Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
I did a search and did not find any subject on tire chains. Being a neophyte would someone discuss the need for tire chains for 5th wheels if one gets caught in a winter road condition. Many thanks, Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
maverik/gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I did a search and did not find any subject on tire chains. Being a neophyte would someone discuss the need for tire chains for 5th wheels if one gets caught in a winter road condition. Many thanks, Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
Old 12-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Head South. Forget the chains
Old 12-09-2007, 01:11 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by maverik/gypsy:
I did a search and did not find any subject on tire chains. Being a neophyte would someone discuss the need for tire chains for 5th wheels if one gets caught in a winter road condition. Many thanks, Maverik </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have an F450 4X4 so conditions would have to be really bad for you to require chains however if there is a chance that you could get stuck with a need for them either because of the weather or traveling where it is posted as a requirement to travers a particular road the go with what the owners manual for your F450 says under the section on tire chains.

Of course it may be simpler to just do as allready suggested; "Head South. Forget the chains".
Old 12-09-2007, 06:11 AM   #5

Back in the days prior to random uranalysis testing and it was only the dog and myself I towed a 27ft 5th in snow with a Chevy dually. Got real scary at times. I put cable chains on all 4 tires on the 5th and all 4 on the truck rear and drove real slow. I never had a problem getting started but the stopping was hair raising at times. I adjusted my brake controller periodicaly as the snow and traction conditions changed. Chaining up was something I didn't do for the guts or glory but because I waited too late and I had no choice if I didn't want to wait for the spring thaw. I recommend that if you feel like it's something you gotta do then use cable traction aids not chain. Chain is too agressive and it will vibrate the screws, rivets, cups, saucers, food, clothes, etc out of wherever they were when you started out. Ther is a reason why the birds head south for the winter... Good luck!!

Workhorse W-24
Rock-Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Many trailers won't have sufficient clearance between the tires and the fender, shocks, frame, etc to allow chains without damage to the trailer. Lateral stability on ice would be a big concern when those conditions prevail.

I don't even carry chains, if it's that bad I'd like to not be out in it with the trailer.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:07 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is my understanding that chains on non "drive" wheels do little if any good.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 12:57 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
You might want to do a search on "drag chains". These are chains you put on the trailer to assure that the truck doesn't have more braking force than the trailer. If it does, you will experience an instant jack knife - the trailer will try to pass the truck.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Many thanks all. Right on MM ---excel is sitting in fl right now. There is a possibility that I might have to travel (parent illness)into the snow regions. But since your comments, probably best to leave my excel home and fly or drive truck and rent a place to stay. My DW and I do have pets living with us---creates a responsibilty that has to be factored into our decision. Hoping for the best, Maverik

05 Excel CLO36
Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 AM   #10

If it gets bad enough, I'd suggest running chains on the rear axle on the truck, and the rear most axle braking axle on the trailer. If it isn't deep & soft snow, cable chains are likely sufficient, and as noted above vibrate less and can avoid clearance issues.

As posted above, it's keeping the trailer from locking up and sliding around sideways, or from pushing the truck's rear out sideways when stopping that I'm most afraid of.

I think a really good brake controller that matches the truck and trailer braking smoothly (IE Brakesmart) is also most valuable when it's slick.
Jeff_in_The_Dalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:34 PM   #11

I have seen people chaining up trailers on a steep downhill on Flattops in CO this late fall. I thought it was funny but then thinking about it, made a lot of sense: a fairly steep descent, wit 16" of fresh snow, packed at the top and slushy lower down - yikes. Any kind of abrupt application of brakes and the trailer would pass you downhill, unless it has decent traction. I would be going down those mountains at 5 mph if I had to do it.
-P

TV: 1998.5 Ram 2500 CTD
PaulDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 03:22 AM   #12

this web page will have every tire chain known to man.... great to deal with , I got my plow truck stuff in 3 days. If your in the mountains I think chains on at least one trailer axel is a good idea . Towing my 4500 lb snow mobile trailer in the mountains in high winds and heavy snow I have never had a need to chain up the trailer , If you need chains on the truck to pull then its not a bad idea to have some on the trailer to stop and keep it strait !

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/car-tire-chains.html
Old 12-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #13

Read the Oregon chaining requirements. Use "truck trailer chaining requirements" search terms to find other state's requirements. If the tow vehicle is required to use chains the trailer(with brakes) must also.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
thanks to all for the continuous info on the need for tire chains. This is a safety topic that could be very meaningful in future travel this winter. The info from XC and Ray is worth everyone's reading. So far, my travel is a negative. Maverik

05 Excel CLO36