Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2022, 07:39 PM   #1

Setting up Trailer for Long Term

We are in the process of purchasing a Puma 28DBFQ. Plans are to set it up on some land we just bought near the coast and pretty much leave it there. My question is do I need to put it up on some jacks/blocks or will I be ok to leave the weight on the tires. I am going to build a pole barn over it and will pour concrete eventually, but it may be a dirt floor for a while.
countryhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #2

Not sure what kind of jacks/stabilizers you have on that trailer but if you try to get the majority of the weight on those, the better for a non shaky experience. I mean try to lift the trailer on them as much as possible and get the weight off the tires. Lots of folks cover their tires thinking it makes them last longer but up to you. Trailers like that the weak spot is the roof, likely "membrane" and the self leveling goo around the various vents and skylights. Keep an eye on that, and above all beware of the mice. They love trailers so don't leave any food or paper products, #1 not to leave toilet paper. Set traps and d-con if pets can't get at it.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #3

If you don’t have an auto-level system, do not try to lift your trailer with stabilizers. They are not made to lift the trailer.
Jack stands or blocks will make it more stable, especially if you get a pair near the axle(s) to get the weight off the suspension.
Skirting will help with heat/cooling and frozen plumbing.

As said above…
Plug the holes to keep the critters out.
The roof and seals are the weak points on all RVs. Keep them inspected.

Tires can get a flat spot if left too long in one place. Ozone will eventually degrade them anyway after 4-5 years.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:00 AM   #4

Hmmmm..... describe how your long term will be in weeks... months or years.
Some have asked that question but their long term was two months. Others were permanent...others 6 months of winter storage.
WE store our 11200 lb/32' rv trailer for sometimes up to 8 months in a trailer shed. Usually 3 times a winter I rotate the tires 45 degrees or so. I use LT tires and they keep for 7-8 years before tread wear gets close to the bars.

New or old tires ?
Old tires may last a year before internal (term) dry rot gets them.

New tires...and a year storage I would take the weight off them if your going to need them in 2-3 years.

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-storage.aspx

Of course this from Goodyear works for all tire brands/ST or LT or P tires on our trailers
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 11:22 AM   #5

It doesn't have the auto-leveling, just stabilizer jacks. I know those aren't meant to lift the trailer. I was asking about if I should put some jacks/blocks close to the axles to take some weight off the tires in addition to using the stabilizer jacks.

It will be semi-permanent. Only plan to move it if it has to go in for maintenance or if I need to move it for a storm coming.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #6

The simple 4 pack of the screw type jacks help a lot with leveling and motion.
To hardish plumb the waist drain is cheep and easy. Just get the thin white plastic pipe and add the ends as needed. I dont even use a slinky anymore, i have one but its for special times. I have multiple lenghths of the plastic with rubber splices and it works great. Putting some sun protection on the awning where it is always exposed when rolled up, helps keep it from rotting sooner.
I havent had a rodent in the 6 years in this TT, but moisture is my biggest problem with the cheep press ( whatever they make the cabinets out of ) they love to absorb and swell.
Happy Glamping.........
Old 01-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #7

In your case, I'd block the frame up in 6-8 spots and wouldn't bother with the stabilizers.....I'd probably take the wheels off.

Dave
Old 01-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryhick View Post
It doesn't have the auto-leveling, just stabilizer jacks. I know those aren't meant to lift the trailer. I was asking about if I should put some jacks/blocks close to the axles to take some weight off the tires in addition to using the stabilizer jacks.

It will be semi-permanent. Only plan to move it if it has to go in for maintenance or if I need to move it for a storm coming.
If that case......
Just set it up as if 'camping' ------stabilizer jacks/tongue jack set and add some screw jacks on blocks for/aft of axles to take the 'bounce' out of the suspension

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:17 PM   #9

Should I take all the weight off the wheels and then put the stabilizers down?
Old 01-19-2022, 08:24 PM   #10

Unless you are going to remove/store the wheels why bother?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 08:55 PM   #11

I just didn't know if it was best for the tires/suspension.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #12

Ultimately it depends how often you plan on moving it and how much work you want to do when you do. Since UV is the biggest factor in TT tires deteriorating, I'd consider removing them and storing them in a garage or shed.....also makes the trailer pretty hard to steal! ;-)

All of the stabilizer type jacks still have movement; if I was setting up a trailer for semi-permanent use, I'd put it down on blocks like I do with our job site trailers; rock solid.

Dave
Old 01-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #13

What do you use to block it up? Cinder blocks, boards and wooden wedges?
Old 01-22-2022, 06:01 AM   #14

I use RR ties cut in 36" lengths under the front and rear main frame rails on my trailers. I turn them at angles so they don't roll . We did this for 7 months while our house was being built.....or just last summer raising the 32' 11200 lb trailer off the tires so I could replace all wheel bearing grease seals and service the hubs/brakes and R/R suspension parts.
Sometimes I take all the weight on the tires ....or block up from there to just stabilize....depending on what I'm doing to the trailer.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer