Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Riddle me this....OCD or something else. (leveling trailer)

Hi all,

I am leveling my trailer for winter storage.

Concern: After taking a level to the trailer, nothing seems to be level. The level is not showing the trailer extremely out of level, but areas like the front of the frame where the tongue is I would expect to get accurate and similar readings on all sides using a level. These differences might be too small to be concerned, but I am too inexperienced in the TT world to know for sure.

Storage spot: The area the trailer will remain over winter is on uneven dirt.

Leveling attempt: I tried to level dirt as much as I could but the ground is already frozen. When facing the front of the trailer the Right (driver side) rear tire was about 3" lower and the right side (driver side) of the trailer was lower overall.

I backed the trailer onto some boards and left it. The trailer is now not able to be moved again by truck until spring. The right side (drivers side) ended up needing further adjustment after the ground settled some. I used a bottle jack under the axle to lift the rear wheel up to slide an additional board under it.

Please see the pictures to see the leveling results and where they are observed. This is the first time I have used an actual level on the trail. All other times I used bubble levels on the side of and back of the trailer which I installed after purchasing the trailer. So there is no guarantee they read accurately. Hence, now why I am using a level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer frame (toung area) left side facing front of trailer_front to back.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	265296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer frame (toung area) right side facing front of trailer_front to back.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	265297  

Name:	Trailer frame (toung area)_side to side.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	265298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer frame rail under slide out_front to back.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	265299  

Name:	Trailer front slide out arm_front to back.jpg
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	265300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer front slide out arm_side to side.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	265301  

Name:	Trailer rear slide out arm_front to back.jpg
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	265302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer rear slide out arm_side to side.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	265303  

Name:	Trailer rear bumper_side to side.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	265304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer front step frame_front to back.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	265305  

TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Interior observations
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Trailer floor_Front to Back.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	265306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer floor_side to side.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	265307  

Name:	Trailer counter top by rear door_side to side.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	265308  
Old 10-30-2019, 07:30 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
They all look right on the bubble, so to speak, to me
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
You've got a couple of pictures there where you're a SMALL (tiny, tiny, miniscule) amount out of level, the rest of them read pretty much dead on.
It's level, you're done, walk away.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 AM   #5

With your concerns, maybe you should use a laser level.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

I'm a newbie and don't understand why a coach needs to level when stored?
WantAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:29 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantAB View Post
I'm a newbie and don't understand why a coach needs to level when stored?
I don't think they have to be when stored. I have some upgrades I am going to perform on it while it is sitting so that hopefully I can get out and do some winter camping once my truck is ready to go.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
You've got a couple of pictures there where you're a SMALL (tiny, tiny, miniscule) amount out of level, the rest of them read pretty much dead on.
It's level, you're done, walk away.
Don't have to tell me twice. Thank you for the feedback!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

Unless you're running the fridge or need to open the slide out when in storage you could store it on the side of a mountain and it won't hurt a thing.
As far as finding a reference point for leveling. We used to just use the exterior side of the TT for side to side and use the floor inside for front to back.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #10

Even when running the fridge, if you're comfortable, the fridge is comfortable.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Unless you're running the fridge or need to open the slide out when in storage you could store it on the side of a mountain and it won't hurt a thing.
As far as finding a reference point for leveling. We used to just use the exterior side of the TT for side to side and use the floor inside for front to back.
I will have the slide in and out so that is the main reason why I would like it to be level.

That was going to be my next question. What did everyone use as reference points when leveling. Do you use a 4' level or 2' when using the exterior side and floor to determine the level?
Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_TR250RDS View Post
I will have the slide in and out so that is the main reason why I would like it to be level.

That was going to be my next question. What did everyone use as reference points when leveling. Do you use a 4' level or 2' when using the exterior side and floor to determine the level?
Now that you have your trailer level, put the level on the kitchen counter (or any handy horizontal surface of decent size) and check to see that it's level. We'll assume that it is.
Now, fill a clear measuring cup to one of the lines on the cup - it doesn't matter which line. Put the cup on the counter, if the water in the cup touches that line all the way around the cup, or is 'close enough' then you're level. Otherwise the water will tell you where the low/high spot is by how it sits in the cup.
Between that and a swinging door (which should stay where you put it, anywhere in it's swing) you can get level enough for either fridge or slide without much in the way of testing. It doesn't have to be PERFECT, it just has to be close.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:55 AM   #13

I used stove top which is right next to fridge

I then found level based on stove top..checked the fridge and it was level

I then glued 2 small levels on front of trailer.
One representing side to side and one front to rear
Glued them on LEVEL so they were reference to level on stove/fridge

After that..the 2 levels at front of trailer was all I used when setting up

CLOSE not pin point accurate is ALL that is needed for slides/fridge operation.

No need for OCD whether is be level, waste tanks, TP or anything else associated with RVs
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT_TR250RDS View Post

I used a 2' level. I also have https://www.beech-lane.com/camper-levelers . I had my wife hold the level against the side of the trailer and I backed up on the levelers until she gave me the good signal.
Front to back I just stuck the level on the floor.
On our previous 5th wheel I had one of those big curved 2 way levels on the pin box.
A few months ago I installed the https://logicbluetech.com/ on our new TT. Might just be the coolest thing I've added to any of my trailers.
The cool thing about the LMP is the hitch recall. After you unhook you hit save hitch. When re-hitching you hit hitch recall and you then raise or lower the trailer to the same exact height as when you unhitched.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling, trailer