Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #1

Rockwood vs Cougar Build and Quality

I am considering either a Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S or a Keystone Cougar 22RBS. I was wondering every ones thoughts on the build quality of each.
My thoughts so far

Cougar Pluses

Thicker walls and pass through doors (slam latches)
More headroom
Trussed Roof vs Bonded
Less expensive (in this case 2022 model)
Better extended season insulation

Minuses

No Adzel!
Leaf springs
Slide walls in slide, are not bonded

Rockwood Pluses

Vacume bonded 2 sided Adzel on all walls
Torsion Bar suspension
Aluminum Framed plywood floor
A little better finished cabinets

Minuses
Bonded Roof (perhaps)
Really thin Passthrough doors with no slamm latches
Have heard bad reviews of Forest Rivers warranty responses

Any thoughts
Thanks for the help, this is a big purchase for us (hopefully our final trailer)
hoss10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2023, 04:19 PM   #2

I have the Rockwood in my signature. We have had no problems with it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 10:09 AM   #3

Rockwood/Flagstaff's look nice but there is a thread on IRV2 of the cabinets coming loose from the wall. Don't know how often that happens.

All new Cougars come with some nice options like solar and a few outlets that stay live to charge phones.

I am thinking my next travel trailer will have a PVC roof for longevity.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #4

Hi. We had a 2005 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 for five years. Serviceable, functional and OK. We currently have a 2020 Cougar 23RBS and it id like going from "just holding together" to brick out house quality. Granted, it is a pre covid unit but they might be back to normal by now. Sturdy unit with a 6" frame and not 4" as the Mini Lite had. Good luck in your searches.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:40 PM   #5

I think you've got a good handle on it. I have friends with both the Cougar and the Mini-Lite and both like them.

I like the Azdel but prefer the roof truss system of the Cougar. Layout wise the Cougar is better IMO; 70" x 80" "King" vs. 60" x 74" "RV short queen"; the kitchen is bigger and I don't like having fridges in slides.

Actually the Cougar 22RBS is one of my favorite "small trailer" layouts and is the same as the Outdoors RV 22FQS. The ORV is a better built trailer but at 9,995 GVWR you need a HD pickup to tow it.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 04-04-2023, 06:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Hi. We had a 2005 Rockwood Mini Lite 2304 for five years. Serviceable, functional and OK. We currently have a 2020 Cougar 23RBS and it id like going from "just holding together" to brick out house quality. Granted, it is a pre covid unit but they might be back to normal by now. Sturdy unit with a 6" frame and not 4" as the Mini Lite had. Good luck in your searches.
So to be clear, you feel the Cougar is built BETTER? I don't know anything about the Cougar brand, but I have an open mind for my next TT. Well, sort of. I'm leaning away from Jayco as I find their carrying capacity to usually be pretty poor and I've had enough Jayco motorized to understand first hand their build quality.

Currently without travel trailer
Sbad0cko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 06:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I think you've got a good handle on it. I have friends with both the Cougar and the Mini-Lite and both like them.

I like the Azdel but prefer the roof truss system of the Cougar. Layout wise the Cougar is better IMO; 70" x 80" "King" vs. 60" x 74" "RV short queen"; the kitchen is bigger and I don't like having fridges in slides.

Actually the Cougar 22RBS is one of my favorite "small trailer" layouts and is the same as the Outdoors RV 22FQS. The ORV is a better built trailer but at 9,995 GVWR you need a HD pickup to tow it.

2 cents,
Dave
Your post made me do some digging last night. I learned the hard way that one has to dig deeper when a manufacturer posts up a fully laminted roof. My Minnie Winnie had one (Winnebago Class C). I was very hesitant to purchase as the roof on those are flat, but the dealer and factory rep convinced me they'd been building them like that for decades and it'd be fine. Only to discover that they were full of it. Lots of videos on Winnie roof repairs of their laminated roofs. And this was the kicker for those that don't know. at least on their class C's there is no roof truss system at all ! It's held together entirley by their lamination process of luanne, styrofoam, luanne, and roof filon. That Jayco was looking pretty good w/ their Magnum Truss roof system !

So anyway it would appear that Rockwood also has a laminated roof, but their brochures DO show trusses. So at least there is that. Not sure how much better the Cougar's are.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:24 AM   #8

Just my .02 cents

So when we were looking back in 2020 for a Newer Camper, We actually had a Salesman that we didn`t know that came straight out & told us to stay away from Keystone because they have Alot of Warranty Service Repairs compared to all there other makes they carried. We camp Alot with my wife`s Cousins & the one has a Keystone Cougar Fifth Wheel 40 footer (Fiberglass Body) which has had many numerous problems, It`s only about 3 years old, Had A Gouge on Kitchen floor from the Slide out Moving in & out, Cracks at the top on Outside & Inside walls next to the Slide out, Cabinet doors Warping & delaminating / Peeling. Residential style Fridge was Fixed 2 times before being Replaced Completely, Leaf Spring Hanger Bracket to Frame had broken. So that's a Quick Short list but the worst So take it as you will, Just sharing what I`ve seen.
Cheers.
Silveradoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 10:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbad0cko View Post

So anyway it would appear that Rockwood also has a laminated roof, but their brochures DO show trusses. So at least there is that. Not sure how much better the Cougar's are.
When I was looking at Rockwood Mini-Lites a couple years back, they used aluminum trusses on the very front, very back and on both sides of the AC unit.....but that was it. I was very concerned about where/how to properly mount solar panels......my ORV has wood trusses with 3/8" marine plywood on top so I can mount solar panels wherever I want.

Dave
Old 04-04-2023, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
When I was looking at Rockwood Mini-Lites a couple years back, they used aluminum trusses on the very front, very back and on both sides of the AC unit.....but that was it. I was very concerned about where/how to properly mount solar panels......my ORV has wood trusses with 3/8" marine plywood on top so I can mount solar panels wherever I want.

Dave
Oh ... I hadn't realized the trusses didn't occupy the full length of the trailer. Jeez - who would think to ask that?

The Rockwood just went from a 90% buy to a 75% buy to me now. I've not read many Rockwood roof failures, but still ...

Old 04-04-2023, 10:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Oh ... I hadn't realized the trusses didn't occupy the full length of the trailer. Jeez - who would think to ask that?

The Rockwood just went from a 90% buy to a 75% buy to me now. I've not read many Rockwood roof failures, but still ...
I'm 300lb and walk my Mini Lite roof as needed. Have I heard the luan outer layer crunch a few times, sure but its been fine. Even kneeling around the A/C unit during maintenance. Even put 4 panels up there with screws to mount without any issues.

If you contact Rockwood/Flagstaff they will give you a roof plan if you ask. Many people have done that for panel mounting, etc.
Old 04-04-2023, 12:23 PM   #12

Quote:

Not trying to talk you out of one, just expanding on how they are built. Many years ago now, they used the same laminated assy on the FLOOR which was a disaster IMO......on the roof it's not as big a deal as long as you know ahead of time and plan on mounting solutions, etc. for adding panels.

Dave
Old 04-06-2023, 08:53 PM   #13

we have a Rockwood 2608 and used it for several trips including one 45 day trip. The issues i have had are pretty common to all trailers.
1. smells it bathroom. - solution the cheep plastic toilet leaked in the back and replaced it with a porcelain and problem solved.
2. day/nite shades wont work - the cables/ strings pulled out of the wall and i replaced several with larger screws - problem solved.
3. bed was crap - trued several mattress toppers and went with air mattress -probolem solved.
4. water leaking out of the water fill - used the pump when on city water and check valve got stuck open - solution stopped using water pump when connected to city water.
5. Fridge not cold elec/propane - replace the controller and problem solved.
6. Replace the china bomb tires if coach does not come with goodyears.
7. Tire skirt cracked - replaced and added more screws to reduce the vibration - problem solved.
8. sticky doors - readjusted latches and added screws to frame so doors would not rub.
9. replaced the PS 2 stabilizers with auto levelers and reduces the rocking and made set up and take down alot and i mean alot easier.
10. added/replaced missing screws on the bottom cap - they vibrate loose -so carry some.
11. replaced the foam in the cushions on the dining seats - ohh man that was one of the best things i have done. Factories the shining and cheapest foam.
12. added plastic corrugated loom on wiring in key areas like awning, battery cables under the frame etc.

Most of these issues i did with by 5th wheel too. Other than the fridge controller going out we have not had any real construction / warranty issues with our trailer.
ikoolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 10:52 PM   #14

The #2 issue is common with most trailers. Easy fix with plastic anchor and I used the same screws.

You will find thin plywood in places which I used thicker plywood to replace the crappy thin plywood.

I had a cheap trailer that nothing went wrong in 5 years. I had an expensive trailer that had many little things go wrong. I never had an issue with any appliance.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality