Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #1

Sheet metal separating

So I took my TT, 2021 Aspen Trail LE, on it's first trip on the interstate since buying it and this happened twice. Once on the way to the campground and once on the way home. I was able to pop it back in both times. From my understanding it's the wind getting up under the top piece of sheet metal that causes this. Anyone ever have this happen and if so how did you fix it? Click image for larger version

Name:	20210402_152429.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	323932
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #2

2021, warranty issue. If you DIY it could void the warranty ?
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy-c View Post
2021, warranty issue. If you DIY it could void the warranty ?
It is but the dealership I bought it from has a crappy service reputation and I'd like to get it fixed without having to cancel any summer trips. If I absolutely have to I'd take it in.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:16 PM   #4

That shouldn't happen. I had to rebuild the front of my Jayco due to water damage, and those panels are not easy to get off! They are typically stapled at the bottom, and the top fits into a groove on the sheet above. I wonder if maybe they forgot to staple the top sheet at the factory. I understand your concern about missing camping season. Something as simple as duct tape might hold it well enough until you can get the dealer to work on it, but that should easily be a warranty issue. And it is certainly inviting water damage. Imagine driving down the interstate in a rain storm with that gap? It would ruin the camper in no time. I'm a huge DIY fan, but I wouldn't DIY that one if I had a warranty.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:07 PM   #5

speaking as a sheet metal worker, I'd pop it back in place and secure with some blind rivits or a couple sheet metal screws and then seal with high velocity duct sealer and Dicor.....but only if you wanted to DIY

Dave
Old 04-06-2021, 06:33 AM   #6

Although aluminum siding is fairly easy to pull off and on, doing it on an brand new unit under warranty would be counter productive.

This repair could easily be done in a three or four hours.

I would (adamantly) insist on a one-day appointment from the dealer's service department.

Also, I would take some more photos and send them to Dutchman. They may be able to light a fire under your local dealer.

Quote:
From my understanding it's the wind getting up under the top piece of sheet metal that causes this. Anyone ever have this happen and if so how did you fix it?
I doubt if it's the top sheet coming out. It should be stapled along the bottom.

More than likely the lower sheet isn't tucked far enough into the sheet above. If that's the case all the sheets from there on down will have to be moved up along with the offending sheet.
Which may cause additional problems when you get to the bottom.

Can you post some more photos?

If you do repair it yourself one option may be to glue it in with some 3M 8115 Panel Bond.
Shoot a liberal amount into the seam and reassemble. Clean up the mess with wax & grease remover (won't harm the finish).
Old 04-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post

Also, I would take some more photos and send them to Dutchman. They may be able to light a fire under your local dealer.

This is a good idea and probably the route I'll take.
Old 04-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandIUEC View Post
This is a good idea and probably the route I'll take.
The only problem I can see by calling Dutchmen and having them contact the dealer is now you have a dealer that is on the defensive. He may fix the problem but who knows how well or how long it will take. I you do make the call, see if Dutchmen can recommend another dealer.
glwinger is offline   Reply With Quote