Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

Roof & trailer sealing repair on the road

Other than my introduction, this is my first post on this forum, so I'm not sure if this is in the right place.

I'm new to this and am looking to get some sealing supplies such as a few tubes of Dicor self-leveling, Dicor non-sag, Geocel Pro-Flex, a roll of Eternabond, some butyl rope, etc. I'm planning on taking these on the road with me in case of water issues. Is this overkill or prudence? Do I do what I assume I should and take up precious cargo space with this stuff (or some of it) or do I wait and seal 'er up right when I'm back home?

We're not full-timers and plan on being out on weekends not too terribly far from home about every 3 weeks mixed in with some week or two long treks around the country once or twice a year.
Refugee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #2

Once we learned the dire importance of sealing a leak early, we started carrying a roll of eterna bond and tube of Dicor I believe it was all the time.

Though if living in a warm place its best to bring it back into the house after the trip, if the rig sits in the sun or extra humid environment.

This industry is famous for problematic design and implementation of chosen off the shelf supplies and no central responsibility for the product by the brand corp!

Spare tire, spare fuses, drywall screws of various sizes, high quality body repair tape, if a drivable RV then fuses, length of wire if needed, volt meter, water pressure restriction device, voltage stabilization device,...a good tow program....

This is a great totally involving hobby, the people in it take what ever the builders dish out with a smile and a fat wallet to fix and all the time in the world.
Old 05-17-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Quick note, we started with banana or peach boxes as the crate system to store and cart out camping gear before stocking them into the RV or sometimes just placing them into and other appropriate sized boxes for a quick load and unload. Slowly we evolved into plastic crates etc.
Old 05-17-2021, 03:55 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Those are definitely good supplies to have on hand - never know when you might misjudge the height of the tree limbs when backing in. I carry a selection of Dicor leveling/no-sag, a tube of clear Lexel and a roll of 4" eternabond plus a spray can of the eternabond prep/cleaner. A roll of appropriately colored Gorilla tape is also a must. I carry a roll of black and a roll of white.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #5

I carry what i need to apply the stuff, but not the dicor itself. Its usually pretty readily available and id honestly rather put it on fresh as opposed to a tube thats been sitting around for a couple years.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:50 PM   #6

Thank you all for responding. I really appreciate it. I’ve taken something from everything that’s been said. I’ll keep a stock of sealing supplies but also keep in mind shelf life.
Refugee99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, repair, roof, seal, trailer