Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #1

Question Roof sealant question

Hello all!

I have a 2005 Surveyor sv210. It has a rubber roof and I noticed that some of the sealant around the vents and end caps is starting to crack. Its not real bad but it is cracking. I have not been able to find any evidence of water leaks inside so I would like to fix this before it get worse.

I visited a local RV dealer and the parts department recommended hengs rubber roof coat to put over the cracked sealant instead of using more lap sealant. I was told you can't put new lap sealant over the old stuff.

I am trying to avoid a full scrape and reseal till this time next year....any input on the best solution would be very helpful.

-Matt
Blackcvpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We caulk over old sealant a lot to get through some bad weather or until we can remove and reseal properly. This time next year would be a stretch unless you check it every 30 days or so to make sure things are OK. Use Dicor 501LSW self leveling.
Wayne Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #3

The weather out here in Southern California does not get to bad....its all rain. I think it will be ok till next year if I can seal the cracks.

Does Forest River use Dicor lap sealant and will new Dicor lap sealant stick to the old stuff?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcvpi View Post
The weather out here in Southern California does not get to bad....its all rain. I think it will be ok till next year if I can seal the cracks.

Does Forest River use Dicor lap sealant and will new Dicor lap sealant stick to the old stuff?
Yes it will stick - IF you follow the application instructions. Dicor sells a primer/cleaner for this purpose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:07 PM   #5

Use Eternabond to reseal the seams and vents and never have to do it again!
Just make sure you follow the instructions.
phlyphyshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:23 PM   #6

Eternabond also requires their primer for best adhesion.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Eternabond also requires their primer for best adhesion.
If the surface is perfectly clean and dry, the primer isn't required. However, the primer does help to ensure a better chance at good adhesion, especially if conditions are less than ideal. Also important is to use plenty of pressure to ensure adhesion.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #8
GPW

I used Eternabond tape on my TD roof ... cleaned first with Acetone , then pressed/rubbed it down well with a big spoon ... No problems ... No leaks ...
But if you’re going over a protruding screw head or something , take special care to press it down securely all around the protrusion ... I used a heat gun and extra pressure and it really stuck in those areas ...
Sat out all summer in our intense Heat and storms ... no problems ... I will Never use a silly sealant like Dicor again that doesn’t last and must be inspected monthly ... I think the only reason the manufacturers use it is because it’s Cheap (in large quantities) and easy (quick) to apply ... But then it seems the Industry is all about Profits now , rather than making a Good problem free RV !!!
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 PM   #9

Well I went with Dicor. Did a complete scrape and reseal.

The original sealant lasted about 6 years in my climate so I figure I will be OK for a while.

Next time I will look into the Eternabond tape.

Thanks for the input everyone

Tags
roof