Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2020, 11:40 PM   #1

Seriously Looking

Hello All,

My financial situation just put me in a position to stop day dreaming and seriously start looking at Travel Trailers. I am about two years of from my purchase so I thought I would hop on the forum and get acquainted.

Right now, the budget I have in mind is 25,000. I have seen some good prices, around 22,000 on Keystone RVs, which would leave 3 left over for outfit the travel trailer. What I am looking at right now is a 25' Springdale 258RLWE floor plan with the slide-out. I am by no means set on brand at this moment. What I am looking for is a floor plan without bunks. For some background, this will be for my Wife and I - as well as our Corgi, we are in our mid 30's, no children and none will ever be coming to both of our mothers dismay.

We have found ourselves living out in Spokane, Washington. While we love what this city has afforded us since we have arrived - steady income, a new house, no credit card debt, expendable income, money into retirement; this city is not a good fit for us. We have been somewhat nomadic since we got married in our mid twenties, we lived in California, then moved up to Portland, over the river to Vancouver, WA, out to Idaho, then to Spokane. Moving here was more a less a fluke helping take care of my wife's mother during a breakup and a pause in my employment while I went back to college.

Anyway, the idea behind the travel trailer is to explore new cities that might be a better fit for us, as well as to see some good friends which are now scattered over the country at this point. Thankfully, I have pretty good equity in my home, and the market I am in now is one of the hottest in the states - I could sell it pretty quick if we find something, or perhaps we will grow into Spokane - who knows? I pitched this idea to the wifey and she loved it, I love my wife!

The ideal situation would be go out 2-3 times a year on longer excursions using our vacation and floating holidays days from work, as well as weekend local glamping adventures during the spring and summers, Washington is beautiful after all! (I told my wife one day I would find a way to get her to go camping - I figured it out!)

The additional costs for me will be parking, I have a large back yard with a fence that used to roll open (before I bought it) that is along a dirt side road. I will have to budget in getting a rolling gate installed or see about doing it myself. Additionally, I would want to get a cement slab poured to park the TT on - i'm sure I could do compacted dirt but a cement slab isn't out of the picture yet.

To tow, I have a 2019 Ram Classic 1500 Warlock 5.7 4x4 (has towing package). It has the 3.21 axle ratio unfortunately, which is not the best for towing but I think it will get the job done, but I will watch my tow limits.

I wanted to say hello, I am poking around in the threads and will have plenty of questions for you all about the process and my eventual purchase.
SirGuyNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2020, 01:26 AM   #2

We raised our kids and lived in Spokane for 15 years and loved it. But we now live in the Puget Sound basin. There is great camping all around Spokane in any direction.

In terms of your trailer choice, make sure its weight is within your tow rig's capability. Also are you planning to use it in freezing conditions? If so, that probably would require a different design trailer.

Enjoy the search. We did. After a series of trailers and RV's, we just purchased a Tracer Breeze Extended season 22' which is actually 26' long.
BurienTimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 02:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurienTimmer View Post
We raised our kids and lived in Spokane for 15 years and loved it.

In terms of your trailer choice, make sure its weight is within your tow rig's capability. Also are you planning to use it in freezing conditions? If so, that probably would require a different design trailer.

Enjoy the search. We did. After a series of trailers and RV's, we just purchased a Tracer Breeze Extended season 22' which is actually 26' long.
Thanks for the reply. A lot of people like Spokane but its just not for us sadly. No offense to anyone who likes Spokane, its just not what we want - since we have the opportunity to scout and explore new locations, why not do it - ya know?

After looking into it, if I want to stay at 80% of my gvwr (8,280), I should stay near 6624, might need to look at something lighter, this particular model would be at 7,600 fully loaded not including a weight distribution hitch....- not stuck on any model, I liked the floor plan. Maybe way down the line if I need to upgrade ill trade in the truck or change out the gears to 3.92 to get 10,450 tow cap

Not using it in freezing conditions no, leaving from freezing conditions yes! We aren't much for winter recreation tbh, it most likely would be stored or taken to more temperate climate to use during the winter.

I look forward to the search and getting on the road!
Old 01-31-2020, 02:53 AM   #4

To tow comfortably for most 150/1500 series trucks I would stay around 6,000 - 6,500 lbs.

I like the Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S in that weight class.

You get a walk around short queen bed with a wardrobe slide plus a slide in the living area and rear bath. Trailers with rear bath usually have a larger bathroom because it goes across the whole back of the trailer.

If your budget is 25k you can look at trailers with a 32k MSRP.

RV shows are going on this time of year so maybe try to go to a few.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:09 AM   #5

I second the rockwood mini lite suggestion (flagstaff is the same trailer so look at those as well.) and would add grand design imagine xls into the discussion.
Sky1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #6

Sky1926 brings up a good point. Rockwood/Flagstaff are twin trailers. The Flagstaff that is the same as the Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S is the Flagstaff Micro Lite 25FBLS. These trailers are identical except exterior graphics.

I like the Rockwood/Flagstaff trailers because they are solid. Walls, ceiling, floors all feel very solid. Push on the ceiling of most trailers and there is some flexing but not on the Rockwood/Flagstaff.

Use YouTube to view trailers as that is a good way to do a preliminary look.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:47 AM   #7

One more vote to go lighter. 80% is close, 60% is better especially for the first tow. Also, seriously consider used trailers. These things depreciate like mad and as a first time user you may have little boo boo's that detract from the value. Bigger detract if it is new. Also, and others may argue this, picking the first trailer often ends up as the wrong choice. Once you two have camping and pulling experience you will know better what suits you. A well kept 5-10 year old unit will serve your needs and if/when you change the financial loss will be minimal.
And watch youtube videos. Some are pretty dull but you will learn from them.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the information everyone - I am going to go lighter! That 2511S floor plan is slick, perfect for two (I hope your on commission!)

I'll be walking into every show that comes up, there are a few of them.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #9

No, not on commission but that is a trailer I am looking at buying. This will be my 4th RV.

Oh, want to mention to work a larger battery into any deal you make. Even pay the extra $40 for the larger group size 29 over the much smaller standard group 24 battery. The $40 should cover their cost to have a bigger battery box and battery installed.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

Oh, want to mention to work a larger battery into any deal you make. Even pay the extra $40 for the larger group size 29 over the much smaller standard group 24 battery. The $40 should cover their cost to have a bigger battery box and battery installed.
I will be sure to have more questions about the negotiations once I get closer to that point. With that being said, I hear a lot of people going to two 6A golf cart batteries in series - more recharge cycles and longer power. Would a dealer do a deal on that or charge me full price do you think?

Also, is the 5-10k off MSRP price that you often see on a lot of trailers just the standard way of things? Are there better deals on new previous year models?

I could go into the used arena and see what I find. The used at the dealers are priced so near the new, I don't see the point unless I am missing something. Going out on my own looking for a rig myself without enough experience worries me. I don't want to be trapped in a junker with a lot of repairs to get it down the road with things working proper. I understand that even the new ones can be hit in miss and i'm sure there will be projects and of course maintenance, repairs - I just want some initial break-in time with a new trailer without the hassle of someone passed down problem - maybe i'm being to harsh.
Old 01-31-2020, 04:41 PM   #11

Quality Travel Trailers

Winter of 2018 I joined the Dutchmen Owners forum and expressed my disappointment with my new Dutchmen Kodiak Cub. My opinion of Dutchmen travel trailers has not improved since then. Total cost of ownership has not been lower than much higher priced trailers.
Last year I found a thread on iRV2.com started by a new member who wanted advice on what to buy for his first travel trailer. What followed was a compilation of 1000’s of camper hours of experience and a list of brands from owners with firsthand experience. Needless to say Dutchmen and many other Thor companies were specifically not recommended. Their only advantage is low purchase price. Jayco is now a Thor company and the last 3? model years are also specifically not recommended. A short list of recommended brands and brief comments follow. I wish I had this information before buying.
Artic Fox
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi
$25k to $50k thermal pane windows
Hamersville Ohio (Cincinnati)
Outdoor RV
Difficult to find east of the Mississippi , $25k to $50k
Thermal pane windows, dealer in Denver.
Cooler in sun, Excellent support
Lance are $10-$25k more than the same length ORV Creekside or Timber Ridge.
2018 28'8" Timber Ridge was $34,700
Air Stream
Recent corrosion problem
Grand Design
Insulated well
Winnebago
Was Sunnybrook
Grand Design
One bad review
Elite Suites
Lance
Newell
TIFFIN
Excellent service
Nash
Oliver Travel Trailers
A company with a different business model.
New TT's are only available from the factory, no dealers. They have none in stock. They are only available by ordering. There are very few floor plans and sizes. Only the best components are used.

Easier to tow:
Air Stream, Oliver, and Escape are streamlined shaped trailers of high quality that are true cold and hot weather campers. They are easier to tow. They are heavier than many light weight and cost a lot. However, you get a lot more.
There are others that have curved leading and trailing roof edges. These also tow a little easier (see Forest River Rpod as an example). I have no first hand reviews of most other trailers.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGuyNate View Post
I will be sure to have more questions about the negotiations once I get closer to that point. With that being said, I hear a lot of people going to two 6A golf cart batteries in series - more recharge cycles and longer power. Would a dealer do a deal on that or charge me full price do you think?

Also, is the 5-10k off MSRP price that you often see on a lot of trailers just the standard way of things? Are there better deals on new previous year models?

I could go into the used arena and see what I find. The used at the dealers are priced so near the new, I don't see the point unless I am missing something. Going out on my own looking for a rig myself without enough experience worries me. I don't want to be trapped in a junker with a lot of repairs to get it down the road with things working proper. I understand that even the new ones can be hit in miss and i'm sure there will be projects and of course maintenance, repairs - I just want some initial break-in time with a new trailer without the hassle of someone passed down problem - maybe i'm being to harsh.

Yes. 2x 6 volts better than 1 12 volt

GENERALLY speaking (not the end all be all) 30% off MSRP is the going rate...plus or minus a few %
Sky1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 05:55 PM   #13

30% off MSRP is about right - what most would call a "good" deal - not great and not bad.

You can get some good deals used. I found one listed at $34k MSRP. They had it on clearance new for $20k about this time of year. I wasn't quite ready to buy so I waited 8-9 months. Found the same model listed, bought 11 months before. I got it for $16.5k. So used less than a year and 50% off MSRP.

RVs lose a ton of value when you drive them off the lot. If you're looking for the most for your money, it will always be a lightly used model.

ETA: the used one we got was listed at $20k. I negotiated down to $16.5k. Gotta work hard if you want the deals.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:04 PM   #14

Also, the idea that you have to spend $40k to get a decent camper is nonsense, IMHO. A cheap camper that's stored under a cover and out of the sun/rain/wind is going to last a lot longer than a nice camper that's stored outside in the weather. My point - how you take care of the camper is way more important than how much you spent on it, if you're trying to avoid maintenance issues. My parents bought a Coachmen Catalina Class A motorhome in 1997, and stored it inside their shop for 15 years except when we were using it. I can't recall a single actual problem with it, other than the add-on exhaust brake had trouble from time to time. Never once had an electrical, plumbing, structural, leak, etc. problem. My 2016 is constantly getting complimented for looking brand new. I keep it in covered storage, and then put a soft cover on it to avoid fading from reflected UV light. Maybe a little OCD, but it's sure nice when I go camping and don't have to worry about problems with my rig.

Now i'm mostly talking about people who are going to use their camper once a month or less, and not in extreme weather. If you're going camping in sub-freezing or ultra-hot temps, or full-timing, then yeah, you need to buy a high-quality rig. But cheap rigs are fine for hauling around in normal, temperate climates on relatively infrequent trips.