Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Run AC while towing

We are planning a week long vacation, and we have a dog that may not be allowed in certain places we will stop. The dog will be riding in the cab of the truck while traviling, but I want to run the AC in the tt while going down the road, so the trailer will be cold inside whenever we stop to see attractions. I plan on putting the genny in the bed of my truck and run the shore power cord to it. Can I do this? What about back feeding the 12 charge line into the truck with the genny running? Thanks.
RussRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How fast will it cool down your trailer once you stopped? Just thinking that may work too .
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguyfromcalg View Post
How fast will it cool down your trailer once you stopped? Just thinking that may work too .
Probably on a 90º day it should cool down in 3-4 hours or so.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you do this: Depends on your truck & trailer (And generator, I hope it's something like a Honda Inverter type and not a contractor's) but no technicial reason you can not.

Depending on where your RV's power cord is you may have some issues running the power cord is all (Frame rails up to the tong (on the side of the rails) and lots of zip ties is my suggesition, 30 amp cord minimum)

As to back feeding the 12v from the converter to the tow vehicle.

Do not worry about it, nice thing about DC is that phase angles and such do not apply so the worst case is that one or the other "Source" (Converter/Alternator) takes a well deserved vacation.. assuming of course you have a 3 stage converter instead of something like a Magnetek 6300. If you are worried about it, trip the breaker for the converter and shut it off. But I see no problems, in fact even with a 6300 (Which never goes on vacation) I see no problems. The tiny charger in that thing won't meet the needs of the tow vehicle engine so the alternator will still have to contribute and it's regulated.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:53 AM   #5

Thank you very much that is JUST the type of info I was looking for. My shore power cord is near the front of the tt, so I plan on zip tieing it to the A frame up into the bed of the truck. Yes, I have a Honda Eu2000i genny. I have ran the trailer for weekend trips and it handles the ac just fine. It is going to be in the 90's here during the trip, and don't want to put the pup into a hot trailer. Not sure if we will HAVE to do this, but just wanted to check before we left. Thanks again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Can you do this: Depends on your truck & trailer (And generator, I hope it's something like a Honda Inverter type and not a contractor's) but no technicial reason you can not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Depending on where your RV's power cord is you may have some issues running the power cord is all (Frame rails up to the tong (on the side of the rails) and lots of zip ties is my suggesition, 30 amp cord minimum)

As to back feeding the 12v from the converter to the tow vehicle.

Do not worry about it, nice thing about DC is that phase angles and such do not apply so the worst case is that one or the other "Source" (Converter/Alternator) takes a well deserved vacation.. assuming of course you have a 3 stage converter instead of something like a Magnetek 6300. If you are worried about it, trip the breaker for the converter and shut it off. But I see no problems, in fact even with a 6300 (Which never goes on vacation) I see no problems. The tiny charger in that thing won't meet the needs of the tow vehicle engine so the alternator will still have to contribute and it's regulated.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why tell them you have a dog? If you leave him in the trailer while you are gone just turn the radio on to keep him quiet, unless he's a barker then all bets are off. I always give minimal information, 2 Adults, thats it. Name, Rank and serial number.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #7

Smile

I do it all the time, no dog. I just do it so the 5er is not so hot when we arrive because DW has trouble breathing when it is hot. Especially lately when it is so hot, works great.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Why tell them you have a dog? If you leave him in the trailer while you are gone just turn the radio on to keep him quiet, unless he's a barker then all bets are off. I always give minimal information, 2 Adults, thats it. Name, Rank and serial number.
It's not that we are trying to hide the dog from a RV park, but there may be times that we would stop to shop or site see. Where "no dogs allowed" would be the norm.

Tags
towing