Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #1

RV tire balancing

We have recently purchased a brand new tt and would like to know why the manufacturers do not balance the tires on the trailers. Am I missing something, I know that unbalanced tires on vehicles will result in uneven wear not to mention a rough ride. Is it a conspiriacy with tire manufacturers or doesn't it really matter?
kurtdnellson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #2

Have been towing trailers for 40 years, no trailer tire has ever been balanced . I've always taken the tires off and took them in for balancing on every tire I've owned. I believe if it spins it must be balanced. Saves the bearings and brakes .
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #3

I've said before, if you don't check the balance of your brake drums, there is no point in balancing just the tires. Trailer hubs and drums are not balanced and can be far worse than most tires. You should balance the entire assembly, to do less is a waste of time unless it just makes you feel good.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Funny thing, the brake drums on my trailer have the balance weights attached to the drums, they have been balanced at some point in their manufacturer. Any tire and wheel goes round and round and needs to be balanced.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #5

Well said lynnmor. Some service garages will balance the tire, wheel and drum as one assembly if you ask them to.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:07 PM   #6

It doesn't matter.

I've had three different 5th wheel trailers and one TT and probably 9-10 tandem/triaxle/tandem dual axle equipment trailers with 14"/15"/16" tires. I've had several different boat trailers up to 5500 lbs.
Never had a tire balanced nor have I had any pre mature wear issues RV folks like to talk about.

My current 5er is a good example. Its 40k miles into the 3rd set of LT tires and has over 120k miles on the chassis. The only thing replaced on the suspension was a wet bolt kit at 35k miles and new brake pads at 55k miles. Bearings and all else are OEM.
I use nothing but LT or P tires on trailers.

There are several reasons tires on a trailer don't get balanced or need to be balanced which have been discussed and cussed before.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:16 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are concerned about tires and brake drums being out of balance, why not look at www.dynabeads.com If you use the beads, you can install yourself and they will balance the whole works when done. The beads keep you balanced even after any tire wear or damage and can be reused.
Lot's of threads out there about beads, for and against. I use them on my motorcycle and never felt any imbalance.
sswilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I put about 10oz of 6MM plastic BBs in each ofmy tires on my trailer. It works quite well for me.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

It does matter , if you don't balance the trailer tires then why balance the pull vehicle's tires. If it spins it must be balanced. Vibration destroys everything.
Old 11-30-2013, 01:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Funny thing, the brake drums on my trailer have the balance weights attached to the drums, they have been balanced at some point in their manufacturer. Any tire and wheel goes round and round and needs to be balanced.

Ken
Funny thing is that I have never seen balance weights on a trailer brake drum. Maybe some very heavy axles on large trailers have them. My drums required as much as 5.5oz. to bring them into balance. Is there anyone out there that ever checked theirs?

I agree, any rotating assembly should be balanced, that's why I balanced mine.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:37 AM   #11

I just but 4 new Loadstar tires on my TT and was informed buy the tire supply that 90 % of people do nat balance TT tires. Weel at $12 to mount , and $15 to mount and balance, i had them balanced. I have never not balance a tire ( auto/ motorcycle ) so for $3, why not ??? Plus he only charged me $50 when i picked them up !!!!!

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #12

The cheapest insurance you'll ever buy
Old 11-30-2013, 06:36 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
If it rotates, it should be balanced. Other than the fact that you're not riding in the trailer to feel out-of-balance tires shaking the dickens out of everything, what exactly would be the difference between balancing trailer and tow vehicle tires?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #14

Trailer springs are 25"-27" long and make a big damper un like our trucks with 70"-76" long flexy springs that need large shocks and must have balanced tires. Balance issues are apples vs oranges with a truck vs a trailer.

Like our older '50s and '60s trucks with those short 36"-42" long rear main spring packs that may have 8-10 leafs in a one ton truck and 5-7 leafs in a 1/2 ton truck. Unbalanced tires and worn out shock were a non issue. The springs were so short their was no balance/vibration issues with a good tire and eliminated bounce issues from the worn out shocks. Shocks on those old trucks were long and skinny and very weak compared to todays truck shocks.

I'm of the opinion if the trailer owner thinks the tires needs to be balanced then go for it.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote