Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2022, 01:42 PM   #1

Residential Toilet

Hello,

We have a permanently parked, 2012 Forest River Salem Villa Estate 393RLT on a full hook-up site.

It's been on this site since new and we pull the tank drains as needed.

The Dometic toilet has finally given up it's usefulness.

We are thinking of replacing it with a home, tank flush model and still utilize the black tank.

I know park models have home flush toilets but don't have holding tanks to contend with.

Other then having to monitor the black tank level more closely, does anyone see any other disadvantages that I might have overlooked?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #2

Two come to mind. First you’ll have to monitor your black tank and drain more frequently. Next, if you ever go to sell and the new owner wants a dometic or similar toilet, you’ll have to replace it. Doubt you or someone else would want to drive down the road with a house toilet. A receipt for leaks. Best on whatever you decide.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What is it about the RV toilet that's has you thinking to replace with a residential?

If comfort and wanting an elongated and porcelain bowl, something like a dometic 320 fits the bill.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm not sure a standard toilet flange will work without modifications.

Not sure if the air vent will be an issue. Rv toilet don't need the a good vent to flush. The entire flush on a standard toilet counts on a good vent

As already mentioned the black tank will fill up faster. The use much more water per flush
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:17 PM   #5

Actually a residential toilet works quite well. I installed a low flush one in my bus. But then I converted my bus. I have a lot of residential things in my bus. They all travel down the highway just fine. With a residential toilet, I leave the black tank open when on full hookups. The trap in the toilet does not allow bugs inside. With the black tank closed, the residential toilet will start "burping" when there are two or three flushes left in the black tank. There are now toilets that have a lower gpf rating than the one I have. When I do travel, I simply turn off the water shut off that was installed, just like on a house. The bowl never holds a lot of water in the first place and it never sloshes out when traveling, even on really rough non-roads. Since my toilet is a "two part" toilet, I put a row of vinyl weather stripping with a short threaded pipe (to let air in and allow flushing) breaking the seal under the tank lid. This provides enough cushion that I don't worry about the lid bouncing possible getting broken from rough "roads". The lid usually get strapped down lightly with a bungee cord. The toilet flange used on an RV toilet is the same as what is used for a residential toilet. You will have to replace the "wax ring". RV toilets use a rubber boot. I find that the foam rings actually work better than the boots or wax rings. As for the amount of water used.... my vintage Traveler 910 used the almost the same amount of water (1 gallon) to flush as the Home Depot residential toilet (1.25 Gallon). Also, since the switch, have not had a clogged black tank (once with the 910 was enough). When traveling, I keep track of the number of flushes on a notepad. This way I know well ahead of time, when to dump the tank. The residential toilet uses 1.28 GPF. Black tank capacity divided by the toilets GPF = how many flushes before you need to dump. Unless you are leaving the black tank open. The sewer hose is supported the entire length with a PVC rain gutter so I have no low places. I have had to pull the toilet twice since I originally installed it (remodeling). A scope pointed into the tank shows it clean with no buildup. I have been running this setup for 10 years. Works for me. But be prepared for RVers to get upset with you if you do it. I have been called a lot of nasty names because I do not patronize RV appliance & parts manufacturers and have the audacity to use residential items in my bus and camper.
LMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What is it about the RV toilet that's has you thinking to replace with a residential?

If comfort and wanting an elongated and porcelain bowl, something like a dometic 320 fits the bill.
You're right. I had a Dometic 320 in a motorhome and it was fantastic.

I guess I'm just tired of forgetting to shut off my fantastic fan every time I flush the toilet and my nose paying the consequences for it.

Thanks
Old 04-20-2022, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMHS View Post
Actually a residential toilet works quite well. I installed a low flush one in my bus. But then I converted my bus. I have a lot of residential things in my bus. They all travel down the highway just fine. With a residential toilet, I leave the black tank open when on full hookups. The trap in the toilet does not allow bugs inside. With the black tank closed, the residential toilet will start "burping" when there are two or three flushes left in the black tank. There are now toilets that have a lower gpf rating than the one I have. When I do travel, I simply turn off the water shut off that was installed, just like on a house. The bowl never holds a lot of water in the first place and it never sloshes out when traveling, even on really rough non-roads. Since my toilet is a "two part" toilet, I put a row of vinyl weather stripping with a short threaded pipe (to let air in and allow flushing) breaking the seal under the tank lid. This provides enough cushion that I don't worry about the lid bouncing possible getting broken from rough "roads". The lid usually get strapped down lightly with a bungee cord. The toilet flange used on an RV toilet is the same as what is used for a residential toilet. You will have to replace the "wax ring". RV toilets use a rubber boot. I find that the foam rings actually work better than the boots or wax rings. As for the amount of water used.... my vintage Traveler 910 used the almost the same amount of water (1 gallon) to flush as the Home Depot residential toilet (1.25 Gallon). Also, since the switch, have not had a clogged black tank (once with the 910 was enough). When traveling, I keep track of the number of flushes on a notepad. This way I know well ahead of time, when to dump the tank. The residential toilet uses 1.28 GPF. Black tank capacity divided by the toilets GPF = how many flushes before you need to dump. Unless you are leaving the black tank open. The sewer hose is supported the entire length with a PVC rain gutter so I have no low places. I have had to pull the toilet twice since I originally installed it (remodeling). A scope pointed into the tank shows it clean with no buildup. I have been running this setup for 10 years. Works for me. But be prepared for RVers to get upset with you if you do it. I have been called a lot of nasty names because I do not patronize RV appliance & parts manufacturers and have the audacity to use residential items in my bus and camper.
Excellent information ! Thanks so much !
Old 04-21-2022, 09:31 AM   #8
Community Moderator

How much room between the flange and the wall do you have? Will there be allot of modification required for it to fit?
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 10:26 AM   #9

Good question.

We are going to the trailer this weekend and measurements will determine the final outcome.
Old 04-21-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balou View Post
Good question.

We are going to the trailer this weekend and measurements will determine the final outcome.
Just wondering if the flange will need to be moved and/or the drain replumbed to fit.
Keep posting on fit.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
How much room between the flange and the wall do you have? Will there be allot of modification required for it to fit?
My dreams have been shattered.

I don't have the required 12 inch's from the wall to flange center for the residential toilet.

Dometic 320 will be the new host.

Thanks everyone !
Old 04-25-2022, 04:23 PM   #12

I know they make a 1" and a 2" offset flange. Would gain you an 1" or 2".
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Also some there are some toilets with less offset for the center of the flange
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balou View Post
My dreams have been shattered.

I don't have the required 12 inch's from the wall to flange center for the residential toilet.

Dometic 320 will be the new host.

Thanks everyone !
Have to say, I saw that coming. I'm sure the 320 will serve you well.

Dave

Tags
toilet