Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 06:16 PM   #1

Screwing down battery box

I am considering screwing down my battery box to the trailer. I have my battery located in the rear of the 2 propane bottles, close to the trailer front. It has 2 angle iron "rails" which would allow 2 boxes. I am thinking
about putting a few screws into the bottom of the battery box to secure them to the trailer.

Any thoughts on why this is a bad idea?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #2

Make sure the heads of the screws holding the box aren't exposed in a way that they will wear a hole into the battery case. If you shoot screws straight down you can cut a piece to cover the screw heads.
I'm pondering a similar thing, that is drilling a drain hole in the bottom of my winch battery box on my car hauler as it keeps catching and holding rainwater.

The designed em to be leak proof, mainly for boats, but I can't see how it would be any different having a drain than it is any about every car you see that has no box.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:15 AM   #3

Mine came screwed down. I did drill some drain holes because water can get in through the vents in the top of the case. Also got a metal lock strap set up to prevent theft. Also installed a battery cut-off switch to prevent battery drain while stored. See link for locking strap:

12 Volt Battery Bracket
padre44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:13 AM   #4

Thanks for the idea padre...
Old 06-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #5
IC2

On one of the long gone TTs we had, I used some 1/4" carriage bolts with one size larger fender washers to clear the squared off sections to hold the battery box on the angles. I also made up a wood spacer to keep the battery away from the bolt heads as well as provide better drainage.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, scr