Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #1

RV Park Discounts

Here's the back story: In April the forest fire burning in NE New Mexico burned our house to the ground. We ended up buying a 2015 Gulfbreeze 30RBI to live in until everything is settled w/insurance and we find a house to buy in SW Colorado and no we're not building back in NM. I'm 74 and SWMBO is turning 70 later this year so we had planned on downsizing later this year but not to 240sqft! We're trying to maintain our cost outlay for services including park fees as much as possible. I'm a card-carrying veteran and we have senior parks pass but as we have found out so far about the only discount, we can get is $2/night. Since we're most likely going to be in this camper for a minimum of 3 months, we'd like to minimize our fees as much as possible. Paying out $1300-$1800/month really hurts. Looking for suggestions on options that may help us. Sorry, this is so long but we had a 5th wheel years ago when cost wasn't as much a factor as it is now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
khodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most campgrounds have a much lower monthly rate. Ask them, however discounts are usually only applied to daily rates.

Daily and weekly rates are much higher. A few of the parks in high demand areas are only offering daily and weekly rates. Overall, RV parks have increased their pricing, often too unreasonable rates simply because of the Law of Supply and Demand. You might try looking in an area that is in lower demand.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:04 PM   #3

Most homeowners insurance covers temporary housing costs if the loss includes the inability to live there. That would go a lot further towards making you whole than searching for a few dollars of discount. I think you are going to find many parks have eliminated or drastically reduced the discount on monthly stays. The vacation and travel market is too lucrative. Why would a park take $500 or so a month when the can easily get $60 to over $100 a night and still be full. Maybe in the late shoulder seasons, but not in prime time.
Bigceasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by khodgens View Post
Here's the back story: In April the forest fire burning in NE New Mexico burned our house to the ground. We ended up buying a 2015 Gulfbreeze 30RBI to live in until everything is settled w/insurance and we find a house to buy in SW Colorado and no we're not building back in NM. I'm 74 and SWMBO is turning 70 later this year so we had planned on downsizing later this year but not to 240sqft! We're trying to maintain our cost outlay for services including park fees as much as possible. I'm a card-carrying veteran and we have senior parks pass but as we have found out so far about the only discount, we can get is $2/night. Since we're most likely going to be in this camper for a minimum of 3 months, we'd like to minimize our fees as much as possible. Paying out $1300-$1800/month really hurts. Looking for suggestions on options that may help us. Sorry, this is so long but we had a 5th wheel years ago when cost wasn't as much a factor as it is now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
You could rent a house or apartment for $1,300-$1,800 a month.
If RV parks are charging that kind of money just to park, they're crooks.
I'd recommend coming up north for the summer
while your insurance situation is being worked out.
I can't imagine being cooped up in a camper all summer in the SW USA.
Here's a place in Evanston, Wyoming for $530 a month which includes electric:
https://www.phillipsrvpark.com/rates
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:00 PM   #5

I stayed in a RV Park in Florida that was $40/night but $500/mo. I choose the monthly rate.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 02:26 PM   #6

Does “card carrying veteran” mean you have full privileges, as retired or fully disabled? Your status and thus your privileges are printed on your DoD card. If you have full privileges, consider camping at a military base. Some are as low as $15/night with full hookups. Usually there is a stay limit of 14-30 days, but that might be waived considering your circumstances. That would be up to the base commander, so you should call the campground and ask. The lowest I’ve paid was $12/night (disabled rate) at Ft. Bliss in El Paso. Call around using Allstays to find the campgrounds.

Another option would be to camp on BLM lands for free. Two weeks before you need to move to another spot. All you’ll need is a generator, unless you want to invest in a lot of solar. You can make fresh water and propane runs with your tow vehicle, and dump uphill into a caddy in your truck bed using a macerator pump.

Sorry this happened to you. But glad you weren’t injured. Thank you for serving.
Old 05-29-2022, 04:25 PM   #7

I'm not retired from the Navy just a veteran who served his country. We live in a mountain region and don't plan to leave the area for several reasons. Insurance gives us money for temporary living expenses, but we still must be sure we're getting the most for our money. I'm not complaining just looking for options out there for discounts since we may actually be in a camper till the end of the year.
khodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 07:03 PM   #8

Those rates sound insane, we were on vacation in south east New Mexico in the mountains near Cloudcroft last September, and the place we were at (for just under a week) only charged $450 per month not including electricity for their full hookup monthly rate.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rv park