Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1

Rving in TT after medical issue

I've been out since May , trying to get back out this spring . Have weak quads to get up from sitting , stepping up some stairs , squatting position is no right now
My wife is GREAT help this year .
We bought a higher directors chair that's the seat is higher off the ground

Any ideas on coping with leg disability
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #2

Good thing it's a TT not a fifth wheel. I would think a ramp to help you get in the door.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Need a lot more information. One leg affected or two? Can you walk at all?

Please define "leg disability."

I have some but need to know what you current condition is to judge if my solutions would have any value for you.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Agree that a long ramp w/o too much angle would be something to try. You can make yourself stronger by spring if you work hard at it. Being stronger will help in anything you need to do.

Maybe also think of some sort of additional railing to help hold onto.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #5

[ strickerQUOTE="Dog Folks;1862183"]Need a lot more information. One leg affected or two? Can you walk at all?

Please define "leg disability."

I have some but need to know what you current condition is to judge if my solutions would have any value for you.[/QUOTE]

Most of the time I use my walker , started to use a walking cane in rehab . I can walk with assistance . I can do 1-2 stairs that are 5" high . Going up is better , going down is a lot harder... Can not bend the knees , no quad control yet , no bending down to pick something up , use a "picker"

I have not tried the fold out stairs on the TT. Yet.
I can get in the truck on the drivers side going in butt first , stepping up on the rail , grabbing the hand hold and using a red bar assit that locks on to the door
And I push off that with my left hand , right hand reaching for the hand hold .

May 28 I was started to mow the grass and turned to come out of the garage and broke my right ankle and feel forward. I thought it was a cramp and my wife helped me up and I took a couple of steps and feel forward again

The ER at methodist missed my broken ankle and said they thought I had Rhabdomyolysis . Now I'm at UTSW in Dallas , they are thinking some kind of nerve
Anyway trying to get some Ideas . We bought a exeirsize step , it's 30"" long and 4" tall . I started using that to step in the truck on the passenger side.

Have not tried it , but lay it in front of the TT fold out stairs to cut down on the height to the 1st step .

I'm very strong from waist up and from , below the knee down ... Setting in a chair , Lifting the leg straight out is hard . Bring the leg back down and under is good
I have to have help sitting on the floor , to get up I can scoot over to a couch and lift with my elbows with my back to the couch and scoot in . Once there the wife can pull me up
I do rehab twice a week ,, 2 hrs each time
I have access to a rec pool in doors in the mornings , that has a lazy river and I walk with and against the current , I have water exeirsize from the rehab to use . It's a hour long

Any suggestions will be appreciated
Thanks
Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #6

iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the extra info. You have some of the me issues as I, but for different reasons.

If you can climb the stairs it would be better than a ramp and walker. They make a large exterior handle for the RV. I would worry about the overall stability of a portable ramp. Here is a link: Grab Handles - Factory RV Surplus

Just try to limit the number of times a day you need to climb the stairs.

Also ask your doc or physical therapist if a ramp or a handle would better for entry to the trailer.

Have a grab handle with arms reach everywhere inside. I have balance issues besides walking/standing issues and they are so helpful. With you upper body in good shape, they should help you too.

Get a travel trailer so that there are no inside steps to negotiate.

Good Luck and keep up with the rehab. The stronger you are, the better.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies,
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
capsfloyd,

Member WilleyB was helpful to me in explaining how he modified his RV from 2-3 steps for his wife who has a few issues with mobility. 3 steps aren't as deep and easier to navigate.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have any suggestions other than keep at it.

The fact that you are doing as much as you can is good, rather than sitting around and not doing anything.

A few of my friends and I were just talking about this the other day and a lot of the recovery is based on a positive attitude and it looks like you've got that covered.

Better to wear out than rust out.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:48 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
More rehab, 4 times a week. You can do it at home with cheap rubber straps.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #11

Sorry to hear what you are going through. One thing I can say is to never give up because you will be better in the end despite how hard and/or painful it might be now. As an example, when you hear people saying they want to try a wheelchair or motorized scooter, often they never get out of them after that because muscles weaken too much and they can't recover. Rv-ing will give you the motivation to work through it.

DW has worked with many disabled workers in the past and the following includes some of her suggestions:

electric steps to avoid bending down? Stromberg Carlson - RV Steps & Step Accessories -

extended handrail http://http://www.strombergcarlson.com/store/products.php?categoryParentName=RV+Hand+Rails&cate goryName=Commercial+Rails

another extended handrail by torklift.com (see photo below) GlowGuide - Multi-Use Handrail The handrail even doubles as a brush handle. Cool!

Another idea would be to reduce the rise of the steps by adding another one. Having a longer tread depth may help but I don't know if there is such a thing for TT steps. Torklift has some stairs with 6" risers that might work.

I would consider a "soft grab handle" as opposed to the swing out types. The swing out ones aren't all that ergonomically correct as you have to swing your arm beside and behind you as opposed to pulling yourself inside. You might also consider putting a grab handle on the inside to assist leaving the TT.

I think you will find that a handicapped ramp would not be practical because of the rise to run that is required of min. 2:12 and max. 1:12. That would mean a ramp at least 12' long. Who would set that up and how? And you would want a handrail too.

There are wheelchair lifts specifically for RVs. They may be expensive though. Google "RV wheelchair lift".

I would investigate what's available for handicapped van conversions. There's all sorts of ramps and platform lifts available and you might be able to adapt something. This stuff can get very expensive though.

myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
More rehab, 4 times a week. You can do it at home with cheap rubber straps.

He should ask his PT's how much and when.... muscle fibers need to recover a 24 hours in between sessions, but he could work different muscle groups than he works during therapy on the days he doesn't do therapy....
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are companies that make disability aids for just about anyone.. One company makes a chair/platform lift that is designed for RV's. I can not tell you much about it, I can't even give you the company name, but I have found it in the past just traveling the net.

This might help you getting into and out of the RV better.

Another option is a lift, basically a bi-direcitonal winch with a "T" bar handle on the end of the cable, You grab on and push the proper button and it lifts (or lowers) you into/out of the trailer.. HOWEVER I do not know if your trailer can easily mount one.