet discussions, photos of damage, and unhappy campers, I opted to forgo damage to my trailer, blowouts on the highway, and general unreliability.

The part about uv protection and turning...., first off, ST tires haven't been out as long as LT tires. What was used before ST? The tires last just as long on my fver as they would on my neighbors f350. I may not put on the same mileage as him, but every 5-7 yrs. I don't drive in circles to get my fver to a campground, nor do I cut 90 degrees all the time. (haven't yet) The fact I can go over 65 and not risk damage is good too.

The tires I replaced, 225/75/15 load E were only rated 2830 lbs at 80 psi. My trailer is 12000 The new tires are 3042 lbs each and have reserve capacity. After weighing my rig, I am no where near full gross trailer weight.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #12

They will call me later today, so I'm hoping to have an answer for them about where I would like to go on this. Problem is, it sounds like everyone has differing opinions (welcome to the internet!!!).

Personally, I would like to stay with the 15" rims, but it sounds like changing to LT tires is the safest option, due to the reserve capacity(is that right?). The trailer weighs around 7-8000lbs (haven't had it weighed). How high of a load capacity should/can I get? With 4 tires, I assume that if it is atleast 2500lbs/tire then I'm safe, right? What brands should I consider?

On the ST side: I looked at the Maxxis, but they aren't available in my size, so I may have to change the rims to get them, or could I use a different size tire on my current rims? Does anyone have experience with Carlisle ST tires? Are they worth keeping? So far, they have done their job, but I don't put too many miles on them (probably 4-5000 miles since I bought the trailer a year ago). And, they ARE 6 years old, so maybe it's just time to replace them, especially since the last 1.5 years have been baking in the Arizona sun. They are starting to develop sidewall cracks...

Thanks all for the help!
DrivinMyHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:41 PM   #13

I did not realize we were talking lightweight trailer here. Thats why i was strongly suggesting the upgrade... I appologize. With your trailer being only 7-8,000lbs, I'm sure you can find a quality ST tire rated 2500-2750 in your size. Kenda, carlisle, commodore, and maybe Goodyear marathons as long as you are well under the ratings would be good tires. I had good luck with Triangle Tire Product Line tires myself. I had the TR643 on a utility trailer similar in weight that you are hauling
Old 06-21-2012, 12:06 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07PSDCREW View Post
The part about uv protection and turning...., first off, ST tires haven't been out as long as LT tires. What was used before ST? The tires last just as long on my fver as they would on my neighbors f350. I may not put on the same mileage as him, but every 5-7 yrs. I don't drive in circles to get my fver to a campground, nor do I cut 90 degrees all the time. (haven't yet) The fact I can go over 65 and not risk damage is good too.
I just replaced tires on my utility trailer, it was last licensed in 2008, the take offs were at least 15 years old and were LT tires too. So LT's have been around for quite a while.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires