RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #1

Rotating RAM 3500 jack?

I just picked up my new Salem 310bhi last week. We love the camper, but the tailgate on my 19 F250 will only open 3/4 (if that) of the way because it hits the jack. This is going to be a big problem with my 100 lb lab. Iíve seen a few videos of people rotating the heads of the jack to the side for clearance, but canít find one of a Ram 3500. Has anybody done this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	550816C9-B8CF-422A-838B-F882C5621600.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	309561  
JPBabyRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 AM   #2

Take a look at the base what it bolts to the trailer, can you unbolt it, rotate, and reattach?

I've not done it myself, so I'm not sure if the head can be rotated, but you can sometimes rotate the entire jack.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #3

Read your instruction book on how to remove the motor head for maintenance.

When the head is off look at the position of the set screws to see if it can be rotated.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #4

I clocked the entire jack 90į for the tailgate on my 2500 to clear. There was less than a half inch, and when it was uneven it still didnít clear occasionally.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #5

I rotated mine on my 2014 ram 2500. Only two bolts (of 3) will line up but is plenty of strength for the tongue weight.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

Your post had me thinking RAM 3500 truck "why would someone want to rotate the jack on a truck, what jack?" well anyhow..............

Yes, the standard jack bolt hole spacing is uneven, which prevents you from merely turning the jack a third of a turn.

My suggestion is not the cheapest, but probably the best, get a hitch shank that is longer than what you have now.

My Bigfoot trailer has a Lippert jack on it, and I towed it with my RAM 2500 truck using a Equalizer hitch head and shank for another trailer.(without the spring bars) The tailgate would not quite clear the jack. It is 8 inches from the center of the pin hole in the shank to the center of the vertical holes the hitch head attaches to (this is what Equalizer calls a 12 inch shank, measured from the very front of the shank, horizontally to the very back face of the shank). When I finally set up the Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch I discovered the tailgate clears the jack, even with the truck turned. The Blue Ox shank is 9 inches from pin hole to bolt hole (which measures 13 inches, however Blue Ox does call it a 9 inch shank, so different companies have different ways of measuring). The extra inch was enough to allow the tailgate to open.

Reese gives a measurement that includes the head, but I am not sure from where to where. Generally the shanks are interchangeable between brands. You can mount a Blue Ox head on a Equalizer, or Bullet proof (with an adapter) or Reese or whatever. If you go this route you may have to call manufacturers and ask for dimensions to compare with what you have.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BXW4000_BlueOx_WeightDistributionShank7Hole9Inch_800x600.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	309627  
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:27 PM   #7

Edit expired. I did find that the RAM jack is made by Pacific Rim International LLC and after doing some searching I found a listing by the National Association of Trailer Manufacturers (NATM) for them but no web site is listed. I did locate this set of instructions
https://assets.rigidhitch.com/hitch_...J-3527-BBX.pdf
Which gives no hint of being able to rotate the head.

Also, I noticed that you have a 2019 F250. What size receiver does it have? 2Ĺ or 3 inch? I only ask because this will severely limit the choice of shanks if you have 3 inch, and you decide to pursue a different shank, for which the best bet is a Bulletproof shank (lots of choices) and the special adapter for receiver heads.

3 inch shanks
https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/c...ns/3-0-hitches

2Ĺ inch shanks
https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/c...ns/2-5-hitches

WD adapter
https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/c...tproof-hitches

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #8

thanks for the info. Would getting a longer not mess with the weight distribution/stability if the camper behind the truck?
JPBabyRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBabyRange View Post
thanks for the info. Would getting a longer not mess with the weight distribution/stability if the camper behind the truck?
Not enough to notice with that truck. New shank would have to have the hitch head installed so its the same height as the original. True the extra length can give the trailer a little more leverage to wiggle the truck around, but if you found a shank with the least additional length needed, I bet you would never notice it.

ANOTHER ALTERNATIVE, might be to replace the jack with one that the head can be re positioned on, if you think the tailgate only needs to clear the head and not the column of the jack also. That RAM jack is a fairly cheap jack at $110-$120 so its probably not a real good one anyhow, I bet. Of course if a tape measure shows that the tailgate won't clear the jack column if it is down, you have no choice but to go with a longer shank. The shank will cost a LOT more than a new tongue jack, especially if it is a 2Ĺ or 3 inch, which seem to bring a premium price.

I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered I could open the tailgate with the Blue Ox hitch, that is when I started measuring and discovered the subtle one inch difference.

Charles
Old 12-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #10

Check this out....

Should be able to rotate the head if you think it will help.
I think most jacks are about the same.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote