Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #1

Roof protector

Is there a special sealant/wax or spray I should be using on my TT rubber roof to prevent or reduce wear from sun exposure? I just bought it used and it's in very good shape, but I was worried about it being parked outside in the elements all the time.
jaycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
GPW

Jay , as we found out the hard way ... the absolute best roof protector is a Garage ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 AM   #3

I will follow this thread as I also just boought a Newmar trailer with a rubber roof. This is my first RV with a rubber roof so I have no experience with the "best" way to clean and maintain it.
I hope someone with the expereince will share here.
Kountry87Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycle
Is there a special sealant/wax or spray I should be using on my TT rubber roof to prevent or reduce wear from sun exposure? I just bought it used and it's in very good shape, but I was worried about it being parked outside in the elements all the time.
I had a problem this year for the first time. Keep it clean, I use simply green and a nylon push broom it comes back looking new. Then after it drys seal it with rubber roof sealer. You can get it at your RV dealer or on line. I use rubber roof sealer, I pour it in a paint can and mop it on with a sponge mop. Don't have to put it on heavy. It works well. Dicor is the tube of roof sealant that you can use on seams and around vents etc. Stay on it a couple of times a year and it will last. Good luck
Cngdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5

Dicor, the manufacturer of EPDM roof covering, states a simple washing 2X yearly is recommended, no other actions is required. Before Dicor began selling a line of products for EPDM roof care, they recommended using Spic N Span to wash the roof. They warranty their EPDM material for 12 years if you do nothing. A visit to their website Dicor - The Components RVs are Born With will be quite informative and useful.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

I clean the roof with an RV rubber roof cleaner then seal the roof with an RV roof uv protector. Some come with cleaner and uv protector in one. After it dries I then reseal the joints with self leveling sealer. The camper/RV/travel trailer roof is made for the elements and will last for a long time as long as you clean and seal!
Funkmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #7

Do you still have to seal if it's has a cover on it?
Kootykatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
GPW

I use Spic n span on my TPO roof , cleans it fine... but I'm afraid to scrub it too hard , it being sooooo thin .. I assume now , nobody is using the TPO anymore huh ??? I'd have been much better off with an EPDM roof , which my dealer "said" it was ...he Lied !!! Not the only one either ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:59 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Read the roof manufacturers warranty and instructions. Most just recommend scrubbing with a nylon brush and a non petroleum based cleanser. We used Spic=N=Span. Most of the so called roof sealants are designed to to make you feel better and also put some money in the manufacturers pocket. A roof will get some staining and not be pristine white. The stains hurt nothing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootykatie
Do you still have to seal if it's has a cover on it?
I clean and seal the roof in the beginning of every season regardless if I had the TT covered during the winter.
Funkmoney is offline   Reply With Quote