Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2020, 06:16 AM   #1

Round roof vents

I've posted prior to this with respect to a major reno I'm performing on my TT. I'm about to close up the back-end interior after a lengthy roof repair, and completely replacing the back wall. With the ceiling exposed inside I notice something a little odd. I have what appear to be 3 identical roof vents. One is definitely for the plumbing as I can see the stack exposed inside from the reno. The other 2, 1 at the front, and another near the back, are from what I can tell..... for show lol. They don't vent anywhere. There is no hole in the roof at their position. They're just attached to the exterior of the roof, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. On a home we have roof caps to vent the space between the roof substrate and the insulation. Should these vents be actually vented??
000brunswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 000brunswick View Post
I've posted prior to this with respect to a major reno I'm performing on my TT. I'm about to close up the back-end interior after a lengthy roof repair, and completely replacing the back wall. With the ceiling exposed inside I notice something a little odd. I have what appear to be 3 identical roof vents. One is definitely for the plumbing as I can see the stack exposed inside from the reno. The other 2, 1 at the front, and another near the back, are from what I can tell..... for show lol. They don't vent anywhere. There is no hole in the roof at their position. They're just attached to the exterior of the roof, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. On a home we have roof caps to vent the space between the roof substrate and the insulation. Should these vents be actually vented??
The roof vent is not just to help the odor, but to keep the water flow as low as possible. If you took a straw and put into water and caped the top with your thumb you hold in water and STOP FLOW. The only water meant to stand in a pipe is sinks, toilets, washing machines, etc. But for anyone who has any ordo inside your RV should use a cyclone plumping vent to extract all ordo while driving or dead stop. The outside pass wind will put the ordo out. I hope all of this is helpful. JUST DON'T CAP them.
van-gogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:02 AM   #3

I understand the vents with no pipe on them but are you sure the others do not have a hole through the roof? I would expect attic vents (don't have a better name for them) above the ceiling and through the roof.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Some pictures would help. Sometimes there are holes added in roofs for prep on other options, Solar, satellite etc.
What are the holes capped with on the outside?
Old 06-13-2020, 07:09 AM   #5

Yes I totally understand plumbing vents. But these other 2 vents aren't anywhere near any plumbing. They are attached to the roof but seemingly have no purpose. I'm wondering if I should be at the last drilling out a home underneath them to vent the "attic" space if you will.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:13 AM   #6

Here's a pic. The vent circled in red is the plumbing. The two in green go nowhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200613_091019~2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	289329  
Old 06-13-2020, 09:10 AM   #7

Manufacturers did start installing these so called attic vents a few years ago. Units with trusses and batten insulation have had moisture trapped and mold issues.
They don’t use any vapor barrier, so water vapor can easily enter this space.
If you haven’t had any issues to this point I am not so sure I would cut holes in the roof. Venting requires air in, and air out, so installing these is really a joke. Personally I like manufacturers that laminate their roof with the use of foam board, which eliminates this issue.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Manufacturers did start installing these so called attic vents a few years ago. Units with trusses and batten insulation have had moisture trapped and mold issues.
They don’t use any vapor barrier, so water vapor can easily enter this space.
If you haven’t had any issues to this point I am not so sure I would cut holes in the roof. Venting requires air in, and air out, so installing these is really a joke. Personally I like manufacturers that laminate their roof with the use of foam board, which eliminates this issue.
Yes I agree. In talking with some friends with TT's most have a laminated roof. Mine however does have this "attic space". There are 2 vents. One at either end. Sooooo in a way there would be airflow would there not? I'm a little perplexed with the subject. I've put a lot of man hours, and money into this reno so the possibility of the roof rotting after putting it back together is not something I'm interested in.
Old 06-13-2020, 01:31 PM   #9

This is an interesting thread...I was kind of under the impression that these roof vents were coming from each of my tanks (2 grey, 1 black). I put Camco cyclone vents on all of them and it now makes me wonder if I, pointlessly, put a cyclone vent on an “attic” vent...
St8-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:02 PM   #10

The attic vents will reach just under the roof sheathing, so it should be easy to see.

Personally I don’t think they do much, but I guess it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and cut them out.

Cold weather camping is when the water vapor will escape through this attic space. Being mindful of how much water vapor your creating will be most helpful, not these vents. If you don’t cold weather camp then I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s the warm moist air that rises to escape to the colder drier air. Just like a house needs adequate venting, and proper vapor barrier. The greater temperature difference, the greater the draw.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:30 PM   #11

I pulled the roof and front cap off today and I can say that the vent at the front was not vented at all. With respect to cold weather camping I guess it depends on what your consider cold lol. We're in South Eastern Ontario and camp until the end of September sooooo it gets chilly. We use the furnace I'll put it that way. I'll likely just use a hole saw and vent them both. I'm definitely putting some screen over the hole before attaching the vent cap again though. The front cap had a nice wasps nest in it. Not a fan. Thank you to everyone for their input. This site is very helpful. I'm hoping to be done the reno by the beginning of July. I'll likely stay a new thread and either link to pictures, or I'll make multiple posts and walk through all the steps we took. I've been taking quite a few pictures along the way.

Tags
roof, vent