Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 06:50 PM   #1

Rv awning not retracting

So this is a first.. I went to extend the awning and it rolled out really hard.

Now whenever I press the retract button it will not retract. I can hear the motor spinning but it's not doing anything.

I removed the covers to the motor. Motor appears to be working fine. I can see the gears spinning when I press the retract button. Whatever rod connects to the awning isn't engaging to retract the awning.

Im at a local park in Texas and have no clue how to retract this. Trying to remove the other cover on the opposite side to see if there's something to fix.

Does anyone know what could have happened?
ethan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #2

We don't know what brand of awning you have, but if the motor won't pull it in then you'll probably have to get a ladder or maybe two and roll it back in by hand. If you have a Careless of Colorado awning with a metal cover on it, that will hold it in. If you have some other style you'll have to devise a way to keep it rolled until you can get it fixed.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #3

Yeah, it's a careless of Colorado.

Awning has so much slack in it and it's getting hit with some strong wind right now..Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200717-202201_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	293601
Old 07-17-2020, 07:32 PM   #4

Spring in other end....the shaft in the motor may be just spinning in the extrusion that couples the motor to the roller....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #5

Your problem will be in the opposite end of your motor. A little nut or bolt comes loose. Had this happen on my T.T. about 3 years ago. Get it tightened up and you should be good to go!
dcardo021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #6

I was able to fix it this morning. Took no time to fix. Watched a video on YouTube for the similar style awning.

I was able to remove both caps at the end which were held together by two screws. The center of the cap has a groove that helps rotate the awning. On motor side the hole was worn out completely. So it kept spinning and not gripping to rotate. I was able to swap the caps and now it works perfectly fine. I still notice the awning retracts slower than extending. But it gets the job done.

I also used rope to support each end in order to remove the awning completely by myself.

Glad this wasn't a worse repair bc every where I called wanted to charge a heavy price to fix it. Such as replacing bigger parts when it was a simple fix.

I am about due for a new awning cover bc it is delaminating. Most of this awning came apart while driving so hopefully I can find a new one before it completely falls off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_122643.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	293726Click image for larger version

Name:	20200718_122013.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	293727
Old 07-18-2020, 10:41 PM   #7

Good deal....Some replacement materials come with a roller end cap that makes it a one made job also....guides the material....just use a lot of silicone spray in the slot.......as a handle for the material, I used 2 Camco deflappers.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:59 AM   #8

That is smart thinking. Good job with your analysis and subsequent fix. Agree, RV labor rates are crazy high. I have seen $110/hr. which seems high for semi unskilled labor.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning