Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2021, 08:42 PM   #1

RV Cover

Anyone here use and can recommend a good long lasting durable RV cover?
Preferably one with a decent warranty.
FossilHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2021, 10:15 PM   #2

Grand Design Owners Club
When I looked into covers I was dissuaded by those who felt they were not needed; problematic in fact. Windblown chafed rv finish, dirty work putting a dirty cover on after a trip (don't exactly fit in your washer), dangerous work climbing up there to put it on, etc.

Recommendation was to keep the rig washed and waxed instead.

I was at my storage space today and saw very few with covers. There was one cover blown off and partially abusing the rig next door as it flagged in the wind. Gave me the genious idea to get contact info for my storage neighbors.
BajaFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
Anyone here use and can recommend a good long lasting durable RV cover?
Preferably one with a decent warranty.
Even the best ones are good for about 3 years, even with a "warranty".

I used the best Covercraft cover I could get for my M3 and the NORCAL sun would destroy it in about 3 years. I accepted this and would just replace the cover on a regular basis.

These covers are good for UV protection and that's it. They don't keep the TT clean or dry. They gather dust on their surface, and the first rain drives that dust through the cover and creates a layer of "mud" between the cover and the vehicle. Wind will cause the aforementioned abrasion. I used mine not to keep the paint pristine, but to keep the interior temps down and block the sun from damaging the interior.

The camper isn't covered when in use, so it will still see harsh weather. The TT still needs to be washed AND waxed (or ceramic coated) on a regular basis, especially the roof. Shades can keep the sun out of the interior. IMO a cover is the least effective way to protect your TT.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:04 AM   #4

A well tied down cover won't chafe "too much". Like anything else in life it is all a trade. Personally I would wrather deal with the headache of the cover and protect my roof and keep rain off as much as possible than finding a massive rot spot in my TT due to a leak that developed while in storage. The cover also helps cut down the UV damage. I live on the gulf coast, we get lots of heavy rain storms

Down side... yes, they are a pain to put on and take off. Even in a light breeze it is really a two person job. You also have to find ways to protect the cover from all the protrusions on the RV, those pesky rain gutter spouts can be a pain (tennis balls with a hole work), the ladder can be an issue too. Pool noodles are your friend. It can take a bit of work and time to get all the pieces in place.

As far as brand... I'm on the search too. Currently using a 'Classic Accessories PermaPro' that has a 'lifetime warranty'. Less than one year of use and it's coming apart and sun rotted. Granted it was cheap. After I got it and read the warranty exclusions, I realized it really doesn't have a warranty as they exclude pretty much everything except a manufacturing defect at delivery.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 01:30 PM   #5

I wrapped my TT roof this winter; I do my boat every year too. It's a shrink wrap so it doesn't move at all - no chaffing. This spring I intend to either put up another HD "tent" to put the TT in or build a metal "carport". .....this will keep the trailer sheltered from the sun, rain, etc. I'd love to put it in my garage but it won't fit through the door, unfortunately.

IMO, a trailer's lifespan is largely determined by it's storage conditions, followed by climate and maintenance.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 02-18-2021, 02:33 PM   #6

I used a cover on my motorhome for two years. Last spring when I went to take it off the roof was wet under the cover. This fall the wife asked if we were going to put the cover on and I said NO. It is a pain to put on in this country as there are only 3 days in the year that the wind does not blow and it does not take much breeze to make it a pain to get it on. Also it is hard to get in the unit if you want to check on it. I got three 27' ratchet straps to put over the top to keep it from billowing as you can not get it tight enough to keep it from doing that.
Old 02-19-2021, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post
A well tied down cover won't chafe "too much". Like anything else in life it is all a trade. Personally I would wrather deal with the headache of the cover and protect my roof and keep rain off as much as possible than finding a massive rot spot in my TT due to a leak that developed while in storage. The cover also helps cut down the UV damage. I live on the gulf coast, we get lots of heavy rain storms

Down side... yes, they are a pain to put on and take off. Even in a light breeze it is really a two person job. You also have to find ways to protect the cover from all the protrusions on the RV, those pesky rain gutter spouts can be a pain (tennis balls with a hole work), the ladder can be an issue too. Pool noodles are your friend. It can take a bit of work and time to get all the pieces in place.

As far as brand... I'm on the search too. Currently using a 'Classic Accessories PermaPro' that has a 'lifetime warranty'. Less than one year of use and it's coming apart and sun rotted. Granted it was cheap. After I got it and read the warranty exclusions, I realized it really doesn't have a warranty as they exclude pretty much everything except a manufacturing defect at delivery.
My experience is exactly what jrollf and propchef stated. The cover will only help keep UV light off. It won't keep the RV dry or clean. It keeps some rain off but it's definitely not water proof. As long as you protect the cover from corner and sharp edges using pool noodles and tennis balls, it should last a couple years.

I have had 3 covers. The 3rd was supplied under warranty from ADCO because it ripped with in 3 months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9GWDVA...ing=UTF8&psc=1
csj3790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 07:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post

The covers are NOT waterproof. Water does penetrate the cover but the fact it breathes, it allows the water to evaporate. They are water resistant and breathable If the cover was totally waterproof you would end up with mold growing under it from normal condensation.

The biggest reason to cover is to keep dirt and UV from damaging the trailer.
I have a ADCO cover on mine. There have been some holes appear in different places where is has rubbed on things. It has a three year warranty also. I called ADCO and the told me there is nothing that will stop normal wear and tear. The did send me a large patch kit with enough material to last for a few years.

I try to keep things like gutter drains and corners covered with foam. It helps.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover