Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2018, 11:00 AM   #1

Sewer Hose Question

We're about to start our second season with our 22' 2017 Bullet ultralight. I still dread emptying the black tank. I use the Valterra Sewer Solution because I can pump the waste through with the grey water hose as it's emptying and don't have to worry about the dump connection being higher than the hose.

My black and grey water outlet isn't really high off the ground. Maybe it's because of the size of my tires (R17s). I noticed that a lot of dump receivers are also elevated off the ground.

If I wanted to use a hose like the Rhino Flex, what would I do if my sewer hose is lower than the dump station because the dump station receiver is elevated off the ground for some reason?

Thanks!
ScenicView is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #2

They are elevated so rain water doesn't go into the holding tank. When the black and grey tanks have emptied, starting at the trailer end lift the sewer hose off the ground to finish dumping what might be left in the hose, then give it a rinse.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:16 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
If the bottom of your tanks is higher than the sewer pipe the tanks will drain and you will just have what remains in the hose as it goes uphill. This is one of many reasons to dump the black tank first then the water from gray tank will force the black tank sewage out. Once all tank flow quits close tank drain valves and disconnect the drain hose at the rv connection and QUICKLY raise it higher than the sewer receiver pipe to drain your hose.
Many sewer receivers are higher than surrounding ground to help prevent rain water from entering and over taxing the sewage treatment process.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #4

The more often you drain the tank, the more comfortable you will get with it. Don't fret, just dump it and move on. Like others said, always dump black, rinse it a few times, then move on to the grey tank. Unhook, lift the hose so the remaining water runs into the dump and carry on.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 PM   #5

I always lift the hose to empty it before unhooking. Then I flush the hose with fresh water before I unhook from the dump.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Poly Food Service Gloves - 18", Elbow Length - just because you gotta do what you gotta do....
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:28 PM   #7

Just glove up - go slow - check your connections down to the sewer receiver - dump the black - use your black tank flush system - close your valve - check your connections - Dump your grey - close your valve - rinse out the hose, cap the end and disconnect.

Remove your gloves after all the parts are stowed and use some alcohol based hand gel.
NYJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #8

What you need is a clear hose adaptor that goes between the waste gate and the hose, so you can see when the tanks are empty....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #9

I use a clear 45 that stays attached permanently.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote