Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2020, 11:06 AM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Shade for Trailer Driver's Side?

Hello, I'm in south Texas for the winter, but its still really warm now. The sun hits on the driver's side of my travel trailer (right where my dinette/office) is located. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to shade that side? Thanks in advance for answers. Happy Weekend, Joan P.S. I didn't want anything heavy.
joankearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joankearns View Post
Hello, I'm in south Texas for the winter, but its still really warm now. The sun hits on the driver's side of my travel trailer (right where my dinette/office) is located. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to shade that side? Thanks in advance for answers. Happy Weekend, Joan P.S. I didn't want anything heavy.
Magneshade work?

https://www.magneshade.com/
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #3

Reflectix cut to size for windows and any upper cabinets.......available at Lowes or Home Depot ........I use the window shades to hold it in place.....cuts with scissors......
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:28 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Occasionally, we use a mesh tarp (Harbor Freight!!) hooked to the corners of the slide. Really cuts down the sun penetration, and still can see out well. Use ball bungees and tie down to ground at an angle with same. Holds up to the wind pretty well, and cheap and light. Have a couple of them in diff sizes. Can also use attached to the awning on door side to cut down on light and heat on that side also.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #5

I don't think you will have to worry about that sun very much longer as mid October usually means clouds and rain. My friends were in S. Texas a year ago and said it rained a lot in October, November, December and January.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuquala View Post
Occasionally, we use a mesh tarp (Harbor Freight!!) hooked to the corners of the slide. Really cuts down the sun penetration, and still can see out well. Use ball bungees and tie down to ground at an angle with same. Holds up to the wind pretty well, and cheap and light. Have a couple of them in diff sizes. Can also use attached to the awning on door side to cut down on light and heat on that side also.
2X on cheap HF shade cloth and ball bungies. I have two of the mesh tarps. One is the largest they make and the other is 10x12. I replaced one bolt on the bracket of my solar panels with a cast galvanized eye bolt which gives me something solid to bungie too. Purchased a few steel stakes and drive them in and bungie cord the bottom to hold the cloth away at an angle. Just for curiosity one day when temps were in the mid 90s, I got out my HF temp gun and shot the temp of the side of the motorhome in direct sun and behind the shade cloth. Full sun temp was 130 on the white and 155 on the dark blue. Behind the shade cloth wall temps were 30-50 degrees cooler. My slide corners are square so I have to put a chunk of split "pool noodle" over the corner to keep the cloth from snagging the corners.

I'm using the smaller tarp right now for a windshield shade. I fold it in half and bungie it up across the windshield, with a light bungie holding the bottom half down. Makes a huge difference in the heat coming through the windshield. Well worth the $19 I paid for the mesh tarp.

Before using the tarps when temps were over 100 my two air conditioners couldn't keep up, with the tarps, the inside was still warm but comfortable.

Something else I did a few years back, more for winter, but it works for summer too is to make insulated window inserts. Because some places frown on Reflectix in the windows, I bought some white canvas at a fabric store and covered one side of the Reflectix sewing it around the edge. The canvas blocks light and I can use it white side out if I need to, or white side in. They make a big difference in both winter and summer. When not in use the shades slide down behind the couch. For the badroom I did something different buying insulated shade material. It has two thin layers of polyester batting with aluminized mylar in the center. I hung them under the valance with spring rods and added a couple of small eye hooks so I can roll them up and secure them with a small bungie. Not only do they really cut down on window sweating in the winter, and heat in the summer, the black out the windows which helps with sleeping. We both think these simple mods have really paid off in additional comfort.
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver, trailer