Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a custom mattress made at a factory here in Houston three rvs ago. Its a top of the line memory foam-pillow top. We had it made to fit our smaller "camper queen" spot in our first TT. We love it! Makes all of our trips so much better. We have had it for 7 years, now in its 4th home!

Even though it is 7 years old it has only been slept on about 9 months or so. I think it was a wise investment. Maybe if we ever get an RV with a King size we will have to let it go.

It was made by King Coil.
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought an 8" memory foam full queen to replace our rv queen. Did not need to cut off any of the length, just hangs over the end about 3 inches. Point is be sure you need the "short queen" before you settle for it and pay more because it is "special".
Old 06-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
So the stock RV queen mattress that came with our TT is not the most
comfortable mattress I have used.

Any suggestions on replacements or adds on, with out adding much more weight? As there a large storage directly under the bed which one lifts up
the bed to access.
Memory foam pad from Wal Mart.
tcopeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #18

I dinked around with memory foam pad for a couple of years and finally gave up on it. The memory foam would gradually compress until it bottomed out and I got a sore pelvis. I got one of these:Amazon.com: Serenia Sleep 8-Inch Memory Foam RV Mattress, Short Queen: Home & Kitchen

It is really comfortable! It came shipped compressed in a fairly small cardboard box. I unrolled it and let it sit for a few hours and expanded into a fantastic cloud. We use a select comfort at home and this is just as good or maybe better- the select comfort will bottom out if you aren't careful.
bartlettj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazingm42 View Post
So the stock RV queen mattress that came with our TT is not the most
comfortable mattress I have used.

Any suggestions on replacements or adds on, with out adding much more weight? As there a large storage directly under the bed which one lifts up
the bed to access.
I'm not sure if your mattress is too hard, too soft, or not offering enough support, but here are my suggestions:

Mattress toppers are perfect if you're putting them on a mattress you feel is just too hard or stiff. If you put them on a mattress that feels like it's sagging or bottoming out on the plywood, it's just going to cause you even more discomfort as you'll feel like you're in a hammock. Toppers do a great job of adding some plushness to your existing mattress at a low price. One of the downsides is they tend to slide around when you're changing positions during the night and every few days, you may need to reposition them on your mattress. If you don't care about that, this is a good option for low cost that doesn't increase weight much.

If you go the mattress route:
Generally speaking, a foam based mattress (memory foam, urethane foam, or latex) is going to be lighter in weight (though not always) than a coil based mattress because of all the steel in the bed (especially a pocketed coil style bed which can be very heavy).

Also, there are many thinner mattresses (usually around 5.5") out on the market which are very easy to lift to get to storage and even those can be more comfortable than what comes in your RV.

I hope that helps!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:24 AM   #20

We have a Sleep Number queen and we're going to ditch the stock mattress and put our SN mattress in the RV. That way we'll have all the comforts of home.

SN's may cost a little more but what's more important than a good night's sleep? :-)

Buying ours was the best decision we've ever made and I no longer have any back pain.
Lori Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #21

Unfortunately most mattress toppers will not help much off the base mattresses is bad. We have an absolutely wonderful mattress in our s&b but easy to heavy to use in our rv.

The mattress that was in our motorhome was horrid, it didn't take much to compress it completely. We installed a sleep number bed and that was ok but still left us wanting compared to our home bed. Now on all honesty we did not order the best sleep number, middle of the road model. At BedBath&Beyond I found an extremely plush (but expensive $500) mattresses topper. Adding that to the sleep number made a WORLD off difference. Coupon from BB&B saved is 20% which was great and we still saved over buying an upgraded sleep number.

Hope this helps-Steve
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Wife and I just purchased a new to us 99 TT. I also has a queen size bed in the front room and it's original! So I would say it has lived it's live cycle.

The issue we are having is we roll towards the middle and it keeps us from having a good nights rest. When I sit on it I feel like there is no suspension and I am about 2" off the wood. I am thinking about replacing it with a foam mattress. I can't sleep on an air mattress or water bed so I hope I can try one out @ the store.

Just wondering, are we thinking in the right direction? Someone told us to try and flip the mattress over but I just think it's out lived it's usefulness...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
For those that have a Sleep Number, are you still able to get to the storage that is underneath the bed? And, being new to the RV world, I am wondering: If I am dry camping, do I use the generator to pump up the bed? Being in Utah, we have high-altitude mountains, and Sleep Number suggests that we deflate the mattresses before driving up the mountains. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. We have been struggling with the mattress issue. We have a sleep number at home, but am having a hard time justifying the cost of a SN for a few nights a summer in the MH.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #24

Camp, yes we can still lift the bed to get at the storage space. I know about the high altitude warning but I would assume that if you are not running at max inflation there shouldn't be an issue. We are currently headed to Jackson hole from Houston, bed doesn't look overly inflated yet (we are about 180 miles from Jackson)

Safe travels
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
I am thinking about replacing it with a foam mattress. I can't sleep on an air mattress or water bed so I hope I can try one out @ the store.
Serta is a name brand name available a Sam's Club. They have a Serta queen-size gel-foam/memory foam mattress that sounds like it may be right for you. You can try it out at any mattress store that carries Serta, then if their price is higher than $500, buy it from Sam's.
Serta Gel Memory Foam 12" Queen Mattress - Sam's Club

The advantage of that mattress is it's easy to cut off the excess length if your RV won't handle a full 80" long queen size mattress.

If you use Costco instead of Sam's, they have similar memory foam mattresses.
Novaform® 14" Gel Memory Foam Queen Mattress

Fitted bottom sheets for RV queen size mattresses are available at Camping World, so if you have to chop off the foot of the mattress you can still get sheets that will fit.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by campgeek99 View Post
For those that have a Sleep Number, are you still able to get to the storage that is underneath the bed? And, being new to the RV world, I am wondering: If I am dry camping, do I use the generator to pump up the bed? Being in Utah, we have high-altitude mountains, and Sleep Number suggests that we deflate the mattresses before driving up the mountains. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. We have been struggling with the mattress issue. We have a sleep number at home, but am having a hard time justifying the cost of a SN for a few nights a summer in the MH.
Storage is not a problem under my SL. As far as cost I went to the Sleep Number site and they were having a sale. Bought it and had it shipped to my home. Love it. Like you one at home, one in the coach. My back loves it. As long as you have a generator your all set. Never noticed much of a difference in elevation problems with the bed. My advice is save your old mattress and if you ever trade RV's swap and you'll already have your SC mattress for the next one. Good luck.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:59 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought an 8" foam mattress at Sam's for a platform bed in our guest room worked out well so we bought a full sized Queen 8" for the coach, less than $300 delivered thru Sam's on-line.
Our coach bed had a spring support system and that allowed too much sag in the center so I just laid a piece of 4' x 6' 3/8" plywood in the center on the springs. Worked great no more sag (I weigh 230), I will eventually remove the springs and go to a MDF solid platform. The bed lift gas springs were getting weak so I bought a set off e-bay 20" @ 120# rating, wife now now lifts bed with one hand. Total investment under $300 sleeps good. we have about 4/5" overhang at the foot but we have enough room, an electric kitchen knife can be used if you need to trim a mattress.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Camp, yes we can still lift the bed to get at the storage space. I know about the high altitude warning but I would assume that if you are not running at max inflation there shouldn't be an issue. We are currently headed to Jackson hole from Houston, bed doesn't look overly inflated yet (we are about 180 miles from Jackson)

Safe travels
Gate quoting myself, but here is the update, bed didn't look over inflated but the bed settings had moved from 45 to 99! So it does bare paying attention to as you go up in altitude