Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 PM   #1

Running Marker Lights While Camping

Does anyone know how to turn on camper marker lights while NOT hooked up to TV? I’ve seen a thread that mentions a jumper on the 7-pin connector but can’t find it. I’d like to run them at night for a little while to dress up the site.

TIA,

Charlie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've seen 7 wire plugs that jumper the hot lead to the lights.
But why add to the light pollution in RV parks?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I've seen 7 wire plugs that jumper the hot lead to the lights.
But why add to the light pollution in RV parks?

Like I said, just wanted to run them once in a while for a little while. Not talking leaving them on all night, maybe an hour or two.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:34 PM   #4

On a typical 7 pin plug from the trailer, hold the plug with the tab on the top at 12 o'clock and hook a wire or alligator clip between the two top terminals, 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock. I just did this yesterday to check that all my running lights were working before our next trip comes up.
Attached Images

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #5

The 12V terminal is directly beside the running light terminal in your 7 pin connector. They are the two closest to the alignment nub on the connector itself. Just slap a fuse in there and you’ll have instant lights.

As to the light pollution, I guess it would depend on where I’m camping. A busy campground with street lights? Who cares! A BLM campground near Moab where people come for the lack of light pollution in the night sky? I’d leave them off.

FWIW, I have mine on at this exact moment. We’re in the woods and it helps the kids orient themselves better while playing in the dark with their chem-lights. We have no neighbors.
WYO George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:40 PM   #6

I guess I typed too slow, others beat me to it.

I prefer to use a fuse as opposed to a jumper wire/paper clip, just in case....
Old 04-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. I am an astronomy buff, so light pollution is a pet peeve. The lights are of a spectrum that doesn’t disrupt my night vision (amber and red). I don’t turn on the LED under-awning blue lights or the porch light. Markers also Help me and the grandkids find our way back to the TT on moonless nights.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:49 PM   #8

I bought one from eco led at my local dealer had it for 5 years now works great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5988.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	242771
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:33 PM   #9

Really want to go all out......

Plug a 'turn signal flasher can' into the trailer umbilical cord and trailer running lights will BLINK ON/OFF ON/OFF ON/OFF

I use one when we are at visiting with others in CG.......easy to find which one is ours

I also have it handy in case of an 'emergency'.....just tell them to look for flashing lights on trailer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:18 PM   #10

I use one of my RC airplanes batteries to power our Running lights some times. I soldered up a little harness and just plug it in. A 2,200Mah 3S battery which is very small will power them for a few hours. The light are all LED too so that helps.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:15 AM   #11

Fuse?

A short piece of 14 gage solid core wire is all that is needed to jump the TT 12 volt supply to the marker lights. Pin connections are listed above.
You do not need a fuse in the jumper wire. There is already a thermal self resetting circuit breaker in the 12 volt supply line. The one on my Kodiak Cub is a 40 amp breaker.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Really want to go all out......

Plug a 'turn signal flasher can' into the trailer umbilical cord and trailer running lights will BLINK ON/OFF ON/OFF ON/OFF

I use one when we are at visiting with others in CG.......easy to find which one is ours

I also have it handy in case of an 'emergency'.....just tell them to look for flashing lights on trailer

That's a great idea! Just get a spare plug and solder in a flasher between the 2 terminals and tape it all up.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

Of course a fuse isn’t “required”, but I have spare fuses in a drawer by my door and they fit great so it certainly doesn’t hurt.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Plug a 'turn signal flasher can' into the trailer umbilical cord and trailer running lights will BLINK ON/OFF ON/OFF ON/OFF....
I've seen lots of dealers doing this at RV shows to draw attention to their rigs.

And the emergency use is more effective than just 4-way flashers as it also flashes the front and side marker lights. Bonus: As long as the trailer's battery is charged, it gives you some lighting if the tow vehicle has a dead battery, or has to disconnect for some reason.
EdBoz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, light, lights