Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #1

Roof Sealant

Quick question for anyone with an opinion

Can/Should I use non-leveling Dicor on the roof?

I noticed the seam along the back of our TT is poorly sealed from the factory. There are some small holes in the bead of sealant applied by the factory. I have some Dicor non-leveling sealant already. It would just be a thin bead on the existing sealant, but I don't want it to look like I cut corners. This would save money and time.

Or, should I order the self leveling and wait a few more days to seal it up?

I've never applied the non-leveling sealant before so I don't know what to expect. I have done plenty of the leveling sealant.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Your roof is vinyl, and Dicor is a good sealant to use on that. I suppose you could use non leveling sealant, but if you do, then use a putty knife or something to smooth it out. Better yet, go somewhere that carries self leveling and get some, or order some.
Old 06-13-2021, 06:40 AM   #3

Thanks

I slept on it and decided to order the self leveling. Then I know the sealant is flowing into the voids a little better than the non-sag.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planeteer View Post
I slept on it and decided to order the self leveling. Then I know the sealant is flowing into the voids a little better than the non-sag.
You made the proper decision and for the right reason.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #5

I use the non leveling stuff to make the initial seal against the gaps.

if you put on rubber gloves and dip your fingers in paint thinner you can wipe them over the stuff and make sure it is pushed into cracks while smoothing it out to what ever profile you desire.

I then cover it with the leveling stuff.

I have discovered that painting it hardens the surface and keeps dust and other crap from sticking to it, while still being flexible. I'm guessing this will also keep the stuff from drying out and cracking as quickly, but that the results of that experiment will take several years. I use the rustoleum deck paint.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
I use the non leveling stuff to make the initial seal against the gaps.

if you put on rubber gloves and dip your fingers in paint thinner you can wipe them over the stuff and make sure it is pushed into cracks while smoothing it out to what ever profile you desire.

I then cover it with the leveling stuff.

I have discovered that painting it hardens the surface and keeps dust and other crap from sticking to it, while still being flexible. I'm guessing this will also keep the stuff from drying out and cracking as quickly, but that the results of that experiment will take several years. I use the rustoleum deck paint.
That's a good idea. It's always a bummer to see nice clean sealant get so dirty. I carry a tube of non-leveling for emergencies.

Tags
roof, seal, sealant