Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 08:51 PM   #15

Seven years on the road with the LP run of the fridge and the only problem we have ever had is in heavy Crosswinds it blew out the flame once. I do however recommend turning the fridge off while fueling if it is on the same side as the pump.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #16

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes fridge on propane while driving.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:04 PM   #17

Are there any laws saying you need to turn it off when you are driving?
Slar62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:13 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put me in the camp that runs with the propane on while traveling.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:24 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slar62 View Post
Are there any laws saying you need to turn it off when you are driving?
Some tunnels, but they will be signed, right before you enter them.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:25 PM   #20
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Some tunnels, but they will be signed, right before you enter them.
Roger that
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:38 PM   #21

You are making more work for yourselves. That's what it's for. We start cooling the frig. a day or so before leaving on a trip ( ac powered ) Load food into cold frig. switch to LP for on the road. When you get to your campsite and have power switch to AC or if boondocking ( no power ) leave on LP. That's how we have done it for 22 yrs, with no problems.

Have fun traveling, be safe and enjoy your adventures.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:50 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Think about it, there is no difference running it on propane while in camp or on the road. The only thing I can think of that would worry him is if the burner went out. Possibly from wind or something? But if that were the case, the flame or heat sensor would shut down the flow of propane. Ours is literally on all year long (actually since new) except to fill the tank or when on gen or shorepower. These things are meant to be convenient. Rather a pain in the rear to drag a cooler and ice around. If I wanted to do that i would go back to tenting!
Old 09-23-2016, 10:08 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Nothing wrong with travelling with propane on and fridge running. Fridge must be turned off when refueling.

During our travels we have been past a couple spots where a trailer was on fire or the fire department was just cleaning up the last of the trailer and tow vehicle. Was it the tow vehicle or trailer that started the fire? What in the trailer started the fire if it started in the trailer? Have seen one video clip where a Class B with the fridge on started a fire in a service station.

We were able to travel with propane off and the fridge remained cold and frozen food frozen. Ran on propane or plugged in when stopped. I was concerned with cracks developing in line due to shaking of lines when travelling and propane leaking into the cabin. Since the fridge remained cold there did not seem to be any need to leave the propane on.

I know I am in the minority. If the fridge would not have remained cold we probably would have travelled with the fridge on.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:03 PM   #24

Have done it both ways. Five hours traveling with it off doesn't really matter if you already have it cold. Thanks for reminding me to turn off while fueling.
brabono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVWilley View Post
We are still pretty new to rv'ing (this is our 1st season). My husband doesn't want to drive with the propane on for the fridge due to safety. So we are still taking an ice chest and putting food in the fridge after connecting to hookups at the campsite. Do ya'll drive with fridge running on propane or is that not safe?

there are more safety features in your RV trailer propane system then in your tow vehicle fuel system

Lets start with the propane cylinders
*OPD service valve (Over Fill Protection)...internal device designed to stop cylinder from being overfilled (80% is FULL)
*Service valve body also has a pressure relief valve that will open if excessive pressure should occur (typically 375 psi)
*Spring loaded shut-off valve that prevent s propane flow if no hose is connected

Pigtail hoses.....(connect to cylinder and regulator)
ACME Nut (Green nut)
*Internal 'stub' that opens cylinder spring loaded shut-off valve when nut is properly attached/tightened to OPD Service Valve
*Excessive flow device (ball bearing check valve)
When in use ball bearing stays centered due to equal pressure on both sides of ball bearing. Should downstream pressure drops due to leak ball bearing moves towards hose output side minimizing propane flow
*Thermal bushing........melts if exposed to high heat (240*F +)
This allows 'stub' to move away from cylinder service valve which causes spring loaded shut-off valve to close

RV LP Appliances
*Circuit boards have 'safety' requirements that must be meet prior to allowing gas valves to operate (DC Voltage thru t-stats, thermal fuses, sail switches, limit switches etc) No Gas valve operation if not meet
*Circuit boards have 'flame proving' requirements in order to allow gas valves to remain open (thermocouples, spark electrode ---flame ionization etc.) Gas valve closed it not meet or is lost

RV Propane system is very safe system and if not safe to use while in transit I would not want to use it while sleeping.

OPD Service Valve (vertical float ---some have a hinged float)

ACME Nut components
Excess Flow Device

'Stub' to open shut-off valve

Thermal Bushing (newer version) ---older version is more exposed
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:59 AM   #26

Thank you all so much! I thought we could but always want to check with my SME's (subject matter experts) on the forum. You all have been so helpful (on all my newbie questions)
WVWilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:04 AM   #27

I run with the refrigerator running on propane. By the way you have some amazing campgrounds in WV. We went to the Exhibition coal mine in Beckley. WOW. And their little campground on top is a peaceful place for a stop over. I have seen a couple of motorhomes in there. However they do struggle to get up the hill. And the curve in the middle is tight. It only set up for 30 amp service. They have aa great walking trailer as well.
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 08:13 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
traveling with propane on and frig lit since 1980. no problems. Gas for frig operates at 1/2 psi. Barely harder than when you breath out.

Tags
fridge, propane